1 (edited by PLK 2023-06-16 18:37:48)

Topic: Can't find an RME interface that's in between others/fits what I want.

The UFX iii has the FS and other upgrades, but is WAY more than I need I/O-wise (I will 100% never need or want MADI, for example). 12 analog in/out is exactly what I want. The upcoming 802 FS is exactly what I need I/O-wise and has FS and other upgrades but doesn't have an onboard screen/metering, which I really want and am used to with my current interface. The UFX ii is great I/O-wise and you can make it so it only shows eight analog ins and outs on the screen but doesn't have FS and the other upgrades. FS is important to me in a couple of ways, so I do want that upgrade.

Not sure what do to! The price difference between a UFX iii and the upcoming 802 FS is huge, plus I would lose the screen with the FS, which is a weird omission by RME in my opinion. Would like to hear opinions from RME users. Is there a UFX ii FS planned?

2 (edited by ramses 2023-06-16 18:51:29)

Re: Can't find an RME interface that's in between others/fits what I want.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 19#p203719

> I would lose the screen with the FS, which is a weird omission by RME in my opinion

I guess it makes the unit less expensive so that it could be placed easier between "UCX"- and "UFX"- style of devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by NL440 2023-06-16 19:18:32)

PLK wrote:

The UFX iii has the FS and other upgrades, but is WAY more than I need I/O-wise (I will 100% never need or want MADI, for example). 12 analog in/out is exactly what I want. The upcoming 802 FS is exactly what I need I/O-wise and has FS and other upgrades but doesn't have an onboard screen/metering, which I really want and am used to with my current interface. The UFX ii is great I/O-wise and you can make it so it only shows eight analog ins and outs on the screen but doesn't have FS and the other upgrades. FS is important to me in a couple of ways, so I do want that upgrade.

Not sure what do to! The price difference between a UFX iii and the upcoming 802 FS is huge, plus I would lose the screen with the FS, which is a weird omission by RME in my opinion. Would like to hear opinions from RME users. Is there a UFX ii FS planned?

I don't know what to suggest, was in the same boat. I had to spend more money and get the UFX III because it was the only option. An upgraded UFX II would have been perfect -- I know a large amount of people don't need MADI.

Oh also with the 802 FS you lose the digitally controlled mic pre-amps, if that matters to you.

I was in exactly the same boat about 5 years ago and eventually had to buy the UFX+, despite it being massive overkill for my needs. Whilst the considerable expense was incredibly difficult to justify, at least I have a top-shelf product with plenty of expansion options if I ever need it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people find themselves in the same situation you are in and ultimately just need to make a decision as to expense vs desired features. It’s a real pain in the a$$ but it is what it is.

PLK wrote:

The current UFX II has SteadyClock FS, for some time alreday. It's just not (yet) mentioned anywhere. Can be identified by the firmware version, Hw Rev 7 (currently USB 203 DSP 14 CC 205).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by NL440 2023-06-18 18:04:04)

MC wrote:
PLK wrote:

The current UFX II has SteadyClock FS, for some time alreday. It's just not (yet) mentioned anywhere. Can be identified by the firmware version, Hw Rev 7 (currently USB 203 DSP 14 CC 205).

Really! I could have saved a lot of money and bought the UFX II, but it's not advertised as having SteadyClock FS. Why is it not advertised? I bought the UFX III because I wanted the best clock I could get -- I will never use any of the extra I/O. Are there any other significant advantages with UFX III, aside from the extra I/O which I don't need, that's worth $500 more? That's a lot of extra money I spent.

MC wrote:

Is there any advantage with USB 3 on the UFX iii vs. USB 2 on the UFX ii?

PLK wrote:
MC wrote:

Is there any advantage with USB 3 on the UFX iii vs. USB 2 on the UFX ii?

Besides USB3 and MADI there are some differences between UFX III and UFX II, see the list in my posting here or in the mentioned Excel:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 70#p202170

Through MADI you can also connect Mixing consoles which sometimes offer MADI I/O, I saw a nice one from Tascam last week.

You can also use unused MADI ports for loopback purposes instead of using the analog and digital ones (ADAT, AES) that might already be used for other purposes. The same do I, I am using unused MADI ports starting from MADI ch 63/64 down ..

Should you need to expand and record in higher quality in the future, then 2x ADAT I/O is quickly too few.
Either you have one or two ADAT ports already in use for other things or you get e.g. a 12Mic, then 8 channels would be too low to transport the 12 channels of this mic preamp.

To sum up, you have more options, a better analog section and by this much better sustainability after purchase of the UFX III. Then your recording interface will serve you well much longer without having to sell and to buy a new one where you always have a little loss in terms of money.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by NL440 2023-06-18 22:57:26)

ramses wrote:

Besides USB3 and MADI there are some differences between UFX III and UFX II, see the list in my posting here or in the mentioned Excel:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 70#p202170

Through MADI you can also connect Mixing consoles which sometimes offer MADI I/O, I saw a nice one from Tascam last week.

