Topic: ADI 2 Pro best way to add extra XLR analog input(s)

Hi all.
First a question about the balanced (XLR and TRS) analog inputs, are they differential?
Second question, what would be the best way to add (1 or 2) extra balanced XLR inputs?

Thanks.......Dr. Larkos

2 (edited by waedi 2023-09-04 02:40:36)

Re: ADI 2 Pro best way to add extra XLR analog input(s)

Page 110 in the user manual shows the blockdiagram.
The Input 1 or 2 is one input, XLR and TRS is not separated, therefor no difference.
The Toslink socket can take additional inputs from a device, 12Mic for example.
UFX lll would be a useful option.
You may explain what the use of the additional XLR inputs shall be.
Recording this signal in the computer or listening it on loudspeakers or headphones directly ?

https://i.ibb.co/7SHXJzX/input.jpg

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

dr.larkos wrote:

Hi all.
First a question about the balanced (XLR and TRS) analog inputs, are they differential?
Second question, what would be the best way to add (1 or 2) extra balanced XLR inputs?

Thanks.......Dr. Larkos

I would combine the ADI-2 Pro with a RME recording interface, this integrates best.
I am running my setup this way since years.
Then you have TotalMix FX as digital mixer and by this much better control over the routing of audio in general.

In this blog article you can see, how nicely this integrates / fits into each other.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Not knowing your budget, setup, expectations I would propose to look at the quite new UCX II. It would be a phantastic interface for you in every aspect. It has the same compact form factors and got so many very useful features from the flagship interfaces, but without having to spend that much money.

The ADI-2 Pro uses only 2 out of the 8 channels and its routing capabilities are very pre-determined by the routing modes.
I think adding an ADI-2 FS might perhaps be possible but I would really recommend to spend a few bucks more and getting an UCX II as base to get a really round setup.

The UCX II with DURec you can even use as field recorder / tape deck if you like and is stand-alone operateable.

The setup in short

PC
|
USB
|
UCX II---AES OUT------------->AES IN---ADI-2 Pro--1/2---Active Monitors
         \----AES IN<-----------AES OUT---/                 \--3/4---Headphones

Clock Master                         Clock Slave

Alternatively you can use the ADAT port with SPDIF, then you do not need to use the break-out cable on the ADI-2 Pro for reaching the AES port.

The UCX II can be / should be clock master in this setup. The application (e.g. music player) will set the sample rate e.g. through the ASIO driver. The ADI-2 Pro receives the clock as clock slave from its digital input (AES or ADAT).
By the special design of the ADI-2 DAC/PRO series of devices the  final D/A conversion will be performed by the internal FS clock in highest quality (even if the device is configured as clock slave).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

dr.larkos wrote:

Hi all.

Thanks.......Dr. Larkos

ADI-2 Pro has one single stereo AD-converter.

For keeping several XLR sources connected:

https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-1-Ausgan … amp;sr=8-1

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71A1QxAFApL._AC_SX679_.jpg

5 (edited by dr.larkos 2023-09-04 07:02:32)

Thanks, Waedi.

The purpose of the extra analog inputs is to connect more than one analog source: a turntable and a reel-to-reel tape recorder/player, both having fully balanced XLR outputs. Right now, my turntable uses a moving coil cartridge and sends its fully balanced analog signal through its XLR output into the XLR balanced/differential input of my phono preamp, which in turn sends out a fully balanced analog signal through its XLR output into the balanced analog (dual-purpose) XLR/TRS input of the ADI-2 Pro. As we well know, the ADI-2 Pro has only one such balanced analog input. I would like very much to be able to use my reel-to-reel player with the AD-2 Pro without having to unplug the turntable...therefore, my question about the best way to add extra XLR inputs do this; perhaps with splitter cables or a suitable passive switch box, or some active audio interface. I use the AD-2 Pro as an external room equalizer when listening to analog through my speakers--obviously, for digital sources all that is done internally (D>A, no A>D>A).

Waedi, do you happen to know if the XLR/TRS analog input of the AD-2 Pro is both balanced and differential?

Thanks again...........................Dr. Larkos

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-04 07:08:43)

dr.larkos wrote:

...do you happen to know if the XLR/TRS analog input of the ADI-2 Pro is both balanced and differential?

They both are.

For the switching: see above.

KaiS wrote:
dr.larkos wrote:

...do you happen to know if the XLR/TRS analog input of the AD-2 Pro is both balanced and differential?

