Topic: So Confused. I want to set up inserts in Cubase 12 pro with TotalMix

I want to apologize up front. I just bought the RME UFX III a few weeks ago and have been going crazy to figure out how to setup inserts for my hardware compressors using TotalMix into my DAW Cubase 12 pro. I have spent many hours watching RME videos that do not fully complete the big picture on how it all works. Perhaps I am the only one that cannot figure it out correctly. I am hoping perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. I have been seriously considering taking the unit back to Sweetwater due to the lack of support I can find for my questions. Please advise. Your help means a lot to me.

Thank you

Braxal

2 (edited by ramses 2023-04-11 18:54:53)

Re: So Confused. I want to set up inserts in Cubase 12 pro with TotalMix

Hi Braxal, welcome to the RME user forum.

Do you mean such a setup? With e.g. two external Lexicon Effect units?

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2955-current-setup-2022-jpg/

I can use the two Lexicons now for 3 main use cases, easily selectable by different TM FX snapshots:
- PCM81 for AMP, PCM91 for Cubase
- PCM81 + PCM91 for AMP
- PCM81 + PCM91 for Cubase

This is the setup for the FX in Cubase and TM FX, below in the next posting I summarized for you the (few) steps to implement: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36072

Maybe helpful for the future, but not mandatory for this to implement. Basically, routing config "from ground up" with the goal to only implement the needed routing to have a better overview in matrix view: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36025

Side note: with other vendors, you will only have it worse, as they do not offer the flexibility and features of TM FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2023-04-11 18:52:08)

Re: So Confused. I want to set up inserts in Cubase 12 pro with TotalMix

Easy to implement in the following steps:

1. in Cubase, you enter an external FX. Which analog inputs and outputs are to be entered, should not be a problem, e.g., Analog 5+6 IN or OUT.

2. the measurement of the latency may not work at first, if you have not yet routed SW Playback 5+6 to the hardware outputs. But this is not a problem.
TM FX: submix mode, click on HW Output AN 5+6 and pull up the faders of SW Playback AN 5+6. This way the signal will arrive at the correct HW output AN 5+6 OUT which is connected to the input of your external device. If there is a metering you will notice it there.

3. HINT: when measuring the latency automatically, please set the external FX (especially if it is a reverb or delay unit) to bypass; otherwise you will get an unwanted delay during the measurement.

4. the HW output AN5+6 sends the audio signal to your external FX and its outputs are connected to the inputs of the UFX+. Everything that arrives at the inputs is passed unmodified to the DAW / application.

And there you go, the external device can be used in Cubase either as an insert or as a send.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13