You can also use unused MADI ports for loopback purposes instead of using the analog and digital ones (ADAT, AES) that might already be used for other purposes. The same do I, I am using unused MADI ports starting from MADI ch 63/64 down ..

Should you need to expand and record in higher quality in the future, then 2x ADAT I/O is quickly too few.
Either you have one or two ADAT ports already in use for other things or you get e.g. a 12Mic, then 8 channels would be too low to transport the 12 channels of this mic preamp.

To sum up, you have more options, a better analog section and by this much better sustainability after purchase of the UFX III. Then your recording interface will serve you well much longer without having to sell and to buy a new one where you always have a little loss in terms of money.

I'm also curious like @PLK about the benefit of USB3 vs USB2, especially for someone like me who has a low track count going in and out of the UFX III. My needs are a max of 12 analog in at once (but rarely more than only 1 or 2), 8 analog out at once (but usually only 2), and always AES out.

For me personally, I will never need to use the MADI section.

As far as the better analog section, from your Excel sheet (great work, by the way!) it looks like the differences are minimal, but I could be wrong. Can you elaborate on why the analog section is noticeably better on the UFX III? I'm not being short, I'm genuinely curious!

11 (edited by ramses 2023-06-18 18:30:08)

You can connect it via USB2 if you like, then you make it to a 30ch interface.
MADI can still be routed then across the digital crossbar on the interface, but not over USB2.

Another positive side effect, USB2 cables can be 2 m longer compared to USB3 cables (3 m) -> 5 m. It might also decrease the load on your PC, but only a little. Because then only 30 instead of 94 channels (IN and OUT) have to be transferred instantly between UFX III and your PC.

Data transfer over USB3 is a little more efficient because data is being transferred full duplex instead of half-duplex. But this doesn't have any impact on RTL (round trip latency) or latency at all.

The analog section became slightly better from a technical data perspective.
Simply compare the values. Better SNR, THD, THD+N, faster converters.

As I wrote, the device now has the converters which have been used in the ADI-2 Pro FS reference converter. But this doesn't necessarily mean that the sound is audible better or "night and day" differences. Somebody would have to test it blind or double-blind whether it's possible at all to distinguish the devices according to the sound.
It's simply nice that the device got such good converters.

12 (edited by NL440 2023-06-18 23:01:05)

ramses wrote:

You can connect it via USB2 if you like, then you make it to a 30ch interface.
MADI can still be routed then across the digital crossbar on the interface, but not over USB2.

Another positive side effect, USB2 cables can be 2 m longer compared to USB3 cables (3 m) -> 5 m. It might also decrease the load on your PC, but only a little. Because then only 30 instead of 94 channels (IN and OUT) have to be transferred instantly between UFX III and your PC.

Data transfer over USB3 is a little more efficient because data is being transferred full duplex instead of half-duplex. But this doesn't have any impact on RTL (round trip latency) or latency at all.

The analog section became slightly better from a technical data perspective.
Simply compare the values. Better SNR, THD, THD+N, faster converters.

As I wrote, the device now has the converters which have been used in the ADI-2 Pro FS reference converter. But this doesn't necessarily mean that the sound is audible better or "night and day" differences. Somebody would have to test it blind or double-blind whether it's possible at all to distinguish the devices according to the sound.

Thank you for the detailed response Ramses. I highly doubt I would personally hear the difference between the A/D of the two devices since they both have excellent converters. I'm going AES out directly into my mains, so the D/A doesn't matter there (I'm using analog for my subs, but I feel there would be no audible difference there at all). In my head it's nice to have the best converters, but in real life I'm not so sure. The I/O expandability of UFX III is cool, though it's 95% will never use it.

Hmmmmm. Not sure whether I'll keep the new UFX III or exchange it for a UFX II. I do know that they should advertise that the UFX II has SteadyClock FS so that we can make a fully educated choice when buying.

13 (edited by PLK 2023-06-19 07:15:16)

ramses wrote:

Thats the hard part of all this! The upgraded clock should help on the UFX ii. The noise and distortion improvements on the UFX iii are very slight but could be worth it to some people in certain environments (like multiple I/O  at once or a mastering house). But to me the actual SONIC difference would be the important part. I can't double-blind test so I guess I'd like to know if the UFX ii converters are at a high quality level so that I could be totally confident buying that and knowing I still have some of the very best sound I can get (in RME's case it would be the most natural and uncolored sound) and that I wouldn't keep thinking "if only I had scrounged up that extra 500 bucks" for something that I possibly wouldn't even notice in a double-blind test. I do have pretty good sensitive ears I feel, but don't work in such a critical listening environment as a mastering studio.

