Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:

I've been struggling with clicks/drop-outs on v3.27a with the MADIface Pro and XT and am a little nervous about a live recording tomorrow…

Are you saying you've had "clicks/drop-outs" in recordings?

Yes, into Reaper - 8 channels at 96k, buffer size >1024mb. I've run substantially bigger projects with no problems for years so not sure what's changed.

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

252 (edited by stromkraft 2023-04-13 12:11:57)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

mjfe87 wrote:
stromkraft wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:

I've been struggling with clicks/drop-outs on v3.27a with the MADIface Pro and XT and am a little nervous about a live recording tomorrow…

Are you saying you've had "clicks/drop-outs" in recordings?

Yes, into Reaper - 8 channels at 96k, buffer size >1024mb. I've run substantially bigger projects with no problems for years so not sure what's changed.

I'm baffled, this has never occurred for me. Or I think it hasn't. I've recorded dropouts for material playing back, but it never occurred to me the dropouts could be in the incoming data stream. Incoming is much more serious as it's permanent.

Whether we be recording, or playing back, it must be of vital importance we learn exactly where dropouts or glitches do happen. Coming in, that's likely the external audio path, the ADC of the audio interface, the processing in the same and each subsequent software step until the data is stored in an audio file. In reverse, something similar for audio going out. Any step after where dropouts happen, will have the problem.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

253 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-13 17:35:07)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

MC wrote:
soundpotion wrote:
MC wrote:

When did you start to use Sound ID?

I used it briefly since I purchased it last year

I expect Sound ID to work in a way that it can't be removed from CoreAudio completely without de-installation. You might want to do exactly that to verify that Sound ID has nothing to do with your unusually prominent issues.


I have tried removing Sound ID and have also reinstalled my OS so its definitely not Sound ID.

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

254 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-13 17:34:45)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

I kept activity monitor open to see what's going on there and was surprised to see that even as I hit play in a moderately heavy session in Logic Pro X, I have close to 70% of CPU still idle!

When it comes to audio dropouts and similar, what matters is any single core getting overloads, not overall CPU load.

soundpotion wrote:

Also, if a there is a system overload in any DAW, U will get a system overload warning and the session will stop playing.

We're not talking about system overload. What led you to believe we were? Core overload is what we're talking about, especially in the form of CPU spikes. For this kind of problem, it's useful to remove the situations from where this occurs from the ones where they don't, so it's a natural first check.

When we have done that to some satisfaction, we can refocus how using a specific audio interface or a specific driver might influence the problems we experience in the situations where Core overloads aren't happening. For this non-overload problem category I think it's vital to understand from where dropouts stem.

I'm looking at some approaches to try on my intel, where I might be able to get this problem going, but beside trying another interface I think it would be interesting if any of you getting dropouts get these when your device run in class compliant mode. Because then, no RME driver nor Totalmix is involved. The main problem is being able to the recreate issue state. When I had these problems before that was pretty hard to do as I remember it.

Can you please try class compliant mode and see if it makes a difference?


In Logic Pro X at least a core overload will lead to s system overload warning and playback will stop. The uneven core usage is very prominent inside Logic Pro x when using the RME as output device. I tried CC mode and the same problem repeats.

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

255 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-13 21:29:43)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Here is a video from another post from the RME forum that someone had posted a while ago. Notice the playhead. This is what happens when you hit play in Logic Pro X with the RME interface set as output device. The playhead jumps a few times before playing on. If he hadn't muted the audio you would hear the audio stuttering before playing. This does not happen when you switch the output device to the internal interface of the Mac or my fireface 800 like mentioned by the person who uploaded the video! (see video description)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWENdifIjY4

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

256 (edited by stromkraft 2023-04-14 09:06:36)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:

I tried CC mode and the same problem repeats.

What conclusion would you draw from this? Could the RME driver be involved in Class Compliant mode? AFAIK it can't.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

257 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-14 09:15:04)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

I tried CC mode and the same problem repeats.

