Topic: Adding MADIface MT

Hi, I have a quick question on the setup of MADIface.

Currently, my system is set up as follows:

1. PC, connected to UFX+ via USB 3.0.
2. UFX+, connected to ADI-6432.
3. ADI-6432 connected to converters, such as ADA-8XR, Lynx Aurora (n), Lucid 88192.

Please note that I am not using TotalMix at all. I am controlling all my mixing functions on Cubase.

On my existing system (1,2 and 3), as I want to increase the number of digital & analog channels, I am about to add one unit of MADIface (to be connected to the PC via USB 3.0) and connect it to the new unit of ADI-6432. So, it will be:

4. PC, to be connected to a new unit of MADIface via USB 3.0.
5. MAIface, to be connected to an additional unit (2nd unit) of ADI-6432
6. ADI-6432 (2nd unit) to be connected to the second unit of Lynx Aurora (n) and other digital reverbs.

So my main objective of adding MADIface is obviously to increase the number of digital & analog channels. And I do not use TotalMix at all so, it does not matter to me whether all the channels are controllable through TotalMix or not. And it does not matter to me whether the additionally added channels through MADIface do not show up on Totalmix or not. All I want to do is to increase the number of channels and control all existing channels & the channels that I am about to add through the mixer of Cubase.

Am I right to say that 4,5,6 will all work fine, with the existing driver that I use for 1,2, and 3? (MADI driver)? So, essentially, would every connection be fine if I just connect MADIface XT and PC via USB 3.0?

Your input will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Adding MADIface MT

Ok, I think I am going to summarize my question in just one line.

Q: Can I connect Fireface UFX+ and MADIface XT to PC (Cubase)at the same time & use all the channels?

smile

3 (edited by waedi 2023-12-28 04:36:31)

Depends on the ability of Cubase to select multiple audio devices.
UFX+ and the Madiface XT use the same windows driver, so they can be used at the Windows PC at the same time but they have their own Totalmix, they stay separate as two interfaces.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

4 (edited by ramses 2023-12-28 08:15:01)

fireball23 wrote:

Ok, I think I am going to summarize my question in just one line.

Q: Can I connect Fireface UFX+ and MADIface XT to PC (Cubase)at the same time & use all the channels?

smile

The devices are using the same MADIface ASIO driver, therefore any audio application will be able to access both devices.
Same here with UFX III and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.

You need to clock synch both devices by either using a digital connection or WC. One is as good as the other, I would use a digital connection to avoid WC cabling.

You could add the XT to the MADI bus of UFX+ to get the clock, but it would introduce a few (around 3) samples delay at single speed which is needed to forward audio packets on the MADI bus. Maybe better to use e.g. the AES port or WC.

In the MADIface driver settings, you need to take care, that both devices are using the same ASIO buffer sizes; otherwise you would get an offset by this in your DAW tracks.

As you route in the DAW anyway, you are used to having the full RTL when routing from the inputs to the outputs.
Nevertheless, I would recommend that you use TM FX Full Mode (not DAW mode) so that it would be possible to route an input to an output directly on both interfaces. In TM FX Full Mode, you can achieve the same routing as in DAW mode with the prepared functions in TM FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your valuable input! I really appreciate it!

I needed to confirm if UFX+ and MADI XT can be at the same time, and it seems it is possible to do it so I'll be going ahead with this set up!

As for WC setting, I have not got to that part yet, so I may need to ask some questions on WC set up in due course! Thank you Ramses!

You're welcome.
BTW, the setting in TM FX to mimic DAW mode in Full mode from routing perspective:
Options -> Reset Mix -> Straight Playback

Then you still have the flexibility to perform a faster routing for e.g. the use case of:
- Mic Input -> Phones for vocalist to save the RTL over USB/PCIe and back.
Then the audio flow stays on the interface itself with near-zero latency.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13