Topic: Babyface Pro FS Headphone, pop results in no sound on one side

I am having an issue with my BFP fs where I pick up my Audeze LCD-X headphones and I can hear a pop occur, then there is no sound on one side of the headphone until I power cycle the interface. Monitors play fine, both headphone ports are affected by the issue when it occurs.

This issue does not happen on 4 of my other systems when using this same headphone. Nor does it happen with other headphones on this interface. Tested dt 990 pro 250 ohm, hd 598, HD 25 HD 280 pro and EL-8. I have changed the cable on the LCD-x to check, it's not the cable.
When I play audio Digicheck shows both sides of the headphone are receiving output. The issue has been occurring for over a year.
I have purchased a power supply for the BFP to see if it would mitigate the issue but it has not helped.
I am using the included usb cable. I have tried other usb cables, other usb ports (Directly in to the motherboard), 2 usb hubs.

I have reached out to the RME support team but have not had any success in locating the issue and was referred to my retail location. Local retail location where the unit was purchased from told me that my warranty period has passed and I would need to come into the store and replicate the issue on the showroom floor for them to consider taking a further look into it.
Ps. I dont think request to bring in my pc tower, interface and headphone for a lan party on the showroom floor is a reasonable ask.
As the issue does not happen every time I put the headphone on the table and pick them back up. 

I have not tried using another computer with the interface to replicate the issue.
I have not sent the headphone for servicing or inspection to audeze but no issues when using other devices.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-02-23 10:25:42)

Re: Babyface Pro FS Headphone, pop results in no sound on one side

If you flip left / right the cable at the headphone, is the issue still on the same side ?
Then the headphone is the issue.
If the issue flips the side then the cable or the Babyface or the computer makes the problem.
With Digicheck you already sorted the computer, that narrows down the candidates list.
You didn't tell if always the same side is affected.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi Waedi, thank you for your reply.

You are correct my apologies for not including that detail.
When switching L-R cables on the headphone the issue flips sides.

It most often is the right side of the headphone but I have had it happen to the Left side as well. One time one side stopped working I recorded a video to document the issue about it and then the other side stopped working as well.

Have you asked Audeze?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

And once the issue has happened and you don't power cycle is the issue there with other headphones. If yes we know that the BF goes in a strange state.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hi Vinark, Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have contacted Audeze as well as the local distributor where the headphones were purchasd 10 or so years ago. They both mentioned that its strange and told me to get a new cable and see if the issue persists. As the headphones works on 5 other systems (Phone with 3.5 adapter, 2 separate UAD systems, Resonance labs Concero HP, Msi LT through 3.5mm with adapter).

With not a single occurrence of this issues on the other playback systems over years.

Audeze can not comment further without having the headphone on hand for service/inspection.
Its strange to service a headphone that has problems with only 1 out of 6 systems.

Thank you

Hi Vinark,

Once again thank you the input.
Yes, after the issues occurs it stays until power cycled no matter what headphones are plugged in to the unit.
(Tested dt 990 pro 250 ohm, hd 598, HD 25 HD 280 pro and EL-8 as well as some cheap Iem).
None of these other headphones have caused the BFP to act up as well. But none of those headphones have such low impedance.

I wanted to local retail location to inspect the unit or at least give me instructions on how to measure the impedance of the HP out of the unit when the issue occurs.

Kind regards,
Stan.

Then for sure it is happening in the BF. Maybe @MC could chime in and tell you if that could be a protection kicking in. If yes it could be a short in the audeze driver. If no it could be a defect in the BF that is triggered by the audeze only.
The plop and then silence makes me think of a defective capacitor.
Hope you get it figured out soon!

Vincent, Amsterdam