14 (edited by ramses 2023-06-19 16:20:53)

RME products have no special sound or house sound. Differences between converters are minimal, a bigger influence has possibly the analog stage behind it, which brings the whole thing to line level.

The measured values of all newer RME products are on a very high level, and RME is also one of the few companies that communicates such measured values to the customer. If there are any subtle differences in sound, then this may be a very subjective matter.

If you attach such importance to it, then you should, in my opinion, also test with your ears in your environment, considering best practices, to be able to exclude psychoacoustic phenomena.

You now say (if I understood correctly) that you do not have the requirements and premises of a professional mastering studio, then I think that you would have no disadvantage with any of the mentioned RME products. No matter if UFX II or UFX III.

All the discussions about whether FS-clock makes an audible difference already happened years ago regarding ADI-2 Pro vs ADI-2 Pro FS. The consensus in the forum was that there would be measurable, but not audible differences.

So, it is unclear to me, why you have any fears getting possibly the wrong product for your demands. I would get either UFX III or UFX II in terms of current or future interface / port needs.

If you think that you require the latest converters with best specs and richest options for any kind of fine-tuning,
then I propose the integration of an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or even ADI 2/4 Pro SE via ADAT or AES into your setup.
These units give you the possibility to select D/A filters according to your taste or demand and on top of that
give you a lot of additional and useful options.
Some examples:
- 4 different reference levels, auto ref level keeps dynamics and SNR high over a wider volume range
- with the "bit test" you can check whether your audio chain works lossless

The ADI-2 * series of reference converters are designed in a way that they remove any jitter from audio arriving at any digital input. Then it refreshes the clock signal and uses its FS clock for the final D/A conversion.

So maybe the solution for you is to integrate an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or ADI-2/4 Pro SE into your environment, no matter whether this is an UFX II or UFX III.

The following of my blog articles might be of interest to you:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

15 (edited by NL440 2023-06-19 18:11:33)

MC wrote:

If buying a new UFX II now, how can I be sure that it has SteadyClock FS? Is it shown on the outside packaging? It's highly important for me to have that since I'm driving my main monitors with AES from the UFX II and want the best clock I can get for critical monitoring, which is why I decided to spend the extra money on the UFX III even though I don't need its extra features.

16 (edited by ramses 2023-06-19 20:16:05)

Just wanted to let you know, a new blog article about the differences between UFX+ and UFX III:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … iii-en-de/

NL440 wrote:
MC wrote:

If buying a new UFX II now, how can I be sure that it has SteadyClock FS? Is it shown on the outside packaging? It's highly important for me to have that since I'm driving my main monitors with AES from the UFX II and want the best clock I can get for critical monitoring, which is why I decided to spend the extra money on the UFX III even though I don't need its extra features.

If you use the ufx in clock master mode, FS has no effect at all. It only does something in slave mode. If you drive your monitors from the ufx with AES, the jitter in your monitors is 100% dependent on the clocking quality of the monitors, iow they would need and probably have some form of steadyclock fs

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

18 (edited by ramses 2023-06-20 08:26:06)

Hi vinark.

Not 100% sure, but don't we elaborate on clock distribution (not about SteadyClock)?

I might be wrong, but my understanding is, that the FS in "SteadyClock FS" indicates that this unit has a Femto Second quartz / clock. So if the UFX II or UFX III have FS clock and are clock master, I would assume that they send out clock information with the accuracy of the FS clock. Or do I have a wrong understanding here?

In NL's setup, he uses the recording interface as clock master and his monitors are clock slave.

I think such monitors do not have something comparable to RME's SteadyClock tech and fully depend on the quality of the clock of the clock master in such a setup.

Or did I understand you or told something wrong?

vinark wrote:
NL440 wrote:
MC wrote:

If you use the ufx in clock master mode, FS has no effect at all. It only does something in slave mode. If you drive your monitors from the ufx with AES, the jitter in your monitors is 100% dependent on the clocking quality of the monitors, iow they would need and probably have some form of steadyclock fs

But yes, Steadyclock (FS or not) has an effect in every case! An audio interface equipped with Steadyclock can 'clean up' a poor clock signal from another device when it’s the slave and deliver a high quality, almost jitter free clock when it’s the master. I recommend you to read this:
https://www.rme-audio.de/steadyclock-fs.html

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

NL440 wrote:
MC wrote:

If buying a new UFX II now, how can I be sure that it has SteadyClock FS?

You can't, and that's why we don't advertise it (nor any other change).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by NL440 2023-06-20 17:48:27)

MC wrote:
NL440 wrote:

If buying a new UFX II now, how can I be sure that it has SteadyClock FS?

You can't, and that's why we don't advertise it (nor any other change).

