Topic: Sample rate mismatch question - connecting RME with Fractal Audio

Hi! I am looking to build a quite complex guitar studio system and have a question on SPDIF/AES connectivity.

So, I have UFX+ as my main audio interface, and I also use ADI-2 PRO FS (via optical channel) and SPL Madison (via MADI) as an expansion. I run it at 96Khz sample rate, which is my main sample rate for working in DAW.

I am looking to buy Fractal Audion Axe-FX III, which only works with 48 Khz. This device has SPDIF and AES/EBU input & output connectors.
I am trying to see if I can connect Axe-FX digitally despite the difference in the sample rates. I recall there were some sample rate conversion capabilities in the RME units, but not sure if they would work fine with this setup, given I also have ADI and Madison hooked up.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-11-20 20:29:38)

Re: Sample rate mismatch question - connecting RME with Fractal Audio

The ADI-2 Pro has an SRC.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by VasilySizov 2023-11-21 01:36:46)

ramses wrote:

The ADI-2 Pro has an SRC.

Thank you, I've just checked the manual. Do I get it right, that essentially it decouples input from output, e.g. Fractal Axe-FX III can send 48Khz signal via SPDIF to ADI-2 Pro FS, then ADI-2 Pro FS outputs 96Khz signal to my UFX+ e.g. via AES?

Is it possible to also simultaneously send the 96Khz signal back via UFX+ output to ADI-2 Pro so it gets converted and outputs via SPDIF to Fractal as 48Khz? Apologize if it is a dumb question, but it's not clear from the manual. My guess is I will need the second ADI-2 unit for such backward parallel conversion.

4 (edited by ramses 2023-11-21 07:35:09)

AFAIR SRC works on both directions. Another use case is to use, e.g., a DAT recorder with fix 48 kHz. Try it out.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

VasilySizov wrote:

Do I get it right, that essentially it decouples input from output, e.g. Fractal Axe-FX III can send 48Khz signal via SPDIF to ADI-2 Pro FS, then ADI-2 Pro FS outputs 96Khz signal to my UFX+ e.g. via AES?

Is it possible to also simultaneously send the 96Khz signal back via UFX+ output to ADI-2 Pro so it gets converted and outputs via SPDIF to Fractal as 48Khz? Apologize if it is a dumb question, but it's not clear from the manual.

It is clear from the manual. This SRC is one way only. The first application will work. The second only when not simultaneously using the first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by VasilySizov 2023-11-21 16:44:14)

MC wrote:
VasilySizov wrote:

Do I get it right, that essentially it decouples input from output, e.g. Fractal Axe-FX III can send 48Khz signal via SPDIF to ADI-2 Pro FS, then ADI-2 Pro FS outputs 96Khz signal to my UFX+ e.g. via AES?

Is it possible to also simultaneously send the 96Khz signal back via UFX+ output to ADI-2 Pro so it gets converted and outputs via SPDIF to Fractal as 48Khz? Apologize if it is a dumb question, but it's not clear from the manual.

It is clear from the manual. This SRC is one way only. The first application will work. The second only when not simultaneously using the first.

Well, the manual clearly describes a one-way use case, without saying anything about the reverse way in parallel unless I grossly overlooked it.
As you can see, ramses also got it incorrect.

Nevertheless, thank you for the explanation. Perhaps I need something like of one the Mutec units in that case, or the second ADI Pro to make it work.

VasilySizov wrote:
MC wrote:
VasilySizov wrote:

As you can see, ramses also got it incorrect.

Sorry, no, because I had no time to look into the manual wink
I only know there is one in, but didn't remember any details because I have currently no use case for it.

ramses wrote:

Sorry, no, because I had no time to look into the manual wink
I only know there is one in, but didn't remember any details because I have currently no use case for it.

Haha no worries, maybe it's just me can't read the manual then :-) Thanks again for all your help, guys.