They both are.

For the switching: see above.

+1  nice idea. Didn't think of this, switching sound as the best and most cost effective solution if none of a recording interfaces capabiliy would be useful for the customer.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by dr.larkos 2023-09-04 07:24:56)

Ramses, KaiS, thanks. You guys are to the rescue, as always. You responded as I was busy answering Waedi.

KaiS, I have been considering the Nobsound (as a pasive device). This version is hard-wired but they have another version that uses a circuit board with, reportedly shorter signal paths. Since it is Amazon, I will order both and compare.

Ramses, I am going to study your recommended solution(s) using active devices...incidentally, this is for a Hi-Fi setup, with no computer nearby.

Thanks and all the best.......... Dr.Larkos

Edit: Just saw confirmation about the "differential" question. Many thanks. Dr.L

9 (edited by ramses 2023-09-04 07:46:25)

Regarding your comment "no computer nearby".

I am uncertain whether it is maybe still an option for you if you think about how long AES or ADAT cables can be.

Let's put my living room as an example.
On the one end I have my recording corner, on the other end/side the HiFi corner.

The recording corner is actually my work place for everything that I do with the computer:
Office, Internet, Recording, listning to music, gaming.
There I have UFX III as a recording interface and am using an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE as reference converter with all of its features.

Then I have a long ADAT cables from the recording interface (UFX III) going to the 2nd ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, which does all AD/DA in my HiFi Corner to all involved devices.

Recording Corner:
UFX III ---- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
|
|
| ADAT (15+1=16m)
|
|
Oehlbach Optosel 4:1------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
       TV
       BluRay
       free

Either you get a recording interface and have the possibility to connect it to a computer.
If you use ADAT you can use up to 15m without issues, I have even another 1m on top behind the TOSLINK switcher.
If you would use AES then even around 100m or even more would be possible.

This way, you can make your Laptop or Desktop computer to a music player.

The best thing for me is, that I can remote control the MusicBee Player on Windows remote through Wireless using an Android app. Then I can play for example an Auto-Playlist (all at minimum 5-Star rated FLAC files) and skip or go back using the smartphone as remote.

But if you do not want/need a recording interface at all or to use your computer for music, then simply skip my idea, then KaiS solution is the most cost efficient for you and doesn't change anything in your setup. Then you also no not have to deal with TotalMix FX and routing ...

And older status, meanwhile a lot of devices changed, but this was the initial setup as described above:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … her-EN-DE/

Some other views on it:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2774-adi-2-pro-fs-r-be-use-cases-jpg/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2251-03-adi-2-dac-overview-room-cabling-v2-jpg/

The actual setup how all fits into each other in Recording and HiFi Corner.
Do not look too much into the details, just to give you an impression, how nicely everything works together.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2948-current-setup-2022-jpg/

In my main rig for hifi, I have a similar solution to what KaiS suggested: a Little Bear with 2 balanced and 1 single-ended input and then both balance and single-ended outputs. All in/out-puts at the back, two knobs on the front to choose with.
RIAA balanced and Universal Player balanced (Bluray, SACD, HDCD and CD replay) and sometimes my old tape deck single ended - all analog to balanced in ADI-2 Pro R Be and then to mono blocks + loudspeakers.
On the Adi-2 Pro I can choose between AN (analog) and AES inputs. AES brings the sound from my Network Bridge.
All works really well!

zyberguran, thank you for your input.

ramses, thank you for your thorough and fascinating explanation of an (it can be said) computer-based alternative using active interfaces. Unfortunately, that is well beyond my scope. As you suggest the cabling issue itself is a non-starter given the spouse's approval factor. The listening room is in fact the main living room, with painfully implemented equipment and furniture location and with aesthetics and sound quality in precarious balance (LOL): no computers allowed (relegated to the lower floor in a three-storied townhouse). So, I will be experimenting with KaiS's suggestion.

All the best.....dr.larkos

12 (edited by ramses 2023-09-05 07:17:55)

No problem, only wanted to mention it as an alternative, not knowing your exact demand.

My room with computers in was only an example.
PC/Laptop can be in any room and remote control via android via Wireless. Or use a more stylish Microsoft Surface.

"Computers in the living room" is a necessary compromise for us. We have been looking for years for a nice/larger flat closer to the centre of the city, *sigh*. Not so easy "these days".
At least this setup is an excellent combination of RME / recording and a High-end HiFi also useable as "Monitor B" to cross-check sound etc.