1 (edited by TWY 2023-06-24 05:26:44)

Topic: Optical2 is AES/SPDIF - Signal routed to AES channel - still no sound

Hi,

I'm using the UFX+, via USB3.

My setup is such:

Optical 2 out via TOSLINK cable, to a digital-to-analog adapter, and then from the adapter output, to my computer speakers.

My settings on the UFX+ are:

Optical 2 OUT set to AES/SPDIF. "Consumer" or "Professional" doesn't seem to make a difference.

On my computer, I have designated the sound as coming from "ADAT 7+8".

on TotalMix, I've also already routed the signal on the AES channel with "ADAT 7+8".

I'm still getting NO sound from my computer speakers.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong here?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Optical2 is AES/SPDIF - Signal routed to AES channel - still no sound

Plug the optical cable not into the DAC, but back into the UFX+ and check that there is really an audio signal. If so the DAC is at fault.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I can confirm that there is an audio signal. The TOSLINK cable has red light from coming from the other opposite end from where it's connected to the UFX+.

Perhaps a faulty DAC. Let me get a new DAC and I'll report back.

Thanks.

?????????

Did you see level at the respective TM FX input channels? Did you listen to it via the UFX+ input monitoring? Did you check the input's status in the Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by TWY 2023-06-24 10:33:59)

Yes, I can see the metering levels in TM FX. Both "ADAT 7+8" and the AES channel has a meter signal. Which means the audio signal should be there, correct?

How do I check the input monitoring? Also, what does the input in the Settings dialog have to do with what I'm trying to achieve - which is output to the DAC?

TWY wrote:

Yes, I can see the metering levels in TM FX.

How do I check the input monitoring? Also, what does the input in the Settings dialog have to do with what I'm trying to achieve - which is output to the DAC?

I think this refers to the "loopback" test of your optical port to see whether it's working before further troubleshooting the connection of the connected device.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by TWY 2023-06-24 10:41:53)

Oh, I see! Apologies for the misunderstanding. Yes, I just tested the loopback. I plugged the the TOSLINK cable from "out" back into "in".

I see a signal at the AES input in TotalMix FX, which means there's an audio signal going out and back into the UFX+.

Which means, the UFX+ should be in working order, correct?

And then you can check two things with such a loopback test

a) whether you see not only "lock" but the more important "sync" status

b) you can then route audio to all 8 ADAT outptut channels (8 at single speed) and then observe whether all 8 ADAT channels are also visible on the HW inputs ADAT x..y (1-8 or 9-16 depending on whether this is ADAT1 or ADAT2).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

okay. But since I'm getting a physical audio signal through the loopback, I have a strong feeling this problem has nothing to do with the UFX unit. The cables connecting the UFX+ and the DAC are all new as well.

I think it's a faulty DAC. I'll be receiving a new DAC tomorrow, will check and see how it goes. If it still doesn't work, then I'll do more tests like you mentioned.

Thanks.

I knew it!

Just got my new DAC, and now everything works. So it was a faulty DAC afterall.

Anyway, thanks so much for your troubleshooting help, guys!

Solved.

Great, thanks for the good news and the positive feedback!