1 (edited by tomrobinsontv 2023-10-06 14:33:03)

Topic: RayDAY Totalmix No Audio from Main out - Unable to launch Hammerfall.

Can someone please advise me? I'm struggling get Audio from my RAYDAT card.
In using windows 10
In my Windows 10 sound playback settings I have selected ADAT (1+2) 2- RME HDSPe RayDAT as the default device.
I open Total mix - Straight playback with all to Main Mix.
I can see sound levels in the ADAT 1/2 channel.
I can see sound levels in the SPIF Channel.
I can see sound levels in the Main Channel in the Control room.

I have the RME Digital Breakout Cable, AES/EBU & SPDIF (BO968) - RME-BO968 Plugged in the the Card at the back of my computer. I have connected the RCA cables to my Amplifier and speakers. (this connection has been tested with another sound source and is working)

I have tried assigning the main channel to ADAT 1/2, SPDIF, and AES but I get no sound.

I have installed: driver_hdsp_win_446
and pcie_fut.exe and updated and rebooted.

I can't access Hammerfall Window. I can't find or search for it.
I'm not sure if I have all the TotalMix FX and Settings dialog icons in the notification area. It is not hidden behind the triangle. There's one that opens TotalMix - No Hammerfall - How do I open this???

My thought is that some how I need to Configure the sound with Hammerfall and get it to go out the RME-BO968 cable.

The Manual says that:

SPDIF Out - The SPDIF output signal is constantly available at the phono plug.

So I should assign the Main out to the SPDIF - I get no sound.

Any thought and suggestions?

Many thanks,

Tom

2 (edited by tomrobinsontv 2023-10-06 14:49:54)

Re: RayDAY Totalmix No Audio from Main out - Unable to launch Hammerfall.

Update - Using Reaper - REAPER Preferences -Audio Device settings - Audio system - ASIO - ASIO Hammerfall DSP.
I clicked the ASIO Configuration button and it opened Hammerfall.
Now the Hammer Icon appears in the task bar menu with the Total Mix Icon.

Tried every variable - Still no sound???

Is it possible to get audio out of the RCA cables on the  RME-BO968 cable plugged in to the back of a RayDAT?

3 (edited by ramses 2023-10-06 14:52:36)

Lets please start with the physical cabling and which protocols you intend to run over it.

1. Which amplifier is this?
2. Which digital input are you using at the amp, protocol / plug?
    - coaxial SPDIF / Cinch or
    - optical SPDIF / TOSLINK or
    - AES / XLR ?
3. Which digital output are you using at the RayDAT?
    - ADAT1 - ADAT4 (ADAT protocol)
    - ADAT4 (configurable for optical SPDIF)
    - coaxial SPDIF (via breakout cable, if I remember right)
    - AES (via breakout cable, if I remember right)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,
Thanks for coming back to me.
The Speakers are desktop computer monitors with their own build in amp. The input for this is a mini jack cable.
I have this connected to a female mini jack to RCA cable. (this connection and cable have been tested and work with other devices.)
The RCA male ends then connect into RCA cables on the RME-BO968 cable plugged in to the back of a RayDAT.

Wait a minute... are you saying that the XLR's and the RCA's on the RME-BO968 cable are digital?

5 (edited by ramses 2023-10-06 16:14:08)

Yes, the RayDAT is a pure digital card (see webpage and manual, you see no analog port there).

You need a D/A converter or active monitors with a digital input, AES or optical (or coaxial) SPDIF.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

LOL - Oh my! Thanks Ramses.

7 (edited by ramses 2023-10-06 16:32:16)

May I ask what active monitors or phones you would connect and what is your budget for a D/A converter?

If you would like something excellent quality- and feature-wise I would recommend either
- an ADI-2 DAC FS (€1199) which you could connect e.g. using one of the ADAT ports or
- an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE which you could also connect via AES as one option (€1699)

These converters have some really unique features.
I would recommend reading one of my blog articles as an intro or the manual of these devices.

Here is an overview of the different models and some interesting information with YouTube videos
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

Here is an example of how to integrate the device into your setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Really excellent is also the new remote control ADI-2 Remote, which makes operation easy.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38074

Furthermore, very interesting, this new video about linearizing headphones with the PEQ
https://www.rme-audio.de/linearising-headphones.html

Only to mention it, there is even a new model of the ADI-2 series available with more features, the ADI-2/4 Pro FS (€2299)
Some newer ESS converters and the possibility to connect a mastering chain. You can even connect a turntable to it.
And 5 instead of 4 reference levels so that the feature auto ref level can keep higher SNR and dynamic even over a wider range compared to ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2 Pro FS, which support 4 reference levels.
https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-4-pro-se.html

If your equipment is