What conclusion would you draw from this? Could the RME driver be involved in CC mode? AFAIK it can't.

Then what is the reason for all these problem that so many of us are having? In CC mode I still have to choose the babyface pro as output device so I'm not sure what conclusions you are drawing. I understand that in CC mode the driver gets bypassed but why does it still stutter? It goes away when I use Sound ID and it also goes away when I change the output device to internal. If this is a mystery, then isn't RME more equipped to solve it? They made the interface and the driver! Check out the video link I posted above. It shows the problem I'm facing. If there is a way to diagnose and solve it, then I am all ears! I'm not here to challenge anyone. I am here to figure out how to solve my problem. I tried contacting support, but they couldn't help me out!

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

258 (edited by stromkraft 2023-04-14 09:14:34)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:
stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

I tried CC mode and the same problem repeats.

What conclusion would you draw from this? Could the RME driver be involved in CC mode? AFAIK it can't.

Then what is the reason for all these problem that so many of us are having? In CC mode I still have to choose the babyface pro as output device so I'm not sure what conclusions you are drawing. Check out the video link I posted above. It shows the problem I'm facing.

That's for us, and one would hope with some RME input*, to find out. If the problem you've described happens without the driver being active, it cannot be the driver alone, can it?

A more telling test would involve uninstalling the driver, then try CC mode again. Just to make sure. If I had more time I'd install LogicX and try on my Intel. Any pointers how to reproduce this issue with another DAW, like Reaper or Live would be welcome.

**Please!!

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:
stromkraft wrote:

What conclusion would you draw from this? Could the RME driver be involved in CC mode? AFAIK it can't.

Then what is the reason for all these problem that so many of us are having? In CC mode I still have to choose the babyface pro as output device so I'm not sure what conclusions you are drawing. Check out the video link I posted above. It shows the problem I'm facing.

That's for us, and one would hope with some RME input*, to find out. If the problem you've described happens without the driver being active, it cannot be the driver alone, can it?

A more telling test would involve uninstalling the driver, then try CC mode again. Just to make sure. If I had more time I'd install LogicX and try on my Intel. Any pointers how to reproduce this issue with another DAW, like Reaper or Live would be welcome.

**Please!!

I can try uninstalling the driver and then put it in CC mode. I will get back once I try it out. I had a friend who had brought his M1 mac and the same problem happened with ableton on his machine!

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

260 (edited by stromkraft 2023-04-14 09:19:11)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:

This does not happen when you switch the output device to the internal interface of the Mac or my fireface 800

Isn't the FireFace 800 an RME product?

Note I had this type of problem in 4.0.4 beta.

See this post and the following 4 from me:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 75#p190975

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

This does not happen when you switch the output device to the internal interface of the Mac or my fireface 800

Isn't the FireFace 800 an RME product?


See this post and the following 4 from me:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 75#p190975

The fireface 800 is a firewire device i've connected with a string of converters to use with thunderbolt. That runs fine so the problem is with USB devices.

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:

The fireface 800 is a firewire device i've connected with a string of converters to use with thunderbolt. That runs fine so the problem is with USB devices.

Ah, OK.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

This does not happen when you switch the output device to the internal interface of the Mac or my fireface 800



Note I had this type of problem in 4.0.4 beta.

See this post and the following 4 from me:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 75#p190975


I completely removed the RME driver including system files from all locations mentioned by RME on the subject. Now in CC mode the interface runs perfectly fine. Also, I saw the post you sent. The problems mentioned there are similar to what I have. What did u do to solve those issues?

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

264 (edited by stromkraft 2023-04-14 10:10:56)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:

I completely removed the RME driver including system files from all locations mentioned by RME on the subject. Now in CC mode the interface runs perfectly fine.

OK, so now it would seem both the hardware and the function of the driver have been ruled out. My feeling at the moment is this is something related to CoreAudio and/or its relation to user space drivers.

