1 (edited by steve sleeve 2023-07-25 13:24:00)

Topic: Aquired the UFX and UFX II and wondering which to keep?

So I bought a UFX used and it had no sound output. Seller was great and sent me a used UFX II but that would not power on. I obtained a new power supply for the UFX and it's in my setup and working. I'll get the UFX II repaired and then decide which one to keep.

I want to use either unit live with my macbook but also as a stand alone in case I have any computer trouble. I believe the unit holds 5 or 6 presets? Can you download a total mix set up with routing into the units to run standalone?  I am setting up a mostly live and sometimes a recording setup for drums only and have Four situations:
1. Acoustic drums only with 4 channels live
2. Adat for 12 mics recording.
3. Electronic pads triggering superior drummer 3 live or recording. and the
4th option is Acoustic 4 channel triggering SD 3 in combination.

So should the computer go down can I just switch the saves presets and go with mics or my edrum module only as a preset? I need a click channel, Monitor  in ear feed.  I suppose I could get a simple rack digital mixer but thought it would be nice to use the RME for all situations and my in ear rig with stellar quality sound and have a simple small case to bring with me for any set up. Thanks for your insight.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-07-25 08:43:46)

Re: Aquired the UFX and UFX II and wondering which to keep?

Hi Steve, welcome to the RME user forum.

steve sleeve wrote:

So I bought a UFX used and it had no sound output. Seller was great and sent me a used UFX II but that would not power on. I obtained a new power supply for the UFX and it's in my setup and working.

I'll get the UFX II repaired and then decide which one to keep.

I want to use either unit live with my macbook but also as a stand alone in case I have any computer trouble.

I believe the unit holds 5 or 6 presets? Can you download a total mix set up with routing into the units to run standalone?

I am setting up a mostly live and sometimes a recording setup for drums only and have Four situations .
1. Acoustic drums only with 4 channels live
2. Adat for 12 mics recording.
3. Electronic pads triggering superior drummer 3 live or recording. and the
4th option is Acoustic 4 channel triggering SD 3 in combination.

So should the computer go down can I just switch the saves presets and go with mics or my edrum module only as a preset?

I need a click channel, Monitor  in ear feed.

I suppose I could get a simple rack digital mixer but thought it would be nice to use the RME for all situations and my in ear rig with stellar quality sound and have a simple small case to bring with me for any set up.

Thanks for your insight.

Please, next time use the return key to break one long sentence down in multiple ones so that it gets more structure and that things stay together that belong together. This way it is only very hard to read.

I would keep the newer UFX II as it got a new better analog section and got additions so that it s completely controllable via display in stand-alone mode and much more. This blog article informs you about the differences between UFX and UFX+/II:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Entry/68-RME-UFX/

You can store the routing and settings into six profiles using TM FX and then recall them in standalone mode.

Click channel is something that you would enable/disable in the DAW. Maybe you can route it to a different output in the DAW so that it pops up on a different SW playback channel. Then you can control the intensity in TM FX and that you can hear it only in the submix for your phones but not the life monitoring if this is what you want.

If you have an iPAD you can use TM FX for iPAD to better control the unit in stand-alone mode.

Further differences / technical data you can compare using my Excel sheet, look here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13