Topic: Fireface UCX doesn't work with Sonoma 14.1.1

I'm using the 4.09 driver that was posted here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 3#p208363.

My interface shows up in System Information but is not available in my sound settings.

I'm on a 2023 Mac Mini M2.

The interface worked perfectly before the upgrade to Sonoma and nothing else has changed configuration wise.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Re: Fireface UCX doesn't work with Sonoma 14.1.1

The driver was blocked by the Mac OS. You need to re-enable that in System Prefs > Privacy & Security. You may need to reinstall the driver to make that "Allow" button appear again.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the response. I've enabled reduced security from recovery mode and tried re-installing the driver multiple times. I'm not getting anything shown as being disallowed in Privacy & Security and the installation seems to be successful. However I still get no option in sound settings to use the UCX.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-11-20 22:50:12)

In the MacOS system preferences Security&Privacy / Microphone
is Totalmix listed there and enabled ? It should.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi Waedi - no, Totalmix is not listed in Privacy & Security / Microphone.

joethom wrote:

Hi Waedi - no, Totalmix is not listed in Privacy & Security / Microphone.

That's the problem.

When you start Totalmix it should appear or ask you with a popup to allow.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

joethom wrote:

Hi Jeff, thanks for the response. I've enabled reduced security from recovery mode and tried re-installing the driver multiple times. I'm not getting anything shown as being disallowed in Privacy & Security and the installation seems to be successful. However I still get no option in sound settings to use the UCX.

Reduced Security mode is not needed for the v4.xx DriverKit driver version. Since you did that already, maybe it helps to try the driver v3.28b2 which still uses the kernel extension method.

https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_mac_328b2.zip

Install that one, unblock in Privacy & Security and check that it's working. Update the UCX internal firmware with the RME Flash Update Tool. Then you can try the v4.09 driver again (if you want). Installing that driver will uninstall the v3.28b2, and vice versa.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Driver version 3.28b2 seems to have fixed this for me - thanks Jeff! Now I'll get some work done then try v4.09 again later.
Cheers!

aaand that's what seems to happen quite often: instead of getting a definitive confirmation that v4 driver works without stutters or glitches, the old v3 driver appears to work so we don't get a loud and clear "yes" or "no" about the latest driver. tiring.

Fireface UCX, Focusrite OctoPre, Sound Devices MixPre-D, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

I wouldn't be astonished when the UCX here was not updated to firmware 49, to be able to use DriverKit. Poster was unclear about the former working state...

Also this thread is NOT about stutter and glitches.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME