Re: New macOS RME HDSPe series driver – public beta test (1.07)

We'll check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We'll check.

Thanks. I'm just replying here to make it easier to see if you've added a reply from the main forum view.

103 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2023-03-23 16:04:03)

In case you've not seen it, the driver has been released as version 1.08 and can be downloaded via RME website. There is an issue with the link of the driver file though:
it reads

so the domain and download folder is twice in the link so here is the correct path: https:/rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_mac_hdspdk_408.zip

I don't find this wrong link. Where exactly did you see this?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

105 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2023-03-24 08:46:05)

It was on the driver download page:
https://rme-audio.de/de_driverKit-Info-hdspe.html

but it is fixed, the download of the driver just works now

106 (edited by mlprod 2023-03-25 20:52:43)

May I ask what those performance improvements mentioned in the changelog are?

Edit: btw the 1.08 driver is called 4.08 on the main site.

After testing the 4.24 version on a Mac Studio the last two days, I've to say: Great work!
No issues with drop-outs, the latency reported is spot-on and (at least in my imagination) there is a lower base-line system load.
Why is that noteworthy?

• My AIO interface is 12+ years old.

• With expansion cards.

• It is sitting within a TB3 case.

Still in 2023 everything is working - even with new(er) stuff like the ARC USB.
Thanks for the ongoing support...

drvdd wrote:

After testing the 4.24 version on a Mac Studio the last two days, I've to say: Great work!
No issues with drop-outs, the latency reported is spot-on and (at least in my imagination) there is a lower base-line system load.
Why is that noteworthy?

• My AIO interface is 12+ years old.

• With expansion cards.

• It is sitting within a TB3 case.

Still in 2023 everything is working - even with new(er) stuff like the ARC USB.
Thanks for the ongoing support...

4.24 is the kerner driver, this thread is about the driver kit driver.

I did a lot of testing of the driver kit version 1.8 and unfortunately have some issues:
- there are still random burps and noise sounds (way less than the versions before though)
- switching between applications can cause clicking sounds
- Meters in TotalMix sometimes blink / flash

kol.ut.shan wrote:

I did a lot of testing of the driver kit version 1.8 and unfortunately have some issues:
- there are still random burps and noise sounds (way less than the versions before though)
- switching between applications can cause clicking sounds
- Meters in TotalMix sometimes blink / flash

Have you tried with Ventura 13.3 yet? I saw someone saying they fixed audio glitching.

111 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2023-03-28 18:55:46)

I tried with beta 3 and am now installing beta 4 - lets see if that improve things smile

edit: I obviously got that wrong, I was already on 13.3 final and the updater is offering 13.4 to me - but I'm not sure if I'll going to install that already.

kol.ut.shan wrote:

I tried with beta 3 and am now installing beta 4 - lets see if that improve things smile

Why not the official version released yesterday?

I just edited my post (did not saw your reply) I was already on the release version and mistook 13.4 beta 1 for 13.3 beta 4

kol.ut.shan wrote:

I just edited my post (did not saw your reply) I was already on the release version and mistook 13.4 beta 1 for 13.3 beta 4

Ok! Bummer then.

...does macos ventura require the new driver kit driver or is it still possible to install the old kernel driver?...

116 (edited by drvdd 2023-03-29 17:19:30)

Scheffkoch wrote:

...does macos ventura require the new driver kit driver or is it still possible to install the old kernel driver?...

The Kernel driver works just fine - running 4.24 under Ventura 13.3

(Yes, this is the Driverkit-Tread. I just wanted to be helpful...)

....thanks for your reply!...i didn't want to hijack the thread, i'm just wondering why everyone seems so obsessed with installing a beta driver when there is actually no need to do so...i'm on monterey and 4.24 works perfectly fine but i may upgrade to ventura in the near future so it's good to hear that 4.24 still works...thanks!

The need to do so will arise soon enough, when Mac OS stops working with the old drivers...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

119 (edited by Jperkins 2023-03-30 22:55:58)

RME Support wrote:

The need to do so will arise soon enough, when Mac OS stops working with the old drivers...

This is my thinking too. I'm normally not too afraid to try new software (I do a lot of beta testing for audio apps/plugins) but between the (in my opinion) complicated process of converting from the old drivers to the new drivers, and the reports of dropouts and performance issues with the new drivers, I'm not too interested in trying the new drivers right now on my 2019 Intel Mac Pro when it's working OK and I'm very busy.

My current plan is to just install the new drivers right away when I get either a new M2 Mac Pro when they are ready, or a Mac Studio. I will decide once the new Mac Pro is announced and more details are available.