I wonder what else is changed in CoreAudio when you have an installation of a driver that isn't used. Here we need RME to chime in. @ME?


soundpotion wrote:

Also, I saw the post you sent. The problems mentioned there are similar to what I have. What did u do to solve those issues?

Well, first I updated to macOS 12 that lessened the impact considerably at that time. Also I believe there were less issues in user space driver 4.06. I did have some issues with macOS 13.2.1 using 4.06, but since 13.3 I've had no or only expected issues. The same with 4.07.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

265 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-14 10:24:33)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

I completely removed the RME driver including system files from all locations mentioned by RME on the subject. Now in CC mode the interface runs perfectly fine.

OK, so now it would seem both the hardware and the function of the driver have been ruled out. My feeling at the moment is this is something related to CoreAudio and/or its relation to user space drivers.

I wonder what else is changed in CoreAudio when you have an installation of a driver that isn't used. Here we need RME to chime in. @ME?


soundpotion wrote:

Also, I saw the post you sent. The problems mentioned there are similar to what I have. What did u do to solve those issues?

Well, first I updated to macOS 12 that lessened the impact considerably at that time. Also I believe there were less issues in user space driver 4.06. I did have some issues with macOS 13.2.1 using 4.06, but since 13.3 I've had no or only expected issues. The same with 4.07.


I really cannot update to Ventura as I can't risk plugins not working as I'm in the middle of a few projects! For some reason, after a restart, the stuttering has started to happen in CC mode as well... It was fine all this while so its a problem that comes and goes. Something has got messed up and I really can't figure out what... something to do with a cache or some kind of problem that appears after a bit of usage from the point of a fresh system restart... it was all fine until my upgrade to M1... it was all good on intel!

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

266 (edited by stromkraft 2023-04-14 11:26:12)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Look also at the bus power thing @JL brought back into light and my possible lead on some type of solution with aggregated devices in the 4.07 discussion.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Noticed another thing that on the 4.07 readme file, it says that BabyfacePro FS needs a flash update to V226. The Flash update tool Readme says it has to be ver.318, but the flash tool updates the firmware only to V 203. What's going on here?

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:

Look also at the bus power thing @JL brought back into light and my possible lead on some type of solution with aggregated devices in the 4.07 discussion.

I tried to create an aggregate device but still no luck...

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

269 (edited by stromkraft 2023-04-14 15:22:55)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:

Noticed another thing that on the 4.07 readme file, it says that BabyfacePro FS needs a flash update to V226. The Flash update tool Readme says it has to be ver.318, but the flash tool updates the firmware only to V 203. What's going on here?

Babyface Pro & FS: 203/318.

v226 is for the original Babyface, so forget that. Are you using the proper flash tool? Sure it's an FS? Doesn't the flash tool say what it think the device is?

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

Noticed another thing that on the 4.07 readme file, it says that BabyfacePro FS needs a flash update to V226. The Flash update tool Readme says it has to be ver.318, but the flash tool updates the firmware only to V 203. What's going on here?

Babyface Pro & FS: 203/318.

v226 is for the original Babyface, so forget that.

That means that for the Pro its 203 and for the Pro FS its 318 if I understand right. The firmware upgrade tool doesn't go beyond 203 for my Pro FS

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:
stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

Noticed another thing that on the 4.07 readme file, it says that BabyfacePro FS needs a flash update to V226. The Flash update tool Readme says it has to be ver.318, but the flash tool updates the firmware only to V 203. What's going on here?

Babyface Pro & FS: 203/318.

v226 is for the original Babyface, so forget that.

That means that for the Pro its 203 and for the Pro FS its 318 if I understand right. The firmware upgrade tool doesn't go beyond 203 for my Pro FS

Sounds like a support question then.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:
stromkraft wrote:


v226 is for the original Babyface, so forget that.

