Topic: How to Mute Instrument Input Volume on TotalMix?

Hello. I am using an app.(Yousician) that needs my guitar input level to give a immidiate feedback whether I hit the right note, but I don't want to hear that signal on my headphones.

Is it possible to keep using Instrument input level as it is, but just mute that clean signal, just on my headphone/speakers?

Because I use a distortion VST on Reaper, and it overlaps with that input sound, just not sounding pleasant through headphones.

However, I don't hear the input sound when I record it to OBS, or Reaper.

Thanks...

Re: How to Mute Instrument Input Volume on TotalMix?

This is an easy routing task in submix mode, see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394 for more info.

To change the submix of your phone output:
1. Ensure you are in submix mode (routing mode submix, top right light blue area).
2. Click to the headphone output, now you see the submix for this particular output.
3. Now turn up or down the fader of HW inputs and SW playbacks (audio from PC) as needed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Observer200 2023-04-10 19:10:51)

Hello Thank you for your reply.

I think the headphone Output is AN1/2, if I am correct. I can set the input gain there, but I hear it myself, which is not what I want, I only want the application to hear the input, but mute it on my Headphone output. I don't think it's possible.

When I use D.A.W. It gets the audio signal from the guitar, it doesn't need the input to be loud or anything, Reaper gets a signal even though when I mute the guitar input.

My Screenshot: https://we.tl/t-tnsvE8qgEn

https://we.tl/t-tnsvE8qgEn

ramses wrote:

This is an easy routing task in submix mode, see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394 for more info.

To change the submix of your phone output:
1. Ensure you are in submix mode (routing mode submix, top right light blue area).
2. Click to the headphone output, now you see the submix for this particular output.
3. Now turn up or down the fader of HW inputs and SW playbacks (audio from PC) as needed.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-04-10 20:20:49)

What guitar creates that loud signal ?
is a Multi-Effect pedal board connected to the input of the interface ?
Better switch off the instrument button in Totalmix, if this is the case.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by Observer200 2023-04-10 21:40:58)

The level is very high, because I set the input Gain ''Highest''. I want the application to get that signal, low-or very high gain input, but at the same time, I don't want to hear that clean guitar sound(signal) on my headphones.

So that application can benefit from that input signal from instrument, and I can only hear the amp sound in plugin on my DAW, while playing on the application. But I can't find a way to do it.

*No effect pedals

waedi wrote:

What guitar creates that loud signal ?
is a Multi-Effect pedal board connected to the input of the interface ?
Better switch off the instrument button in Totalmix, if this is the case.

6 (edited by waedi 2023-04-10 23:11:01)

Let's find out if your dry guitar signal comes from the DAW or from Totalmix.
For a test please pull down the master fader in the DAW to make it silent or just mute it.
Is the dry guitar signal still present or is it gone ?
If you still hear the dry guitar then it is inside Totalmix. Click onto the output channel where you listen and pull down the fader from the guitar input channel.
If the problem comes from the DAW have a look into the plugin check the wet /dry setting, make it 100% wet.

You wrote you listen thru headphone but in your Totalmix screenshot the Phones output is not there.
May you use the ASSIGN button and assign Phones 1 to PH3/4 ? Then you can see the routing of your guitar to the headphone.

And also there is two mute buttons in Totalmix for your question :
One on the right top side in the control room under the big FX.
And another one in the input channel.
Press both.

Hello dear waedi and ramses. Thank you for your help, I could achieve my goal, and could mute the AN1/2 Hardware Input on my headphones. And I let the Software Playback as it is, so I can hear my Daw, and My application(Yousician) gets the Hardware Input very well, it's good about 33.0 Gain, tappings on the fretboard can be picked up by the app. easily.

So I could do what I wanted after your helps. I created Phones 1. As you can see on the picture; Please check my new photo link. below. Thanks.

https://we.tl/t-qw0DD82J3d

waedi wrote:

Let's find out if your dry guitar signal comes from the DAW or from Totalmix.
For a test please pull down the master fader in the DAW to make it silent or just mute it.
Is the dry guitar signal still present or is it gone ?
If you still hear the dry guitar then it is inside Totalmix. Click onto the output channel where you listen and pull down the fader from the guitar input channel.
If the problem comes from the DAW have a look into the plugin check the wet /dry setting, make it 100% wet.

You wrote you listen thru headphone but in your Totalmix screenshot the Phones output is not there.
May you use the ASSIGN button and assign Phones 1 to PH3/4 ? Then you can see the routing of your guitar to the headphone.

And also there is two mute buttons in Totalmix for your question :
One on the right top side in the control room under the big FX.
And another one in the input channel.
Press both.

Wonderful ! Glad you can make music.