1 (edited by asoka 2023-07-16 01:59:02)

Topic: adi2 dac digital to digital or analog to analog

Hi!
It is any possibility to use adi2 dac as a preamp for another analog input signal or to an digital out signal?
I have another dac with an tube buffer output, but without a volume control.

Any possibility to use my adi2 dac as a preamp and use his volume control? I think not because had only digital inputs right?

Another question is if i could use adi2 dac to send digital signal to the other dac?...I do not understand fully how the usb rec coax work or loopback to usb...what signal is rerouted to coax input...analog preamplified one, analog dac level or digital, also to the usb?

The last question, the dsp processing is done to the digital signal before dac or to the analog signal output from dac or after preamp?
It is possible to show me on the board where I could tap the analog signal after DAC and before preamp to send it to the tube buffer that I have or is some trade secret (this to avoid double amplification by op amp and tube?

I am not a person with to much electronic knowledge I just try to resolve this problem that I have.

Thank you!

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-16 07:39:12)

Re: adi2 dac digital to digital or analog to analog

ADI-2 DAC’s complete internal routing, incl. “Loopback to USB record”, is shown in the block diagram manual page 70.
USB cannot be connected to another DAC.

Volume control (not shown) is part of the DSP / digital signal processing, or, in case of DSD input, inside the DAC chip.

Should answer all the related questions.

Modding ADI-2 DAC (voids warranty of course) for an insert, post DAC/pre headphones amps, would need some simple signal tracing on the circuit board.

If you’re not able to do that I’d strongly suggest to leave ADI-2 DAC alone.
Don’t expect RME to give further informations on this.

Re: adi2 dac digital to digital or analog to analog

Thank you very much!
Yes it is over my head !
On this another dac purchased, diy one, they marked some points from where to tap the signal and send it to tube buffer board...I hoped that I could obtain the same from rme dac to use it with that tube buffer board. But as i do not have the electronic knowledge necessary more than to solder the wires to indicated output I could not do this myself.
Thanks again!