That means that for the Pro its 203 and for the Pro FS its 318 if I understand right. The firmware upgrade tool doesn't go beyond 203 for my Pro FS

Sounds like a support question then.

For sure. Hopefully they see it. Now I wonder if all this is firmware related. It leads me to believe that the driver and the interface unit have some communication glitches which somehow workout when you put something like SoundID in between!

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Is there a way to completely reset core audio? (Tried the killall core audio terminal command) like cache files related to audio drivers?

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:

Is there a way to completely reset core audio? (Tried the killall core audio terminal command) like cache files related to audio drivers?

Well, a full OS reinstall will do that, but I'm not sure if that would change anything. I find it more likely setup is to avoid this, rather than stale data. But as you don't know anything it might be worth trying what isn't causing further issues.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

275 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-14 16:40:18)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

Is there a way to completely reset core audio? (Tried the killall core audio terminal command) like cache files related to audio drivers?

Well, a full OS reinstall will do that, but I'm not sure if that would change anything. I find it more likely setup is to avoid this, rather than stale data. But as you don't know anything it might be worth trying what isn't causing further issues.

For now I guess I will just use my trusty old FF800 and connect the babyface pro fs via adat. With this setup I get no cpu spikes or stutters in Logic and I can work peacefully. I have done everything possible and there is hardly any response from RME to help solve this. Maybe in the coming RME updates and Mac OS updates there will be a solution. I am positive now that its a usb driver issue as everything works fine until you select that driver. I am not qualified enough to understand the coding side of things so maybe its a compatibility issue with Mac OS or a driver issue only, I can't tell. I will see how long this goes on or will have to move on to an interface from another company that works. Thank you for your help. sad

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

276 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-14 16:43:25)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Another observation. Just like Sound ID, when I use the Dolby Atmos renderer (Dolby Atmos Bridge) as output device in Logic Pro X and put the babyface pro fs as output device in the Dolby Atmos renderer using it as a pass thru device, the problem goes away. Another reason to believe that there is something going on when putting the RME interface as output device directly.

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

277

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:

Is there a way to completely reset core audio? (Tried the killall core audio terminal command) like cache files related to audio drivers?

Yes there is.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253772489

"I removed the files com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist (Go > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > Audio) and restarted."

Obviously have backups and be comfortable with the approach and consequences.

By deleting these two files the Mac will rebuild your audio devices configuration like a new Mac. I'd make sure drivers are uninstalled prior, especially for interfaces you no longer use.

Apple Mac Studio Max 64gb RAM, Ventura, RME UFX III, 12Mic, Pulse 16 MX, Studio One 6

278

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:
stromkraft wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

Noticed another thing that on the 4.07 readme file, it says that BabyfacePro FS needs a flash update to V226. The Flash update tool Readme says it has to be ver.318, but the flash tool updates the firmware only to V 203. What's going on here?

Babyface Pro & FS: 203/318.

v226 is for the original Babyface, so forget that.

That means that for the Pro its 203 and for the Pro FS its 318 if I understand right.

Nope, 203 is correct for BF Pro FS as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

MC wrote:
soundpotion wrote:
stromkraft wrote:


v226 is for the original Babyface, so forget that.

That means that for the Pro its 203 and for the Pro FS its 318 if I understand right.

Nope, 203 is correct for BF Pro FS as well.


Then what is 318? Also, any idea why putting like Sound ID in between the DAW and the interface is getting rid of all the stuttering? I completely uninstalled the RME drivers and also reset core audio. Its still problematic. Anything more I can try to help solve the problem other than updating to Ventura?

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

280 (edited by fa151515 2023-04-18 07:37:10)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

any update ? fix ? feedback ?

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

fa151515 wrote:

any update ? fix ? feedback ?

Have to ask the same. What is going on? Why does so many people have these problems? It's embarrasing sitting in a Teams meating having people repeat themselves or miss stuff because of the horrible stuttering.

