Topic: HDSPe MADI FX as main card + UFX III as "external" I/O and AD/DA

Apologize for my ignorance, but i (really) need some infos.

What i know is:
1) the pcie is the fastest and lower latency connection because the "direct injection" of the pcie lane into the CPU
2) the Windows USB sub-system is sometime a little mess
3) to use the zero latency FXs of TotalMixFX one need an RME interface with DSP
4) the HDSPe MADI FX is only the "portal" to the pc, but needs external converters and analog I/O mic and line
5) the UFX III has the perfect combo and number of mics and line I/O plus the DUrec etc... and eventually the standalone mode too.

All that said above (if are correct), my questions are:
a) make sense a system with an HDSPe MADI FX as main card PLUS an UFX III as "external" I/O and AD/DA converter connected to the HDSPe MADI FX via the MADI port?
b) what function of the UFX III i'll lose?
c) there is a more logic combination in the same price range (or less) that respect the same number of analog I/O (both mics and line) and AD/DA function?

I'm an old tart and i want to build maybe my last pc platform for a Cubase daw to record and play and mix without any hassle, so i need some help.
TNX ppl.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-01-02 12:29:25)

Re: HDSPe MADI FX as main card + UFX III as "external" I/O and AD/DA

a yes and see answer c
b Totalmix (of the UFX lll)
c Having MADI, I would connect MADI devices, an 12Mic and an "M-32 / M-16 DA" or M32Pro
Personal recommendation : HDSPe Madi FX + 12Mic + M32Pro

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2024-01-03 21:07:37)

guttalaser wrote:

Apologize for my ignorance, but i (really) need some infos.

This topic has already a history, see older thread here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38099
Meanwhile, he intends getting an UFX III.

I would prefer if you stayed in this thread, so that all useful information is complete and in one thread, thanks.

If you kindly agree, post your new questions there in the old thread and delete the posting here, I will also delete my postings. Thanks again.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@Ramses

The link is by mistake to my post above, please replace, and all the best for 2024

No problem, happy new year to you too, waedi.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

waedi wrote:

a yes and see answer c
b Totalmix (of the UFX lll)
c Having MADI, I would connect MADI devices, an 12Mic and an "M-32 / M-16 DA" or M32Pro
Personal recommendation : HDSPe Madi FX + 12Mic + M32Pro

Hi waedi, thanks for you reply and happy nu year to you.
I'm a bit confused but... ok i know that with the HDSP madi fx i need an analog input hub like the 12Mic and an AD converter like the M32Pro... BUT... as analog outputs and DA conversion?
Tnx

7 (edited by waedi 2024-01-02 21:33:43)

Instead of M32 an M1610 Pro would probably fit better to your demand and it is a newer product.
It has inputs and outputs.
M32 comes in versions AD or DA.

I and I mean I as in my choice, would be to get an ufx3 without a pcie card and see how latency works out in reality on usb. I have both hdsp pci cards and a babyface pro fs and latency wise they are practically identical.
The advantage of PCIe gets smaller when CPUs get faster. In the P4 days sure PCI all the way, but even on a core2quad like the q9550, before the core i7 etc there was already very little gain, which I know cause I still use a q9550 plus a second generation core i7 a 2600k.And on the 2600k usb really flies. But of course that is true for RME's usb drivers, not generic drivers some other, not all, companies use.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

9 (edited by ramses 2024-01-03 21:11:36)

Hi vinark, happy new year to you.

vinark wrote:

I and I mean I as in my choice, would be to get an ufx3 without a pcie card and see how latency works out in reality on usb. [...]

Completely valid and what I told him in his initial thread on this topic, see older thread:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 36#p212436
I continued there because this thread was already a bit longer and contained more information about his setup and demands.

I knew it is not beneficial to have two threads for one thing ...