Topic: How much better is A/D on newer devices than FF400?

Hi all

How much better is A/D on newer devices than FF400?

I'm not so interested in playback or extra features.

The main motivation for updating will be if the recording quality at 48/96/192khz is noticeably better, maybe due to better clocking, which would be more noticable at higher sample rates.

Also is anyone recording with sample rates above 192khz, and if so is it a big win?

Thanks

Re: How much better is A/D on newer devices than FF400?

Anyone previously recorded with a FF400, and then a newer interface and compared to see if the new and old recordings are noticeably different in quality?

TIA

Hi
The improvements are not that noticeable I would say. Don’t forget about the fact, you always have the whole playback chain (D/A converter, analog circuit, headphones amp or monitor speakers with amp, room acoustics…) when listening and comparing your recordings.
I never found a reason to go over 48khz for my needs.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

… I never found a reason to go over 48khz for my needs.

I still think that 44.1 kHz is already a clever concept for digital audio. No matter how hard I listen I must confess I don't hear a difference with higher sample rates.

iMac M1, Fireface 800, Logic Pro X

The slight difference may be in A/D for live purposes. It takes several samples less...

Also, there can be ramifications for processing like compression, that have a time/reactive aspect to them.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Kubrak wrote:

The slight difference may be in A/D for live purposes. It takes several samples less...

But puts more stress on your system ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by gregb 2024-01-04 12:35:56)

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to me that if people can't tell the difference between lower and higher sample rates then there is no chance of them telling the difference between old and new a/d converters?

Personally, I can tell the difference between low and high sample rates when making recordings of acoustic instruments with a lot of high frequency detail such as acoustic guitars and especially things like 12 string acoustics, top end is much more defined with a lot less high-frequency fuzz. Having said that, higher sample rates are arguably academic when the world seems to be streaming music at reasonably low sample rates, but is it worth having high sample rate versions for pressing onto vinyl?

Hmm... I'm still not convinced there is any gain in buying a new device when sampling 44.1 kHz, maybe at the higher sample rates because the newer converters have a flatter response?

Has anyone actually compared old and new recordings at higher sample rates to check if there is a noticeable difference?

9 (edited by ramses 2024-01-04 13:06:20)

If you mean technical data .. well, check the manuals or my comparison Excel.
Of course, you have nowadays much faster converters, etc
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

There are not many people having an ancient and a recent device and then spending time to perform blind tests, which can take a lot of time. They will simply take the newer device.
What's also different: hearing capabilities, rooms, speakers … the whole setup is different to yours. What others can hear is maybe not relevant to you.

If you are so interested in it, well, what hinders you to perform the test yourself? The most important relevance is in that what YOU can hear with YOUR equipment in YOUR room.

There are many people who are not disappointed with any RME device, and if you get the latest ones you also won't be.

One for sure, if you got e.g. an FF UCX II, you would get so many good things and much better features.
It's alone worth for that to go for a newer device.

Mic Preamps with 75 dB gain, DURec, Display where you can operate the device in stand-alone mode, AES port, updated analogue section, more powerful headphone outputs.

And if you invested in an UFX II, then you could also have Room EQ and cross-feed.
UFX II has meanwhile the same analogue section as the UFX III, some except USB3/MADI.

My view on this is the following: I would sell the FF400 as long as there is still interest (and OS support) for a Firewire interface. Then you still get some money for cross financing the purchase of a more recent USB based device.
I would not wait until it either dies (because of age) or nobody is interested in it any more so that you can only throw it into the bin. People with not so much money or with an old PC supporting Firewire will be glad to get a used RME device at a lower cost … so to speak … Win-win … I'd highly recommend upgrading as soon as possible to get the most out of it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the reply.

Was thinking about a RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

Ideally I would prefer a cutdown version that was cheaper.

What I would like is the highest sampling frequency and new converter chips of the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE in a no-frills 4 or 8 analogue ins and outs box.

Hmm... I wonder if RME will make something approaching like that in the near future?

I guess a RME Fireface UCX II but with a higher sampling rate.

I can't perform the test myself unless I buy a new unit.

I don't want to mess retailers around by ordering something and sending it back because it doesn't sound any/much different.

I would rather just get some advice from people that have done the tests already, not hard to imagine someone has replaced an old interface and is still recording using the same instruments, outboard preamps, mic, et cetera, and has played back old tracks versus new tracks and has checked to see if there's any difference.

thanks again

12 (edited by ramses 2024-01-04 15:13:56)

1. You are using TM FX now? You are aware of, that RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE does not have TM FX?

2. There are often questions about sound, and it simply doesn't make sense to pass the issue on to others. You also generally don't know the people and don't know how valid their tests are in terms of background knowledge for testing / methodology.