Cheers
Terje


Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM
Ventura 13.3.1
RME UCX II + Behringer ADA8200
Firmware 42, Driver 4.07

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Eithunsen wrote:
fa151515 wrote:

any update ? fix ? feedback ?

Have to ask the same. What is going on? Why does so many people have these problems? It's embarrasing sitting in a Teams meating having people repeat themselves or miss stuff because of the horrible stuttering.

Cheers
Terje


Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM
Ventura 13.3.1
RME UCX II + Behringer ADA8200
Firmware 42, Driver 4.07

It's a lost cause for now. I have been asking the same question for a while now! RME has no answers or solutions except that this is totally Apple's fault and there is nothing that can be done.

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

it's the same issue with others audio interface (universal audio, motu, apogee....). using Ventura/M1 ?

284

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Yes, even simple USB DACs that work 'class compliant' (no driver) are affected.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … pro.42001/

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Even Apple own speakers are affected. (M series Apple silicon)
This is most definitely an Apple Core Audio issue.

Yes, it's frustrating. Really frustrating.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

It's a shame.

Write Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html (if you're not a logic user)

Write the Logic Team: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Will anything come of this? Maybe if enough folks speak up. Who knows.

287 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-19 18:20:50)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

fa151515 wrote:

it's the same issue with others audio interface (universal audio, motu, apogee....). using Ventura/M1 ?


No Problems with UA or Apogee interfaces or even my old RME Fireface 800. I can say for these I have tried them. I own the Fireface 800 and there are no issues. The Fireface 800 users use KEXT based drivers and the Babyface Pro FS with driver ver 3.28A also uses non Driverkit drivers. So if there was only an Apple issue the problem would be consistent over all these interfaces and its not.

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

288 (edited by soundpotion 2023-04-19 18:37:33)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

mattrixx wrote:

Even Apple own speakers are affected. (M series Apple silicon)
This is most definitely an Apple Core Audio issue.

Yes, it's frustrating. Really frustrating.


I disagree as I did some edit work for a whole day on my M1pro MBP as I was outside my studio and had forgotten my interface and I used the internal headphone out as I was just editing and it ran flawlessly. This doesn't seem at all a core audio only issue as then the problem would be there with any interface including my own old RME FF800 which is not the case. It is consistently throwing glitches and stutters only with an RME USB interface. My friend uses a UFX and also has the same issues. I Tried UA and Apogee interfaces and there is no problem at all. Even the FF800 works perfectly! So we could maybe draw a conclusion that there is something up with the RME USB driver. If you see all through this thread the answer from RME is always the same. IT IS NOT OUR PROBLEM. IT IS APPLE'S PROBLEM. I'm afraid that may not be the case. There should be at least a tested work around suggested from RME that helps with the problem until something permanent is figured out!

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

289

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

I used the internal headphone out as I was just editing and it ran flawlessly.

Set sample rate to 96k or 192k in Audio/MIDI Setup and you will probably see the same issue described.

This doesn't seem at all a core audio only issue as then the problem would be there with any interface including my own old RME FF800 which is not the case.

FireWire via Thunderbolt is not affected, this is only a problem with USB interfaces from RME.

So we could maybe draw a conclusion that there is something up with the RME USB driver.

The ADI-2 DAC is working with no driver, UAC2 class compliant, and this is also affected. It's not the RME driver at fault.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Jeff wrote:

I used the internal headphone out as I was just editing and it ran flawlessly.

Set sample rate to 96k or 192k in Audio/MIDI Setup and you will probably see the same issue described.

This doesn't seem at all a core audio only issue as then the problem would be there with any interface including my own old RME FF800 which is not the case.

FireWire via Thunderbolt is not affected, this is only a problem with USB interfaces from RME.

So we could maybe draw a conclusion that there is something up with the RME USB driver.

The ADI-2 DAC is working with no driver, UAC2 class compliant, and this is also affected. It's not the RME driver at fault.