Gotcha, that makes sense. This morning someone else from RME told me that if they're shipped from RME after late March they will all have the SteadyClock FS, so I ordered one after checking with the distributor.

22 (edited by Sky 2023-11-08 20:14:47)

ramses wrote:

RME products have no special sound or house sound. Differences between converters are minimal, a bigger influence has possibly the analog stage behind it, which brings the whole thing to line level.

The measured values of all newer RME products are on a very high level, and RME is also one of the few companies that communicates such measured values to the customer. If there are any subtle differences in sound, then this may be a very subjective matter.

If you attach such importance to it, then you should, in my opinion, also test with your ears in your environment, considering best practices, to be able to exclude psychoacoustic phenomena.

You now say (if I understood correctly) that you do not have the requirements and premises of a professional mastering studio, then I think that you would have no disadvantage with any of the mentioned RME products. No matter if UFX II or UFX III.

All the discussions about whether FS-clock makes an audible difference already happened years ago regarding ADI-2 Pro vs ADI-2 Pro FS. The consensus in the forum was that there would be measurable, but not audible differences.

So, it is unclear to me, why you have any fears getting possibly the wrong product for your demands. I would get either UFX III or UFX II in terms of current or future interface / port needs.

If you think that you require the latest converters with best specs and richest options for any kind of fine-tuning,
then I propose the integration of an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or even ADI 2/4 Pro SE via ADAT or AES into your setup.
These units give you the possibility to select D/A filters according to your taste or demand and on top of that
give you a lot of additional and useful options.
Some examples:
- 4 different reference levels, auto ref level keeps dynamics and SNR high over a wider volume range
- with the "bit test" you can check whether your audio chain works lossless

The ADI-2 * series of reference converters are designed in a way that they remove any jitter from audio arriving at any digital input. Then it refreshes the clock signal and uses its FS clock for the final D/A conversion.

So maybe the solution for you is to integrate an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or ADI-2/4 Pro SE into your environment, no matter whether this is an UFX II or UFX III.

The following of my blog articles might be of interest to you:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

Ramses I greatly appreciate your detailed information about these two interfaces. Reviving an old thread, I'm in a similar position as NL440. My interest in FS has been that my Yamaha Montage can be only a clock master and I want to connect digitally via its USB audio interface. I've been assuming that the FS clock will compensate better for this unsync'd keyboard. If I decide on UFX II I'll check firmware to ensure FS is in there.

Another interest is using MADI for loopback, to bridge between two DAWS plus standalone apps used for live streaming. It would be nice to run the UFX III as a USB2 device and have all the extra paths available for loopback, but I can probably achieve similar with UFX II as my I/O needs are fairly small.

Probably the biggest question for me is having absolutely lowest latency for performing virtual instruments. Your table shows UFX II convertor latency as 12/7, and all the others I've considered (UFX III, UCX II, 802FS) as 5/6. Is this still accurate? Why is UFX II uniquely different from the others? I recall reading that RME briefly switched to non-AKM convertors after the factory fire but returned to AKM in the new UFX III. Do you know if the newest UFX II is using AKM, and if so, the same model numbers as UFX III?

While I like the thought of buying shiny new 2023 vs 2017 technology, it's becoming clear to me that under the hood UFX II should not be considered a 2017 device.

Thanks again for your insights,
Sky

Sky wrote:

Probably the biggest question for me is having absolutely lowest latency for performing virtual instruments. Your table shows UFX II convertor latency as 12/7, and all the others I've considered (UFX III, UCX II, 802FS) as 5/6. Is this still accurate? Why is UFX II uniquely different from the others? I recall reading that RME briefly switched to non-AKM convertors after the factory fire but returned to AKM in the new UFX III. Do you know if the newest UFX II is using AKM, and if so, the same model numbers as UFX III?

Ramses has a hard time to follow all the chaos from AKM fire and chip crisis through our hardware variations, and he is not an RME employee, so please bear with him. Even we get confused sometimes!

The UFX II ships with the same analog board as the UFX III, so as you can read in the new manual 2.0 (and the website updated yesterday) it is 100% identical in tech specs, latency, DC coupled I/Os etc to the UFX III. It even is a FS version, although no such label on the front/name.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

24 (edited by ramses 2023-11-12 11:57:54)

MC wrote:
Sky wrote:

Ramses has a hard time to follow all the chaos from AKM fire and chip crisis through our hardware variations, and he is not an RME employee, so please bear with him. Even we get confused sometimes!

The UFX II ships with the same analog board as the UFX III, so as you can read in the new manual 2.0 (and the website updated yesterday) it is 100% identical in tech specs, latency, DC coupled I/Os etc to the UFX III. It even is a FS version, although no such label on the front/name.

Just uploaded an update, see here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156