I hope the new drivers are as stable as the old drivers by that time. Any reports on progress or findings from RME would be great.

The old drivers I have are amazingly stable. I've recorded thousands of hours of masters from my analog chain at 96k with some plugins running live and there is NEVER an issue.

Jperkins wrote:
RME Support wrote:

This is my thinking too. I'm normally not too afraid to try new drivers but between the (in my opinion) complicated process of converting from the old drivers to the new drivers, and the reports of dropouts and performance issues with the new drivers, I'm not too interested in trying the new drivers right now on my 2019 Intel Mac Pro when it's working OK and I'm very busy.

My current plan is to just install the new drivers right away when I get either a new M2 Mac Pro when they are ready, or a Mac Studio. I will decide once the new Mac Pro is announced and more details are available.

I hope the new drivers are as stable as the old drivers by that time. Any reports on progress or findings from RME would be great.

The old drivers I have are amazingly stable. I've recorded thousands of hours of masters from my analog chain at 96k with some plugins running live and there is NEVER an issue.

Totally agree, currently using the old style drivers on my M1 Max MBP / Ventura which is absolutely great. But getting a bit worried by these user reports + my own tests of a previous version of the driver. Hopefully you (RME) can make it as stable and dropout-free as before whenever we no longer have a choice.

Scheffkoch wrote:

....thanks for your reply!...i didn't want to hijack the thread, i'm just wondering why everyone seems so obsessed with installing a beta driver when there is actually no need to do so...i'm on monterey and 4.24 works perfectly fine but i may upgrade to ventura in the near future so it's good to hear that 4.24 still works...thanks!

In my case, it's the only way I can aggregate my 3 Multifaces with Cubase.

122 (edited by rens 2023-04-06 10:25:20)

Could use some advice from this group.

I am in the process of upgrading from an older mac (2018 mini 10.15.7) to a new M2 (13.3)

current setup:
- mac mini 2018 intel with HDSPe MADI FX
- OS 10.15.7
- firmware v91
- driver 1.28

If I upgrade my card to the new driverkit firmware in order to test with the driverkit user space drivers on 13.3, will it still work properly with the older drivers on 10.15.7? I am paranoid about losing the stability on my older production system before I am ready to commission the new one.

any advice gratefully received. I am hoping to use the long easter weekend to effect the upgrade if all goes well.

If the advice is to stay with the kernel driver im ok with that!

It will not work with 1.28, but under 13.3 you can flash back to the former firmware (Legacy) - then it will work again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm experiencing the same 'HDSPe Settings' App not opening with the latest officially released drivers - HDSPe Madi Fx Card in a Sonnet case, macOS 13.3.1, MBP M2. What's the recommended way forward? Seems mlprod switched to an earlier version - is this the way to go for now?

An official update on this from RME would be great. RME drivers are known for being extremely stable but the situation here has me concerned about stability/dropouts in the near future when moving to the newer driver kit.

mg_ wrote:

I'm experiencing the same 'HDSPe Settings' App not opening with the latest officially released drivers - HDSPe Madi Fx Card in a Sonnet case, macOS 13.3.1, MBP M2. What's the recommended way forward? Seems mlprod switched to an earlier version - is this the way to go for now?

I think that was a bug with multiple cards setup that was fixed.

Jperkins wrote:

An official update on this from RME would be great. RME drivers are known for being extremely stable but the situation here has me concerned about stability/dropouts in the near future when moving to the newer driver kit.

I haven't tried the newest DK driver (1.08), no time yet...

I'm hoping this is this the correct place to post this question?
My ADI-2 Pro FS been playing very nicely with Antelope and UAD devices as an aggregate device in Mac Mohave (cubase). Flawless.

Which version of the RME Driver will stand me in best stead for recreating this on the m2 mac mini ventura? Currently can not seem to pair the RME in any configuration that works (other than completely by itself) - I'd like to continue using 120 channels... not 2! I'm really struggling... and hit a brick wall,

My M2 mac mini been sat as a doorstop for the past few months as I scratch my head. Any ideas? Could it be driver related?

The ADI-2 Pro does not have any (Mac) driver, so if there is an issue it must be something else.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm hitting a problem on 1.08, which I'm fairly sure I didn't hit on 1.07.

I've been mentioning a problem with my 3 Multifaces, with their HDSPe cards in a Sonnet Express III chassis, where one of the cards has a relatively high noise floor. On 1.07, rebooting the Mac cured it, but now I have to reboot maybe 4 times to clear the problem.

I'm guessing that part of the problem is that the Express III chassis only powers-up when the Mac powers up, so there's a sequencing issue. The cards don't run until MacOS has essentially already started.

