Topic: UCX II is only found on reboot, not with hot swapping (mac)

If I unplug my Macbook from my studio hub, use it elsewhere then plug it in, it does not find my UCX II. Each time I do this I have to reboot the laptop. Even if i pull out the only the UCX usb from the hub and re-insert it, it does not show.

Does anyone know what my be causing this? I don't have this issue with my other interfaces like my Motu, Audient etc.

Re: UCX II is only found on reboot, not with hot swapping (mac)

Does this also happen when you connect the UCX II without the hub directly to the Mac? Hubs can cause problems.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Audio AG Support wrote:

Does this also happen when you connect the UCX II without the hub directly to the Mac? Hubs can cause problems.

Even if I plug directly into the Mac the issue is there.

I work in two areas, one has my studio and the UCX II, and my desk has a Motu Ultralite MK5.

If I unplug from my studio and just use the macbook by itself i can hot swap back into the studio.

If I plug into my desk then move back to the studio it would need a reboot.

I never have issues plugging into the Motu.

I am planning on changing the motu for a Babyface or a used ADI-2 in the future, but I can't afford to do that quite yet.

If you have plugged in the UCX 2, and not rebooted, do you see the UCX 2 in the system report under "USB"

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Audio AG Support wrote:

If you have plugged in the UCX 2, and not rebooted, do you see the UCX 2 in the system report under "USB"

Yes it does show the interface under USB.

When I was checking this, one thing I noticed was that if I did it straight away it hot swapped. If however, it was not connected to the UCX, and I put the lid down or left it for sometime so the macbook went to sleep, that's when it happens.

Then Hotplugging does work. It does not work when the PC was on sleep?
This can easily be solved by switching on the UCX2 when the Mac is switched after sleep on or connect the USB when the Mac is switched on.

Are you using the UCX II as an aggregate device?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34471

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Audio AG Support wrote:

Then Hotplugging does work. It does not work when the PC was on sleep?
This can easily be solved by switching on the UCX2 when the Mac is switched after sleep on or connect the USB when the Mac is switched on.

Are you using the UCX II as an aggregate device?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34471

I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the UCXs USB cable as well as powering the device off then on. Neither of these things work.

I do not use it as an aggregate device. The device does show up on the system report, but does not show up in my sound settings.

It looks like the issue was either the Macbook being an M2 or running the latest Mac OS Sonoma, and the way the security startup settings have changed.

I updated the firmware, drivers and also the security startup settings, and it now seems to be working.

How to change the security startup settings can be found below.

https://www.rme-audio.de/rme-macos.html