1 (edited by stustu 2023-03-26 19:56:48)

Topic: Fireface 400 and M2 Macbook

There is a post here that shows it's possible to run FW400 devices with the current software, which I was pleased to see:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/search.php?s … 1322634746

But I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions of a more direct route, since I don't have any FW800 devices to bridge to Thunderbolt. So if possible, I'm looking to use the Fireface with the M2 MacBook, with a single cable if that's possible, or as few adaptors as I can.

The FF400 was such a great sounding interface, and after a long hiatus from music production, I'm happy that it works at all. Be nice to skip a FW800 device in the middle though.

Thanks in adavnce.

Re: Fireface 400 and M2 Macbook

You can get a 9-pin to 6-pin (FW800 to FW400) cable, then you do not need the extra adapter. You will need an external PSU connected, this Thunderbolt connection does not provide sufficient bus power.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

To make this more clear, you will still need both the Apple USB-C to TB2 adapter and the TB2 adapter to Firewire. No way around that if you don't have a TB 3/4 to FW unit or dock (docks with FW no longer exist).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

I've followed the instruction and was able to configure my FF800 to a Mac Mini M2 with the TB4-»TB2-»FW setup. It seems to be working perfectly but I am wondering, since it's a Qlab setup for a theatre, if this setup is really "showproof". Going through 2 adapters rings a bell for me. Has anyone tried this setup for a long time and can tell me about the stability of it?

Thanks