There has to be something from RME that could be done as other USB interfaces are not affected. How is that possible if there is a problem with USB interfaces in general in mac os like you have mentioned. There should be a way for RME to work around it if other companies have figured it out. Also, how is this a core audio issue like you have mentioned as well previously if FW via TB works flawlessly?

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

291 (edited by stromkraft 2023-04-27 09:10:16)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

soundpotion wrote:

There has to be something from RME that could be done as other USB interfaces are not affected. How is that possible if there is a problem with USB interfaces in general in mac os like you have mentioned. There should be a way for RME to work around it if other companies have figured it out. Also, how is this a core audio issue like you have mentioned as well previously if FW via TB works flawlessly?

It's simply so we currently don't know exactly what happens within this range of problems. What your conclusion, however true it might be, cannot explain is why I don't have this issue. If it was the fault of the driver why don't everyone have such issues? I did have that before. Now I don't. What's actually different?

The likely driver process RMEUsbAsp is used by the CoreAudio daemon, coreaudiod" which illustrates the driver depends on CA. While this could all be the RME stuff creating problems, we cannot say we know that's what's going on.

Unfortunately I don't currently know exactly how CA is involved in this as I don't develop drivers, but I would like to find a way to determine where exactly any glitches happen and if possible why. This is hard for me to investigate as I don't have this particular problem now.

However, it's perfectly possible any problems happen upstream so to speak, i e before the driver. These might seem to happen only when a driver is present, but that doesn't mean the driver is causing it as something else might be done in the OS when removing it.

As a step one, I would like to know if glitches, dropouts and other audio distortions happen at the point where the audio stream is handled by the driver and not before. Any ideas on how to get this info would be very welcome.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

292 (edited by The Beatsmith 2023-05-01 22:25:03)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

I have to logic stutter issue highlighted earlier in this thread. This is the first time I’ve seen it mentioned anywhere on the web. Please see two videos below.

Does the V4 driver solve this issue?

Setting process buffer range to medium or small helps - setting it to large makes it happen a lot.

Reported to RME Support in the UK and got nowhere.

https://youtu.be/7Autw6vs4Rc
https://youtu.be/ZDUdOP275Fs

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 12.6.3, Logic 10.7.7

293 (edited by stromkraft 2023-05-01 23:21:39)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

The Beatsmith wrote:

I have to logic stutter issue highlighted earlier in this thread. This is the first time I’ve seen it mentioned anywhere on the web. Please see two videos below.

Does the V4 driver solve this issue?

Setting process buffer range to medium or small helps - setting it to large makes it happen a lot.

Reported to RME Support in the UK and got nowhere.

I'm assuming this not a case of CPU core overload. If the rocky playhead in Logic is in an indication I'm not sure how you lay this on your RME audio interface? This does not happen without it?

I'm currently trying to investigate this area of problems, but I need data from people having these types of issues as I don't have it in macOS 13.3.x. Like:

Which macOS version?
Amount of RAM?
How much space on SSD?
What apps or services do you use that interfaces with CoreAudio?
As this is in Logic did you talk to Apple support? What do they say?

We have some little data and advice in the 4.07 thread, but so far few have reported any of it working for them. Updating to 13.3 worked for me.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

294 (edited by mattrixx 2023-05-01 23:55:33)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
The Beatsmith wrote:

I have to logic stutter issue highlighted earlier in this thread. This is the first time I’ve seen it mentioned anywhere on the web. Please see two videos below.

Does the V4 driver solve this issue?

Setting process buffer range to medium or small helps - setting it to large makes it happen a lot.

Reported to RME Support in the UK and got nowhere.

I'm assuming this not a case of CPU core overload. If the rocky playhead in Logic is in an indication I'm not sure how you lay this on your RME audio interface? This does not happen without it?