Any thoughts on why 1.08 might be worse in this respect? ...or maybe it's a relatively new MacOS update applying power to the Thunderbolt connecting later than it did before?

I'm aware my setup is "a bit unofficial" being a Mac Pro 5,1(2012) with a current version of Monterey installed(via OpenCore), but i'd like to report that software playback doesn't seem to work with a 1.08 driver and my AIO, maybe because the card is recognised as a thunderbolt device and my Mac isn't really compatible with it. I can reroute the signal via built-in SPDIF out and into the AIO and it seems to work fine, but can't find a way to make software playback work. Anyway, i'm back to the kext driver and everything is fine. Not sure it's even worth investigating since installing newer versions of MacOS or even Ventura on such old hardware that is no longer supported officially by Apple is already bit of a hassle and kinda pointless, but reporting my findings nonetheless.

132 (edited by Jperkins 2023-06-02 02:56:23)

Here's a better question. Is anybody using the new DriverKit driver without any issues?

Is it still a public beta or has RME made it an official "stable" release?

I have a feeling I'll be ordering either a refreshed Mac Studio or refreshed Mac Pro next week or very soon and ready to do a fresh install with what is supposed to be the most current drivers.

I just tried the DriverKit driver (1.08) on my iMac 2019, running macOS Monterey 12.6.6. The CPU usage was much higher than the kernel driver and I got a ton of pops and glitches, both in Logic Pro X and also in Safari playing YouTube videos e t c.

The kernel driver is rock solid for me and I've never had any glitches of any kind. Maybe this was specific to my system but the driver kit was completely unusable for me.

I'm running my HDSP RayDat inside a Akitio Node duo thunderbolt enclosure. Possibly that has an affect on the stability of the driver.

134 (edited by Jperkins 2023-06-04 17:30:01)

a-stream wrote:

I just tried the DriverKit driver (1.08) on my iMac 2019, running macOS Monterey 12.6.6. The CPU usage was much higher than the kernel driver and I got a ton of pops and glitches, both in Logic Pro X and also in Safari playing YouTube videos e t c.

The kernel driver is rock solid for me and I've never had any glitches of any kind. Maybe this was specific to my system but the driver kit was completely unusable for me.

This seems to be the general theme. I wish RME would make an official statement about what's gong on with this and if these are still considered pubic beta or an officially stable release.

I think I will be ordering a refreshed Mac Studio or ideally but not likely Mac Pro Apple Silicon this week after tomorrow's announcements.

I was hoping I could just install the more modern DriverKit driver but it seems like it might not be ready for professional use yet.

Normally RME drivers are incredibly stable but I don't get a good feeling about what's going on with this one in particular.

135 (edited by Jperkins 2023-06-06 01:49:01)

Well, the day is here. I just ordered a new M2 Mac Pro so I can put both of my HDSPe AES cards in it, and my AIO Pro along with a few other things.

I'd love to see or hear an official update from RME on what's going on with the DriverKit driver as we are at a point where the older driver may stop working in MacOS.

I'm happy to report that I did a full album mastering session on the new M2 Mac Pro with the 1.08 Drive Kit drivers and everything seemed OK. No dropouts.

The new HDSPe Settings app icon looks MUCH better too. Sometimes it's the little things smile

I also did a few mastering sessions with the updated care firmware and using the older kernel drivers on my older Mac Pro before moving to the new computer so for anybody reading this, that seems stable too.

We'll see what next week brings but so far, I'm happy with it.

137 (edited by mlprod 2023-06-17 23:06:08)

Jperkins wrote:

I'm happy to report that I did a full album mastering session on the new M2 Mac Pro with the 1.08 Drive Kit drivers and everything seemed OK. No dropouts.

The new HDSPe Settings app icon looks MUCH better too. Sometimes it's the little things smile

I also did a few mastering sessions with the updated care firmware and using the older kernel drivers on my older Mac Pro before moving to the new computer so for anybody reading this, that seems stable too.

Good stuff, maybe you can try one of those tests I did before also?

mlprod wrote:

Can you remind me which tests specifically?

I have two of the HDSPe AES cards (not used together at the same time) and an HDSPe AIO Pro card.

Jperkins wrote:

Thanks for the report. Next week brings an update for the HDSPe DK driver and firmware which solves a potential cause of clicks while TM FX is open.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Jperkins wrote:
mlprod wrote:

Can you remind me which tests specifically?

I have two of the HDSPe AES cards (not used together at the same time) and an HDSPe AIO Pro card.

Like printing an analog loop while doing "stuff" at the same time to stress the system. This can be playing music from spotify and youtube, shuffling lots of data to/from the internet and even running things like geekbench and cinebench.

