Topic: Bit-Test - and treat me like an idiot please.

I cannot get a PASS screen on Bit-test.

Either its working correctly and it just fails, or i'm doing something wrong.

Windows 11 - RME ADI 2 FS DAC ( current FW and drivers )

Have used Windows Media Player, Foobar2000 and another random free DAW to playback the .wav test files.

I've tried USB connection to RME

I've tried SPDIF Coax ( USB C > SMSL p100 Pro > Co-AX ) to RME

I've made sure Windows has 'enhancements' ( sound ) off and volumes are set at 100%

I've tried my phone via USB C > SPDIF Co-ax ( as above )

All result in no pass screen.

IF i have read the manual correctly, i simply just play the .wav files to the connected RME and thats it, thats the test done.

Have i missed something obvious ?

And feel free to explain in idiot terms, i'm no expert big_smile

Re: Bit-Test - and treat me like an idiot please.

You need to have the program you are using to play the files in " Exclusive" mode or using "ASIO". I too was frustrated when I was doing exactly the same thing you are doing now. I use Amazon Music application on Windows 11 Pro and JRiver Media center. When I use Amazon Musics application you need to set the DAC Sample rate to the same as the WAVE file in "Exclusive" mode. And in Jriver the program will select the correct sample through ASIO

And volume settings of the application (if it has volume settings) set to 100%.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Brizzles 2023-10-24 17:59:06)

Thank you very much brookgall - Worked 1st time using Amazon Music/Exclusive mode.

I spent hours trying different settings, USB ports, cables etc. and it was that simple.

You've made my day - thanks again

foobar 2000 should work too, simple. Use the USB connection. The ADI-2 FS DAC must be running. You wrote

...  ( current FW and drivers )  ...

so I assume that you have installed the MADIface driver from RME. In the foobar 2000 toolbar (up) there should be the Output Switcher. If not, right click on the toolbar and click then on Output Switcher, it will get a hook. Select [ASIO: ASIO MADIface USB].

Next step: Set Volume in foobar 2000 to 0.00 dB. The Volume Control in the taskbar has no scale, neither db nor %. The right position would be the controller at the right stop. You can read the setting at the right corner of the Status bar (down), there should be an small speaker icon, the number and dB. If not, right click on the Status bar, then click on Show volume, it will get a hook. If the Volume Control is correct, it will show 0.00 dB.

I assume you know how to add local files to a foobar playlist. Do this with the *_adi2pro_bittest 4s.wav files. To get more time to look at the ADI-2 display, go to the foobar 2000 menu: [Playback], [Order] and select [Repeat (track)], it will get the bullet.

Then play any test file you want. After the testing, don't forget to set [Playback], [Order] back to [Default].

One thing i did: to avoid an accidentally wrong setting of the Volume Control i switched it off by right click on the Toolbar and removing the hook. To change the volume in foobar 2000, left click on the speaker icon in the status bar and a temporary volume control and a mute button will appear in the corner. I like foobar 2000.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)