Topic: Implementing BabyFace Pro to my Fireface UFX-II - best approach

Currently my only audio interface is RME Fireface UFX-II (running happily under Big Sur).
The analog INS and OUTs of the Fireface UFX-II are all used and I want to add one analog unit with 2 x XLR inputs and 2 X XLR outputs.

Since I have the Babyface Pro next me, I was thinking to use it as additional I/O for the external analog unit (mastering EQ+compressor)

I think that I could do that in 2 way:

1) Power the Babyface Pro externally (but not connected to my computer via USB),
connect the Firface UFX-II and Babyface with 2 ADAT cables,
and use the Babyface Pro as A/D/D/A convertor.

or
2) Connect the Babyface via USB to my computer (not use the ADAT connections) and
create an aggregate device in my computer containing the Firface UFX-II and the Babyface Pro.

I would like to know if my thinking is correct at all and
if it is what would be really the best way to go.

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.

Re: Implementing BabyFace Pro to my Fireface UFX-II - best approach

1) Is the best way in my opinion, as you can still control the mic inputs on the babyface unit using its hardware controls and everything is under the same UFX II totalmix window.

2) Can work on MAC however you would still need a physical link (ADAT/SPDIF connection) between the 2 units in order for them to be clocked correctly when using aggregate device. One unit needs set as Master (internal) and the other as slave (Optical in).

Thanks!

OK, going option 1 requires a good power supply for my Babyface Pro. Do you know what is the recommended one?
Once the connection and input/output configuration of the Babyface is saved, it will keep it. Just double checking if my understand is correct.

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.

Perhaps it is obvious for all the users, but not for me, the reason I ask again.
Is there a recommended power supply for the Babyface Pro? I am located in Europe.
Any advice is very much welcome.

BR Stef

5 (edited by ebmmbongo 2023-02-15 00:51:19)

StefanSNO wrote:

Is there a recommended power supply for the Babyface Pro? I am located in Europe.

Since it accepts a locking connector, RME:s own owuld be a good chioice:)
https://rme-audio.com/cables-adapters.html
https://www.thomann.de/se/rme_ntcardbus_x.htm

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Thanks,

The RME's own power supply with the locking connector is now with me, and it is connected. Cool!

However:
My idea was/is the use BabyFace Pro WITHOUT a computer - in standalone mode - as a D/A and A/D converter.

The babyface pro and Firface UFX-II are connected via 2 toslink cables.

If I connect my Babyface Pro to my Laptop (MacBook Pro), and TotalMix is running, all is fine,
I can use the Babyface Pro as D/A A/D converter, exactly as I want it :-).

But, if I run the Babyface in standalone mode (no computer, just powering it with the power supply),
it looks that no signa/audio is sent back to my Fireface UFX-II from the Babyface Pro.

Strange.
Can you gents comment what is wrong?

BR Stef

7 (edited by waedi 2023-03-23 19:38:39)

Nothing is wrong.
You just did not yet performed the routing as explained on page 90 in the user manual.
Here copy of this :

The input signals can be routed/mixed to the outputs by activating the unit’s Mix mode:
Use OUT to select the desired output
Use IN to select the input with the desired signal source
Push MIX. The input LEDs start to flash.
Use SELECT to choose between left, right or both input channels  Turn the big knob to set the actual monitoring/routing level
Continue with all inputs and outputs as you wish

While the setup is simplified (no panorama available) it is still very efficient and will address most needs. Also a different input can be mixed onto the same output.
Of the eight ADAT channels only channels 1/2 can be controlled from the Babyface Pro.
! All settings are stored within the unit and do not get lost until the next time stand-alone mode is used.

Use the ADAT channels 3/4 instead of the ADAT channels 1/2 for transmit and receive audio from the UFXII

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

8 (edited by StefanSNO 2023-03-23 20:11:56)

Thanks!
:-)

Any reason to use ADAT channels 3/4 instead of the ADAT channel 1/2 for transmitting and receiving audio from the UFXII?

BR Stef