1 (edited by ben ifin 2023-04-15 13:23:29)

Topic: Fireface UCX Input 3 Instrument Level for Elec Guitar - which level ?

Hi all !

=> I've plugged my Stratocaster directly into Input 3 on the Front

=> I've gone to Total-Mix Input 3 and Turned-On the  " Instrument " Tab so it is Orange

=> I want to record some bone-dry Electric Guitar tracks for later use

But ..... I don't know whether to choose  -10 dBV  -or-  +4dBu  -or-  Lo Gain  (?)

So with my Electric Guitar plugged directly into Input 3 and with the Instrument Tab Turned On in Input 3- which of the above 3 values will give me the most accurate gain match between the guitars natural output level and what is recorded ?

Thanks,
Ben

Re: Fireface UCX Input 3 Instrument Level for Elec Guitar - which level ?

The reference levels on analog inputs adjust the sensitivity of the input.
You best start with the lowest sensitivity and highest headroom, strum into the guitar and watch whether levels are ok to much too low. If the latter you choose the next higher sensitivity and so on.
If the most sensitive level still should not be sufficient you can additionally use the digital trim gain and add some gain.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2023-04-15 13:31:32)

Other threads in this forum with related topic:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 04#p200704
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 37#p190537
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 56#p189356
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 95#p182995

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

You best start with the lowest sensitivity and highest headroom, strum into the guitar and watch whether levels are ok to much too low. If the latter you choose the next higher sensitivity and so on.
If the most sensitive level still should not be sufficient you can additionally use the digital trim gain and add some gain.

Many thanks for responding.

I do understand what you are saying - thank you smile

As there is no 0.0db  " Instrument " setting I can choose to make my recorded level match as closely as possible to the natural guitar output signal ... I don't know what the  "recording standard" setting choice would be to best to achieve this ?

Many thanks again,
Ben

5 (edited by ramses 2023-04-15 13:39:48)

ben ifin wrote:
ramses wrote:

Many thanks for responding.

I do understand what you are saying - thank you smile

As there is no 0.0db  " Instrument " setting I can choose to make my recorded level match as closely as possible to the natural guitar output signal ... I don't know what the  "recording standard" setting choice would be to best to achieve this ?

Many thanks again,
Ben

What standard? All that you want / need is, that when you connect your guitar, that you get a satisfacory signal level that doesn't overload the inputs and leaves enough headroom around -10.

Oh ... ok .... I re-read what you wrote and posted .... got it ! smile

Many thanks,
Ben

How high the level needs to be depends always a little on the circumstances.
If you have a live recording situation for a mic and can not finally determine the highest peak you need to reserve more headroom for safety.
If you use a VSTi it also depends a little on what works best with the presets .. something between -15 - -5.

If you have several tracks the output volume will add up anyway.
Bad is usually only too high (to close to or over 0dBFS) and (much) too low signal level.

ramses wrote:

How high the level needs to be depends always a little on the circumstances.
If you have a live recording situation for a mic and can not finally determine the highest peak you need to reserve more headroom for safety.
If you use a VSTi it also depends a little on what works best with the presets .. something between -15 - -5.

If you have several tracks the output volume will add up anyway.
Bad is usually only too high (to close to or over 0dBFS) and (much) too low signal level.

Really appreciated !

All the best and many thanks,
Ben