Topic: Screechy/distorted "digital" sound through USB. ADI-2 DAC FS.

The sound is similar to a fax or old school dialup modem, but higher pitch and more annoying. I have had the DAC for a few years, with no issues.

I recently installed the ASIO output component for Foobar 2000 on my laptop, which is connected to the DAC via USB.

I was doing A/B comparisons of CDs (through CD transport hooked up via coax to DAC) and the FLAC files I created from them. They are on a laptop used solely for that purpose.

I started a song on both sources at the same time, and was using the RME's remote to switch between the 2 inputs. The "distortion" started quietly, barely noticeable, but got worse every time I switched between the transport and back. More of the music was replaced by the "screeching" sound each time.

It very quickly became painful to listen to.

I stopped the song, and when I started it back up, it was fine, until I switched inputs again a couple times and the screeching came back. I then closed Foobar and reopened it, I didn't notice it, but I only flipped inputs a couple times. I was frustrated and walked away.

Any thoughts on the problem?

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-10 04:49:31)

Re: Screechy/distorted "digital" sound through USB. ADI-2 DAC FS.

brad1138 wrote:

...I then closed Foobar and reopened it, I didn't notice it, but I only flipped inputs a couple times.

Does this mean the distortion did not come back after a restart?
Then it might have been a Foobar or system hick-up.

A laptop’s real power-cycle (not just sleep and wake up) is always a good idea, which few people do.

The problem you described happens here with Tidal from iPhone very occasionally, independent from ADI-2 - it’s a Tidal Master hick-up with the internal sample rate switching in this case.

3 (edited by beat8000 2023-06-10 12:47:43)

I also recommend a system restart after a Foobar installation because sometimes e.g. the ASIO Madiface USB icon does not appear immediately in the system tray during the Foobar play.

Which Foobar version have you installed now?
The actual Asio plugin 2.2 needs at least Foobar 1.6

You could also execute the three provided help actions:
- Check for new Foobar2000 versions
- Check for updated components
- Online troubleshooter

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

KaiS wrote:
brad1138 wrote:

...I then closed Foobar and reopened it, I didn't notice it, but I only flipped inputs a couple times.

Does this mean the distortion did not come back after a restart?
Then it might have been a Foobar or system hick-up.

A laptop’s real power-cycle (not just sleep and wake up) is always a good idea, which few people do.

The problem you described happens here with Tidal from iPhone very occasionally, independent from ADI-2 - it’s a Tidal Master hick-up with the internal sample rate switching in this case.

beat8000 wrote:

I also recommend a system restart after a Foobar installation because sometimes e.g. the ASIO Madiface USB icon does not appear immediately in the system tray during the Foobar play.

Which Foobar version have you installed now?
The actual Asio plugin 2.2 needs at least Foobar 1.6

You could also execute the three provided help actions:
- Check for new Foobar2000 versions
- Check for updated components
- Online troubleshooter

Thanks.

I do have my laptop set to reboot every night and it launches Foobar on reboot. It had been rebooted a few times since the last install of Foobar.

I am hoping it was just a glitch fixed by a reboot. I'll test again later today.

I am now just a bit anxious that I will worry "is it right" every time I listen...

There is a "bit perfect" test I think, I'll look that up and test with it also.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-10 22:21:57)

brad1138 wrote:

I am now just a bit anxious that I will worry "is it right" every time I listen...

Yes, very simple, just play some special short files RME provides.
Repeat the test after some playtime and switching too, would ensure everything stays fine.

Read manual page 67, which even contains the download link for the files:

Excerpt:
31.14 Bit Test

A bit test is used to check the playback path for unwanted changes in the playback data. ...

KaiS wrote:
brad1138 wrote:

Yes, very simple, just play some special short files RME provides.
Repeat the test after some playtime and switching too, would ensure everything stays fine.

Read manual page 67, which even contains the download link for the files:

Excerpt:
31.14 Bit Test

A bit test is used to check the playback path for unwanted changes in the playback data. ...

Thanks,

It passed all the 16 and 24 bit files, seems to ignore the 32 bit, doesn't say failed or passed. I was able to convert the 16 and 24 bit @ 44.1 KHz files to FLAC, and it passed those as well.

I am not going to worry about the 32 bit, doubtful I will ever utilize it.