1 (edited by TR62 2023-06-21 08:28:04)

Topic: ASIO UFX USB driver problem (Reaper Win10x64)

Been a long time user of the UFX over USB and it's been solid.  Thanks RME. 
Reaper has been working fine too. 
But recently there have been issues, where Reaper cannot see the ASIO driver for the UFX and fails on load.

This has either been caused by:
a) driver update v1245 - reverting to v1227 sems to have had a positive effect
b) SSD system drive replacement (cloned to a larger device using Clonezilla)

The SSD replacement meant adjusting the BIOS settings for USB, as the Asus X99 is USB3 throughout, and the Linux USB key needed BIOS changes.  Until that point, two Orico USB3 hubs connected MIDI devices, and the UFX was is on its own motherboard USB3 port.  This has worked flawlessly for a long time, although I seem to remember having to find a way to force USB2 rather than USB3 somehow, but it was a long time ago, and I do not remember how it was done.  Possibly EHCI or xHCI enable/disable in the BIOS?  If anyone knows more about this, by all means chime in.

Surprising that the UFX which is on a dedicated USB port is having ASIO driver problems.  Windows has no issue seeing it in Device Manager, and I can verify the driver, and use YouTube through it, etc.  WDM is assumed.  However, Reaper cannot detect the ASIO driver in its scanned list.  Sometimes when the UFX is switched on later than boot time, or reconnected, the USB insertion event does not light the blue LED, implying the driver has failed to load in Windows.

I labour this because it could very easily be USB BIOS settings, for sure, but reverting to v1227 of the driver has allowed Reaper to find the ASIO driver again.  Is there any issue with v1245 that could be colouring things?

Many thanks.

I have 8x WDM, 48kHz, 64samples, lastest UFX firmware, set up so the host cannot change the UFX settings - all never been an issue before.

EDIT: Driver v 1227, working
Updater reports: USB 361, Firewire 344, DSP 163, USB (class compliant) 29 - latest version flashed when v1245 was installed.  Dropped back to 1x WDM out temporarily.

Re: ASIO UFX USB driver problem (Reaper Win10x64)

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 36#p138636

Interesting to read this.  There are several ASMEDIA devices on this Asus X99 motherboard (it's an X99 E WS CEB).  The USB host chip for USB3 is one of them, and it is currently disabled in the BIOS.

3 (edited by Seaside Music 2023-06-21 05:33:05)

I just had this issue last weekend updating to 1.245.  Samplitude could not see my ASIO drivers. 

I'm also Win10x64

I rolled back one version with no luck.  Then I re-installed 1.245 again and flashed firmware on my UCX II.  That got me back to working.

I had another issue with my digital outs after that, but that was my fault and a bit convoluted.

TR62 wrote:

But recently there have been issues, where Reaper cannot see the ASIO driver for the UFX and fails on load.

This has either been caused by:
a) driver update v1245 - reverting to v1227 seems to have had a positive effect

A full restart (also called cold boot) would have worked with 1.245 as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by TR62 2023-06-21 17:55:26)

Ah yes, the "reboot and all will be well" mantra.  If only.

The PC and RME interface were on/off many times, just getting back to v1227, and stable BIOS settings, over several hours of trial and error.  Apparently, it's really quite hard to adjust a PC's BIOS settings WITHOUT rebooting the machine... [humour!]

Others are posting re missing ASIO drivers too, so it might be worth comparing the code between v1227 and v1245 and ringing any changes.  Might be worth noting if there were any pertinent Win10 updates about that time. 

At this point, I regard v1245 as kinda funky re USB and ASIO, so I shall be sticking with v1227 for now, as that version is behaving itself.

So you know that others have the same issue but missed  the posts explaining it?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 05#p197305

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 60#p197360

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Apparently so.  Needle in an RME UFX haystack from my POV.

Although reading the links now, I am glad you identified something amiss with ASIO earlier than v1227.

However, v1227 went to v1245 here, so I can't see really see how issues with v1245 are covered by the same issue - unless you're suggesting v1245 is not descended from v1227?  If not, I guess that makes sense.  If it is, it is quite possible there is still something amiss with v1245.  I rest me case, m'lud.

For your reference, Win10x64Pro 22H2 19045.3086.  Hope you find your bug.