I'm currently trying to investigate this area of problems, but I need data from people having these types of issues as I don't have it in macOS 13.3.x. Like:



Which macOS version?
Amount of RAM?
How much space on SSD?
What apps or services do you use that interfaces with CoreAudio?
As this is in Logic did you talk to Apple support? What do they say?

We have some little data and advice in the 4.07 thread, but so far few have reported any of it working for them. Updating to 13.3 worked for me.

I have been speaking with Apple extensively about this for a few months and have not found the solution. 
I've also had the issue when not using the RME driver as such. (still installed however).
Been sending the Apple engineers "CaptureData" logs and they keep coming back with "get rid of third party extensions", which I have done and it still remains an issue.
They also said to get rid of the Driverkit driver from RME, but that is not an option for me, as this is my "daily driver" work machine.
Updating OS's seemed to work for a short while, then the problem returns.

OS 13.3.2
64GB Ram
1.4TB remaining
Logic, ProTools Ultimate

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

295 (edited by The Beatsmith 2023-05-02 19:44:04)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

stromkraft wrote:
The Beatsmith wrote:

I have to logic stutter issue highlighted earlier in this thread. This is the first time I’ve seen it mentioned anywhere on the web. Please see two videos below.

Does the V4 driver solve this issue?

Setting process buffer range to medium or small helps - setting it to large makes it happen a lot.

Reported to RME Support in the UK and got nowhere.

I'm assuming this not a case of CPU core overload. If the rocky playhead in Logic is in an indication I'm not sure how you lay this on your RME audio interface? This does not happen without it?

I'm currently trying to investigate this area of problems, but I need data from people having these types of issues as I don't have it in macOS 13.3.x. Like:

Which macOS version?
Amount of RAM?
How much space on SSD?
What apps or services do you use that interfaces with CoreAudio?
As this is in Logic did you talk to Apple support? What do they say?

We have some little data and advice in the 4.07 thread, but so far few have reported any of it working for them. Updating to 13.3 worked for me.

Mostly info is in my sig, but:

MacOS 12.6.3
64GB RAM
750GB Free Space
Umm, Safari, Logic? I'm not sure what the question is - on this system I'm using Logic, FCPX, TotalMix, Safari... it will do this with Just Logic running, and causes glitches with Safari (see second video link above)

I'm running a Mac Studio Ultra with a MADIFace Pro USB connected via USB to USB-A port on the Mac Studio. I've tried different cables.

I've tried several different clocking masters, changed MADI modes (56/64 channel, etc),

When I switch to system audio in Logic, the problem doesn't show up. When I switch to the RME, the

I sent a report to Apple ('Mike Audio'), they asked for system report info and a project that exhibits the problem. I uploaded it for them, but I don't think it's common to hear anything back in any case.

I'm still running Totalmix 1.78, Driver 3.28 and Firmware v73 on the MADIFace Pro.

Does the V4 driver update help in any of these areas?

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 12.6.3, Logic 10.7.7

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

FYI: I had big problems with 4.0* driver. I downgraded to 3.28A and this fixed the problems for me (stuttering/glitches with moderate/high RAM pressure).

297 (edited by The Beatsmith 2023-05-04 18:52:01)

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

mattrixx wrote:
stromkraft wrote:
The Beatsmith wrote:

I have to logic stutter issue highlighted earlier in this thread. This is the first time I’ve seen it mentioned anywhere on the web. Please see two videos below.

Does the V4 driver solve this issue?

Setting process buffer range to medium or small helps - setting it to large makes it happen a lot.

Reported to RME Support in the UK and got nowhere.

I'm assuming this not a case of CPU core overload. If the rocky playhead in Logic is in an indication I'm not sure how you lay this on your RME audio interface? This does not happen without it?

I'm currently trying to investigate this area of problems, but I need data from people having these types of issues as I don't have it in macOS 13.3.x. Like:



Which macOS version?
Amount of RAM?
How much space on SSD?
What apps or services do you use that interfaces with CoreAudio?
As this is in Logic did you talk to Apple support? What do they say?

We have some little data and advice in the 4.07 thread, but so far few have reported any of it working for them. Updating to 13.3 worked for me.

I have been speaking with Apple extensively about this for a few months and have not found the solution. 
I've also had the issue when not using the RME driver as such. (still installed however).
Been sending the Apple engineers "CaptureData" logs and they keep coming back with "get rid of third party extensions", which I have done and it still remains an issue.
They also said to get rid of the Driverkit driver from RME, but that is not an option for me, as this is my "daily driver" work machine.
Updating OS's seemed to work for a short while, then the problem returns.

OS 13.3.2
64GB Ram
1.4TB remaining
Logic, ProTools Ultimate

Hi - I only just saw this, thanks for replying. It's somewhat heartwarming to read that at least somebody else has this issue, so I'm not going crazy! It doesn't seem like a very widespread problem. I'm pretty sure I had this issue on my old intel Mac Pro, though, so I don't think it's an ARM issue?

Do you get the problem in Pro Tools, too? Did updating to V4 RME drivers change anything for you?

Since changing to Small Process Buffer Ranger in Logic, the problems here is minimal, although with extra strain on the CPU, of course.

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 12.6.3, Logic 10.7.7

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

Guys, congratulations on the 4.07 release. Before that, I've had clients come to my studio with their shiny new Macs and after 30 minutes of messing around, we end up having to use old tech because of apple's shitty decision to "improve security".

Thank you for being your wonderful selves. RME are the true champions of support.

Loyal RME user since 2001
[AMD 5800X, 32Gb RAM, Win10x64, NVidia GTX1080ti, UCX+UFX, REAPER x64]

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

The Beatsmith wrote:
mattrixx wrote:
stromkraft wrote:

I'm assuming this not a case of CPU core overload. If the rocky playhead in Logic is in an indication I'm not sure how you lay this on your RME audio interface? This does not happen without it?

I'm currently trying to investigate this area of problems, but I need data from people having these types of issues as I don't have it in macOS 13.3.x. Like:



Which macOS version?
Amount of RAM?
How much space on SSD?
What apps or services do you use that interfaces with CoreAudio?
As this is in Logic did you talk to Apple support? What do they say?

We have some little data and advice in the 4.07 thread, but so far few have reported any of it working for them. Updating to 13.3 worked for me.

I have been speaking with Apple extensively about this for a few months and have not found the solution. 
I've also had the issue when not using the RME driver as such. (still installed however).
Been sending the Apple engineers "CaptureData" logs and they keep coming back with "get rid of third party extensions", which I have done and it still remains an issue.
They also said to get rid of the Driverkit driver from RME, but that is not an option for me, as this is my "daily driver" work machine.
Updating OS's seemed to work for a short while, then the problem returns.

OS 13.3.2
64GB Ram
1.4TB remaining
Logic, ProTools Ultimate

Hi - I only just saw this, thanks for replying. It's somewhat heartwarming to read that at least somebody else has this issue, so I'm not going crazy! It doesn't seem like a very widespread problem. I'm pretty sure I had this issue on my old intel Mac Pro, though, so I don't think it's an ARM issue?

Do you get the problem in Pro Tools, too? Did updating to V4 RME drivers change anything for you?

Since changing to Small Process Buffer Ranger in Logic, the problems here is minimal, although with extra strain on the CPU, of course.


Yeah, ProTools is way less tolerant with this and will stop and throw and error.
Going to try the small buffer thing on Logic and see how that goes. Updating to v4 driver didn't help unfortunately.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

300

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

AES > UFX+/ M1/ FL Studio/Kemper Profiler/ ElevenRack, completely unusable. Comes every 5 seconds 1 sound. Under Windows 7 it works very well from 128 ms sample.  TotalMix DAW in mode. Why ausgrechnet AES ? What is different there ?