MC wrote:
Jperkins wrote:

Thanks for the report. Next week brings an update for the HDSPe DK driver and firmware which solves a potential cause of clicks while TM FX is open.

Great!

142 (edited by Jperkins 2023-06-18 14:32:22)

mlprod wrote:

Like printing an analog loop while doing "stuff" at the same time to stress the system. This can be playing music from spotify and youtube, shuffling lots of data to/from the internet and even running things like geekbench and cinebench.

Yes, starting today I will do a bit more stress testing. I was just happy to have a working Mac again because after spending about 8 hours installing all the software (I don't do migration assistant) and other stuff, the new Mac Pro was crippled by having a SSD in the PCIe slot which was NOT expected.

More here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254929908

In other words, I haven't had time to stress test yet but that will be next. I did print a 40 minute album in one long pass without a single issue but when I am printing, I am never doing anything else on the computer. I usually use this time to do something else (outside of the room) and then come back to go through it with RX and finalize.

Looks like Apple has more issues than the one already acknowledged:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213778

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Looks like Apple has more issues than the one already acknowledged:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213778

Yes. I have been in close contact with a few senior level Apple engineers but due to the double holiday weekend (Father's Day & Juneteenth) I don't plan to hear anything until at least Tuesday.

My issue isn't the same as the SATA issue but it could be related.

145 (edited by Jperkins 2023-06-18 17:54:24)

mlprod wrote:

Great!

So far, I can trigger an audio disruption if I am playing audio and then I open another DAW that uses the same audio device.

For example, I'm playing audio in REAPER via my first AES card, but I open iZotope RX which is set to use the same AES card and main output channels, I hear a slight disruption in audio.

My other AES card is exclusively for WaveLab use and if I open WaveLab while audio is playing in REAPER (using the other AES card), there is no disruption to what I'm listening to in REAPER on the main AES card.

My AIO Pro card is mainly used of Qobuz playback and same deal, if I am playing audio in REAPER and open Qobuz, there is no disruption in REAPER.

I also do a lot of multitasking while dialing things in (before I actually record back in to REAPER) and none of those actions such as checking email. surfing the web, navigating the Finder, etc. appear to be triggering a dropout is far.

It seems that maybe only actions in apps that share the same AES card could cause a little disruption.

I've been noticing this on my mobile setup a bit when using Sonnox ListenHub so at this time, it feels like more of an Apple thing than RME. My mobile setup involves no PCIe cards, just an RME ADI-2 Pro FS but the issue also happens if I'm my super mobile Grace m900.

When I can trigger the disruption, it's not a big clicky dropout, it's more like subtle skipping sound.

What about starting and quitting streaming apps?

mlprod wrote:

What about starting and quitting streaming apps?

I just tried quickly opening a ton of apps while REAPER was in input monitoring of my mastering chain, as if I were dialing in a song or recording back to a new track.

I opened Apple Music and Spotify which are set to play to may Mac output (currently set to Grace m908 via USB), Qobuz (set to my AIO Pro Card), as well as WaveLab which is set to my other AES card.

I didn't hear any dropouts. I even looped a 1k test tone so it would be more obvious to hear something.

The only thing I can reliably reproduce right now is that if REAPER is playing/recording audio, and I open iZotope RX which is set to use the same AES card/outputs, then I get a fairly subtle skip/disruption but nothing crazy.

Not ideal but so far that's the only thing I can trigger.

@MC:

On the website it mentions that DK 1.08 brings the AES cards to version 11, but I'm seeing version 12 here. Is that a website error?

Do I have the current versions of things?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndx58ukxcikj7 … M.png?dl=0

Hi
I use the HDSPe raydat rev 1.0 in a mac early 2008 with a montery os. Stil no luck in getting Logic connect in the recording modus. I can select the raydat in logic. Sometimes there is this high pitch tone, it seems to be connected, then I quite logic and the sound is gone... Is this a sign that the card is broken? It's connected in a proper way. I have the same screens as shown below....I'm running-out of options :-)
Anyone recognize this problem? Or is it the midi audio set up in the mac?
Kind regards Mireille

I've used the HDSPe series DK driver 1.07
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … dk_107.zip

Jperkins wrote:

@MC:

On the website it mentions that DK 1.08 brings the AES cards to version 11, but I'm seeing version 12 here. Is that a website error?

Do I have the current versions of things?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndx58ukxcikj7 … M.png?dl=0

DK 1.08 is a driver download and does not have info on firmware versions. The Mac FUT download lists the Legacy version of all cards (here 11), not the DK versions, so it is correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME