Topic: macOS USB DriverKit driver update 4.09 – Sonoma

Under Sonoma, putting the computer to sleep and later wake up system behaviour has changed.

Driver 4.09 includes surveillance routines to prevent havoc with record data after wakeup. The issue seems to be limited to apps that don't stop audio on their own when the computer enters sleep.

The driver package also includes the latest TotalMix FX 1.85, see included readme for changes.

Download:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_409.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: macOS USB DriverKit driver update 4.09 – Sonoma

Thank you!

Digiface USB is recognized and works.
Perfect.
Those interfaces who did work with the previous driver 408 don't need firmware upgrade, correct ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by darkinners 2023-09-29 15:09:50)

Thank you MC for the quick driver update. However, I am not sure if this issue I have is RME or Apple related.
After I updated to MacOS Sonoma, whenever I playback video on bowser [Safari/Chrome/Edge] either on Youtube or Netflix, there's a high chance that has Audio dropout or audio/video is out of sync after the video has been playback for a while. switch the output device to a Macbook Pro speaker then UFX+ fixes the problem but it will happen randomly again even in the same video.

I have this issue with the 4.08 driver as well as the 4.09 driver.

Laptop: 2021 Macbook Pro 14" with M1Max CPU connected to external monitor via USB-C dp alt mode.
Audio Interface: RME UFX+ connected via USB3

*edit: This only happens when connecting via USB, do not experience drop out/audio video syncing issue with TB connection.

6 (edited by kamurah 2023-10-01 15:25:30)

Hello...

After upgrading to Sonoma from Ventura, I am having heavy audio dropouts and glitches using a Digiface Dante. M1 Pro Macbook Pro

I have flashed the DF Dante Firmware to the latest (56), and installed 4.09 driver package.  (I also tried 4.08 but same issue existed)

I did not have any issues running Ventura so this seems odd behavior to me.  I tried a re-install of Sonoma but the problem persists. 

Have tested in Logic and Abelton...same issue....random glitches / dropouts.  All buffer settings affected.  Even with YT videos and regular playback of audio there are issues.  Glitching...random repeats of slices of audio...dropouts...pauses in video playback...

Any suggesstions /troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.  This is the first issue I have ever had with this hardware setup.

*edit** I just noticed in Logic these glitches / dropouts are accompanied by CPU spikes whenever they happen.  There is no regular intervals for the spikes / glitches...seems to happen randomly

7 (edited by waedi 2023-10-01 16:22:26)

Reinstalling OS did probably re-enabled SIP, Disable SIP again.

To do so:

Restart your Mac.
Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R, and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.
From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: crucial disable
The terminal should display a message that SIP was disabled.
From the menu, select Restart.

waedi wrote:

Reinstalling OS did probably re-enabled SIP, Disable SIP again.

To do so:

Restart your Mac.
Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R, and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.
From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: crucial disable
The terminal should display a message that SIP was disabled.
From the menu, select Restart.

I had fingers crossed this would do the trick....unfortunately, it did not.

I appreciate you helping me try to figure this out though! 

Any other thoughts?

I am also having audio dropouts with UFX III after updating to Sonoma. I have not installed the latest driver kit driver, and am hesitant to do so after reading this post.

Any word from RME about this?

10 (edited by Zodiak 2023-10-05 16:24:08)

Hallo Leute,

tut mir leid wenn ich hier mal reingrätsche.
Nach einem Update auf Treiber v4.09 funktioniert alles soweit,
bis auf die Version von TotalMix FX.
Es soll mit dem update die Version 1.85 von TotalMix FX installiert werden, das tat es aber nicht
sondern es ist nur Version 1.83.
Mein System ist MacMini 2018
OS ist Ventura 13.4.1 (c)
Interface ist ein Digiface USB

Was kann ich noch machen?

Grüße Christian

P.S. Lasst mich raten die Version 1.85 lässt sich nur unter Sonoma installieren, richtig?

Erledigt, alles läuft so wie es soll.

MacMini 2018, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c), Digiface USB, Focusrite Clarett OctoPre, Behringer ADA8200.

Neu gebootet nach der Installation?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ja das habe ich gemacht
Sonoma habe ich noch nicht installiert
nur den Treiber und dann habe ich gebootet.
Das habe ich gestern gemacht.

MacMini 2018, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c), Digiface USB, Focusrite Clarett OctoPre, Behringer ADA8200.

Ich meine auf Eurer Webseite einen Link gefunden zu haben
der nur TotalMix FX in der neusten Version zum Download ansteht.
Den finde ich leider nicht mehr.

So, nach ein bisschen Suchen habe ich die aktuelle Version von
TotalMix FX gefunden und ihn in den Programme Ordner kopiert.
So ist alles gut.
Ich überlege mir noch ob ich bald ein Update auf Sonoma mache.
Ich werde noch ein bisschen warten.

Grüße Christian

15 (edited by Aishock 2023-10-05 19:00:50)

Liebe Community,

ich schaffe es einfach nicht mein Fireface UFX unter sonoma zum Laufen zu bringen. Auf meinem Mac Pro 2013 Monterey läuft alles.
Total mix oeffnet nicht und das USB Update macht er einfach nicht. ich habe mich an die Anleitung uf der rme Seite gehalten. Dort steht es für Ventura. Wer kann mir helfen.
Habe ein M 1 Max Mac Book pro ...

Hallo Aishock, ich versuche es mal.

Gib mir mal den Link für die Anleitung die Du benutzt hast.
Was hast Du gemacht und in welcher Reihenfolge?
Worüber hast Du das Fireface angeschlossen USB oder Firewire?

Gruß Christian

Hi,

I made my own post (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38181) about these Sonoma glitches on the newest driver, and I was wondering if there were any further updates to this? I'm getting random glitches where a small burst of the current audio is repeated a few times and then continues normally. This is super annoying to say the very least, especially when a client is listening through a song... I'm on Sonoma 14.0, UFX III with v4.09 and v20. The old kernel extension has been deleted.

This doesn't happen when the UFX is disconnected.

Am very happy to try a new driver version if you have something cooking.

FireFace UFX III
MacBook Pro M1 Pro (Sonoma)

Update: Interestingly, when I change connect the UFX III into my CalDigit USB hub, the frequency of the glitches are tremendously more frequent. Is this an USB overload issue in Sonoma then?

To clarify, I've been running the UFX III directly into my computer with the USB3 B-C cable that came with the unit.

FireFace UFX III

The question is which other units (like dongles, devices etc) are connected to the same USB bus? And what other background apps are active that might interfere? Sonoma fixed the basic issues for most, so there must be something special about your system that it still fails as with the older OS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by Notherman 2023-10-10 07:56:50)

The setup is exactly the same as it was when I was on Monterey. Literally only the operating system changed, after which this glitching issue began. The unit is running directly into the laptop with the provided cable, and as I mentioned above, if I route the unit through my usb dock, things get way worse. This type of behaviour wasn't present on Monterey. I tried to uninstall an older driver and then reinstall the latest driver just in case, but that didn't help.

What is running in the background are all of my basic day-to-day apps which were also in use on Monterey. Nothing new, nothing gone. The issue on Sonoma is also much different than what it was on Monterey: I was getting maybe one or two glitches per day on Monterey, but the issue has multiplied to five or six an hour or even once or twice a minute at its worst on Sonoma.

There's also a bug with the Zoom conferencing app: whenever the UFX is seen by the computer, attempting to open Zoom's audio settings instantly crashes the program. If I turn the UFX off or disconnect it, there is no crash.

Can I go anywhere to get you any relevant information that might help?

FireFace UFX III

Here is someones post on Apple's developer forums that seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing:

Well I just updated to Sonoma on my MBP M1 Max and I still have the audio glitch with my RME UFX III via usb while listening to music through Apple Music. I’ll get the audio garble glitch randomly where playback kind of stutters and distorts. I reinstalled my UA Apollo x6 which connects via thunderbolt and no issues using it instead.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thre … 23?page=24

FireFace UFX III

That's interesting.
Who knows what applications are running on his computer in the background.
And it is one report in a worldwide forum where people post problems.
All the thousands of users with no problem, they post nothing, so the number of postings to that particular issue is very low...

23 (edited by Notherman 2023-10-10 13:20:17)

Troubleshooting update:

I disconnected every single other USB device from my computer and only had the UFX III connected, with a direct cable from the box. Glitches occurred.

I changed the UFX III to the UFX+. Same behaviour.

I then thought that I might just as well try using Thunderbolt. A pretty expensive experiment of about 100€ to get the correct cable and the adapter. Once I had them, I connected the UFX+ with TB to my laptop, and while everything seemed to connect correctly and the output meters were showing output in TotalMix, absolutely no analog signal is coming out of the unit. Switching the cable back to USB, and now there is analog signal. With Thunderbolt there was digital output signal, as my tc electronic meter was showing stuff. But nothing analog.