> I don't want to mess retailers around by ordering something and sending it back because it doesn't sound any/much different.

Sorry but kind of "lame excuse". What if somebody claims to hear a difference which you are not able to reproduce for yourself (assumed you would also do proper blind tests to be not a victim of your expectation). You should perform this yourself to get a valid result for yourself.

And again, the other persons do not have: your room, your active monitors, your hearing capabilities (either better or worse), you don't know their methodology.

It may be a pious wish of yours that someone can tell you this, but it may have no relevance for you at all. You are simply buying something because someone else has claimed something. And you can live with that? Well, yes.

1.   "I'm not so interested in playback or extra features"

"no frills"

.... TM FX? no I just use it as a a/d d/a box.

2. If someone with extensive listening qualifications such as a professional mastering engineer comes on here and tells me something about their experiences then I should pay attention to what they have to say?

Even if I cannot hear the difference for the reasons you state, it is still valid to buy something on the grounds that someone with an optimum listening environment can tell the difference and get a better result especially when very high quality recordings are required to make vinyl pressing?

14 (edited by ramses 2024-01-04 15:44:54)

> professional mastering engineer comes on here and tells me

This is not the typical guy with a FF400, right?

More something like him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHG32aXBDY

Thanks

I have already seen that video.

It does not answer my question.

I found this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4-DKB4yQ50

but he used MOTU

From memory, because I have not looked at that video for a while, it was odd that he did not think the highest sampling frequency gave the best sound.

Thanks

and bye

gregb wrote:

From memory, because I have not looked at that video for a while, it was odd that he did not think the highest sampling frequency gave the best sound.

You do not need the highest sampling frequency to get the best sound.

20 (edited by ramses 2024-01-04 16:38:51)

gregb wrote:

I found this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4-DKB4yQ50

but he used MOTU

If you believe in people who for sure will earn money generating Youtube videos ..

At the end of the day it is irrelevant whether you connect the ADI-2 Pro FS to a RME or MOTU recording interface.
Reasons
1) with Steadyclock FS any RME device is a perfect clock slave
2) main reason, the ADI-2 DAC/Pro series of interfaces use per design the internal FS clock for the final D/A conversion no matter whether they are clock master or clock slave.

Additionally, you can use the Bittest whether you have a lossless audio transport between player and the DSP of the unit shortly before D/A conversion (which happens with the internal FS clock as stated above).

21 (edited by ramses 2024-01-04 16:14:42)

gregb wrote:

Thanks

and bye

This sounds somehow negative.
Sorry for not meeting your expectations.
Wish you luck on your way finding valid answers this way.

I bought a RME ADI-2 FS.

Will arrive next week.

Thanks all.

23 (edited by gregb 2024-02-10 00:46:08)

If anyone is interested, before I bought the RME ADI-2 FS I checked my trusty FF400 would work on my new W11 PC.

Works great. I intend to connect the RME ADI-2 FS via SPDIF.

So I'll have 10 recording inputs with 2 of them being very highend.

Most of the time I only record with one or two mics and via separate mic pres, so the RME ADI-2 FS seems to have hit the nail on the head.

In an ideal world it would have the higher sampling rates of the flagship ADI-2.

Hmm.. cue RME announcing my dream unit in two weeks time.

Anyway, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet... and get on with making music.

GLA

24 (edited by gregb 2024-02-18 01:47:33)

If anyone is interested.

Not had time to try out the A/D, but have had a listen to the D/A.

To my ears, the D/A at 44.1 is significantly better, a good chunk of top end fuzz is replaced with natural detail.

Bodes well for future tests.

Note the ADI-2 FS has better AD/DA specs than the UCX II. I'll bet the UCX II will sound fractionally worse than the ADI-2 FS.

Also, it seems that some people can hear a difference between AKM and ESS converters: SOME people report ESS is slightly more detail in the top end, some see that as a good thing others as a bit too edgy/harsh - I expect it is personal taste rather than one being better than the other, AKM more natural sounding. I have not tested but I always prefer natural over hyped, so I am glad that the ADI-2 FS has AKM converters.

In summary, so far I am delighted with the upgrade, I have added 2 channels of mastering quality recording/playback to my FF400, and I virtually always only record 1 or 2 channels at a time, and I have no need for the extra features of UCX II etc.

25 (edited by vinark 2024-02-18 09:01:54)

Thanks for posting your findings! Interesting stuff and I am curious how the AD differs, maybe you could even do a simultaneous recording on both DA's?
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

That's the plan.

And I'll do them at 44.1k and 192k.

I could use more fancy gear, but I'll use a TLM103 and Eko 12 string, the mild high end bump on the TLM 103 and the edgyness of the Eko should provide a lot of complex top end to record.