Topic: UFX and FF 802 Crackling

Hello

I've recently added a UFX to my FF802 with the idea of expanding the i/o of my setup. I'm running both on USB drivers.

I have an old FF800 connected to my optical inputs on the 802, and the 800 is set to slave and sync'd over ADAT optical. The UFX is connected on a second USB port on my desktop. This is not connected via ADAT or wordclock.

I'm noticing in projects (Cubase 9 DAW running on Win 10) that after a few minutes I'm getting a lot of digital crackling like clocks drifting? This gets worse and worse. If I reset the sample buffer or alter it, it will correct, and then gradually creep back.

I wasn't aware I needed to connect wordclock or something up to the UFX and 802 to get them to play ball, but is that what's required to stop this? I don't understand what's going on?!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-08-21 23:16:22)

Re: UFX and FF 802 Crackling

How about connecting adat cables between UFX and 802, UFX slave sync to the 802.
One master - 802, all others slave over optical
No need for wordclock

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi thanks for the advice.

Should've made clearer:
Have occasional optical inputs (high end pre's) on the UFX so I don't have capacity to do that. The opticals are taken up on the 802 as well.

Am I wrong in saying that this equipment should work without the need for sync as it's on the same driver/bus? Or am I being very naive?

4 (edited by waedi 2023-08-22 00:01:56)

Ah ok, in this case you should try with a wordclock cable from 802 to the UFX and make the UFX clock-mode external wordclock.
I learned it this way. On Mac it is possible to use multiple interfaces and they need to have sync contact by wire, they do not sync in the computer over the software driver.
i think on Windows computer this is the same.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Are there any disadvantages to using an AES connection between the two? I don't have a good BNC word cable at the studio at the moment.

francisks1985 wrote:

Are there any disadvantages to using an AES connection between the two? I don't have a good BNC word cable at the studio at the moment.

I would say with RME interfaces it doesn’t matter how they are synced, but for sure the have to be! In every digital audio setup there must be one clock master and all other devices slaved to it.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

francisks1985 wrote:

Am I wrong in saying that this equipment should work without the need for sync as it's on the same driver/bus? Or am I being very naive?

The connection over USB (or FireWire, or…) is independent from the word clock on the audio interface(s) and other connected devices like ADAT converters/preamps. On the other hand, the sample rate value can be (and very often is) dictated from the computer. No worries, for sure you are not the only one being confused about how such things work.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2