Topic: Babyface pro FS isn't recognized when using extension cable

I need a longer USB cable from my computer to my Babyface pro FS. I bought an USB-C extension cable from Plexgear that transfers data up to 10 Gbps and supports charging up to 100W. When I connect the cable the Babyface powers up but is not recognized by the computer and the Fireface USB settings-app won't start. The cable is 2m long and I've connected it to the original USB-C cable that came with the babyface so there is 3m cable in total. When I'm connecting only the original cable without the extension cable it's working without problem. I've also tried to change the extension cable to another unit but with the same result. What could be the problem and how do I need to do to get an extension cable to work?

2 (edited by waedi 2024-01-11 10:04:48)

Re: Babyface pro FS isn't recognized when using extension cable

You probably need an active USB repeater, something like this :
https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/cs … --10202195

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Those from Startech run well USB3 and USB2 compatible, see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 71#p210971

A real alternative to corning cables, which are expensive and fragile.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you.

I looked up a USB repeater and it seems that most are 5m or longer. Do you think such long cable can be negative for the stability or du you think it's perfectly fine?

johanibraaten wrote:

Thank you.

I looked up a USB repeater and it seems that most are 5m or longer. Do you think such long cable can be negative for the stability or du you think it's perfectly fine?

Think? Did you read my posting? I am actually using such a solution.
Got this information from this forum and was not disappointed up to now.
Using it for UFX III and also ADI-2 Pro FS R E.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ah, thank you. I couldn't open your link before for some reason so I didn't see to different cable solutions. So I guess I will get me one of those active cables. Thanks again.

So, instead for going with an extension cable I just got a 3m printer cable and it works perfectly. I'll keep the shorter stock cable in my bag for live use as it attaches more securely to the babyface.