I'm now in the process of downloading Monterey. Damn this. At least the glitches were way less seldom on Monterey.

FireFace UFX III

Are you aware that changing to Thunderbolt is not only a different driver package, but also needs the whole rights/allowance dance of Apple once again? And did you try the Kernel or the DriverKit driver? Are you aware that the DriverKit driver for UFX+ needs the latest firmware version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

25 (edited by Notherman 2023-10-12 18:35:39)

Yes, yes and yes. I tried all the possible combinations, but ultimately nothing has helped with getting current out of the analogue outs of the UFX+ when using Thunderbolt. Also, there is no input signal when on Thunderbolt: when I stick my guitar direct into the UFX, there is no meter movement on neither TotalMix or the unit itself. Changing to USB cures this, but alas, glitches occur. I'm on the Kernel driver version of Thunderbolt (v1.23) and the latest firmware v165. The DriverKit driver made no change.

What I've done to get audio out of the UFX+ is to use my MADI AD/DA unit for this, as we know that digital signal was coming out anyway. I now have sound, and there have been no glitches since. If I switch back to USB, a glitch will occur sooner or later. This is still on Sonoma, by the way. So Thunderbolt and my UFX+ seems to be the answer somewhat, but it's very peculiar that there is no analogue in or out with Thunderbolt, and that it suddenly appears when switching to USB

EDIT: Might I also add, that the Thunderbolt connection has enabled my ability to use the UFX+ in Zoom again, as per to the USB connection which crashed Zoom whenever the Audio settings were opened.

FireFace UFX III

26 (edited by diter 2023-10-13 09:49:30)

Ich habe auch Problem kurze Tonverzerrungen nur letzte Zeit mit Ventura. Nicht immer ein mal pro woche das ist noch nie passiert mit Monterey!!! Baby Face Pro, m1 Mac Pro 14!

Notherman wrote:

Yes, yes and yes. I tried all the possible combinations, but ultimately nothing has helped with getting current out of the analogue outs of the UFX+ when using Thunderbolt. Also, there is no input signal when on Thunderbolt: when I stick my guitar direct into the UFX, there is no meter movement on neither TotalMix or the unit itself. Changing to USB cures this

Email sent.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there an update for the 3.28B Kernel driver that addresses sleep/wakeup issues under the latest Ventura 13.6 also?
My UFX III has to either be power cycled or computer rebooted to have it wake up now.
I can't upgrade to Sonoma until my DAW & plugins have been updated to support.
Thanks!

Apple Mac Studio Max 64gb RAM, Ventura, RME UFX III, 12Mic, Pulse 16 MX, Studio One 6

After lots of trouble with Ventura 13.6 (dropouts crackle...) I wiped the HD, reinstalled and updated to Sonoma. I installed above mentioned 4.09, but 4.08 is installed?

At least the UFX III works throug USB-C, iMacPro1,1 and the Apple HDMI,USB-adapter. Connected to USB I still get lots of CRC.

Anway, how do  I install 4.09? Thanks in advance, D

Downloading the driver from the first post link unpacks as 'Fireface USB DK 409.pkg'. Installing it the Serttings dialog should show 4.09. Where do you see 4.08?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So I did, Fireface USB DK 409, installed and Fireface USB Settings app shows 4.08 in to top right corner (firmware v20).
14.1.0, iMacPro 1,1
I tried to add a screenshot but that did not work for now...
Thanks

I deleted the app and reinstalled... Now it shows 4.09 - uff!
Cheers

4.09 is now officially on our website for download, with two changes: included TotalMix FX is 1.86, and the installer has been modified to make installation much easier and quicker. See included readme. Link is the same as in first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there a link for the release of Total Mix FX 1.86 which I could install separately, to use with the Thunderbolt driver for UFX+? (currently still using the kernel extension, in case that matters). Or will that driver be updated as well?

Windows: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_win_186.zip

Mac: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_186.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks!

37 (edited by ztmarcos 2023-11-28 23:36:03)

Hi! I´m trying to install my UCX on Sonoma using the latest driver and following the M1 guide but still not being recognized. Any solution i´m missing? I also updated totalmix. thank you!

is the ucx on the newest firmware?

it works now, thanks so much