1 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-11 22:17:01)

Topic: UFX III / Fireface 802 FS Conversion Chip Digital Filter

I read somewhere that the DAC in this is AK4490. This has five types of 32-bit digital filters. Can you set which one you prefer or is it a default setting that cannot be changed? If a default setting, which is it? Thanks.

Same for Fireface 802 FS as UFX III?

Re: UFX III / Fireface 802 FS Conversion Chip Digital Filter

It seems that selectable D/A filter (if the chip allows) are only offered for the series of ADI-2 DAC/Pro etc reference converters.

Typical recording interfaces (UFX III, etc) will continue to use the filter with the most linear frequency response for best results for the typical use cases of recording interfaces.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Default filter is most linear at lowest latency - exactly what is needed for a studio audio interface. We see no need and use with different filters for this kind of device.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-12 07:48:07)

Thanks, that makes sense. I'd like to use Fireface 802 FS for multi use - for home studio recording and for my personal music playback in a hifi system. I'm considering selling my hifi DAC as will be redundant.

For my personal listening preferences the option to chose filters, as with ADI-2 Pro FS, would be a nice feature.

Is there any noticeable/worthwhile difference in DAC sound quality between ADI-2 Pro FS and Fireface 802 FS?

Last question, to connect Fireface 802 FS to my hifi power amp can I simply connect using TRS To XLR cable (power amp has xlr inputs) for balanced connection and control volume with Fireface 802 FS?

Thanks!

TRS is only another type of plug, also with 3 pins which are needed for balanced operation:
- the signal in two different polarities (+/-)
- ground

So, you can use a TRS to XLR cable for connecting the HiFi Amp to the 802 using a balanced connection.

> Is there any noticeable/worthwhile difference in DAC sound quality between ADI-2 Pro FS and Fireface 802 FS?

You should try it out yourself. Maybe only subtle differences.
It also depends on your room, ear, other equipment and finally, your ear's listening capabilities.
Besides conversion quality, the ADI-2 Pro offers many more features, which you might be interested in as well.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-12 09:22:36)

Thank you ramses.

You're right, the ADI-2 Pro does offer a feature to select digital filter which would be nice in the Fireface 802 FS. Hopefully this might come with a software/firmware update :)

halloweenman wrote:

Is there any noticeable/worthwhile difference in DAC sound quality between ADI-2 Pro FS and Fireface 802 FS?

I was using the ADI-2 pro with an Apollo setup and also an old Fireface 800. When I got the ufx3, I listened for a bit using the ufx3 and ADI and just decided I didn't need the ADI in the setup. Do they sound different? Maybe a little, but they both sound great either way so it was just overkill and added complexity to me. The ADI has been sitting on the shelf for a few months now and no regrets.

Looks like the 802 basically sounds the same as the ufx3. The 802 at say $2300 vs $2k for the ADI, I think the 802 is a pretty fantastic value.

Just one person's opinion.

Thanks agotheridge

Neumann MT 48 includes option to select DAC digital filter for preference. Just saying smile