1 (edited by artburda 2024-03-02 01:19:13)

Topic: Fixed: ADAT channels 3-8 not passed through in Digital Through Mode

I'm trying to get the Adi 2-Pro FS to pass through all 8 adat channels back to the Babyface Pro FS. I put the Adi-2 Pro in "Dig Thru" mode, set CC-Mode to multichannel, Optical Out to ADAT. I tried it by making the Adi-2 Pro the master and also by making the Babyface the master and the other device the slave. No success. I'm playing two tracks from reaper, track 1 is routed to playback AS 1/2 and track 2 is routed to playback ADAT 3/4. In Totalmix I'm sending the software playback channels to the hardware outputs AS 1/2 and ADAT 3/4. The Adi-2 Pro receives the signal and shows the following in the state overview "SP op", "sync", "44.1", "adat", "16", for the clock source it shows "SPDIF" (I also tried it with internal).

However, in the Babyface I only get a signal back from the Adi-2 Pro in hardware input AS 1/2, nothing in ADAT 3/4.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help, Arthur

Re: Fixed: ADAT channels 3-8 not passed through in Digital Through Mode

Page 54 user manual will help you out.
The optical output of your ADI-2 is probably set to SPDIF (only 2 channels are going thru),
You may have to manually switch it to ADAT.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2023-06-20 06:36:53)

Options -> SPDIF / Remap Keys -> Optical Out -> ADAT  | SPDIF

Manual ch 22.3 (p. 50 in the manual for the ADI-2 Pro FS).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Options -> SPDIF / Remap Keys -> Optical Out -> ADAT  | SPDIF

Manual ch 22.3 (p. 50 in the manual for the ADI-2 Pro FS).

Thx, but I did that already.

Please provide a screenshot of the USB Settings Dialog.
ALso, what's the purpose of this connection?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Please provide a screenshot of the USB Settings Dialog.
ALso, what's the purpose of this connection?

I'll send you a screenshot of the fireface usb settings when I'm back home.

The purpose is the following: when using the babyface pro I'm looping back four adat channels back to the toslink input to be able to combine the 3 band PEQ from the digital output, digital input and analog output, which gives me a 9 band PEQ. It works flawlessly with the babyface alone. I described it in detail over on ASR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … st-1629493

Now, I wanted to go one step further and loopback the digital signal out of the Babyface through the Adi-2 Pro, so that I can use two additional headphones with the Adi-2 Pro by leaving the AS 1/2 output untouched. And use the ADAT 3/4 and ADAT 5/6 loopback through the Adi-2 Pro to still get 9 bands PEQ per stereo pair with the babyface.

So far I couldn't find out why it doesn't work. If I understand the digital through mode correctly it should work.

here is the screenshot https://ibb.co/R69X2vx

From the manual:

The purpose of the Digital Through Monitor is exactly what its name describes. A single digital
input signal is passed through the unit and can be monitored on the analog outputs at the same
time. Automatic clock and source selection of the digital inputs plus internal D to D routing allows to insert and monitor AES, SPDIF or ADAT signals. With ADAT only channels 1/2 are monitored, but all 8 channels are passed through.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

From the manual:

The purpose of the Digital Through Monitor is exactly what its name describes. A single digital
input signal is passed through the unit and can be monitored on the analog outputs at the same
time. Automatic clock and source selection of the digital inputs plus internal D to D routing allows to insert and monitor AES, SPDIF or ADAT signals. With ADAT only channels 1/2 are monitored, but all 8 channels are passed through.

It says all 8 channels are passed through. As I explained I only get channels 1 and 2 to pass through.

10 (edited by artburda 2023-06-21 13:21:55)

Wie bereits erwähnt habe ich den digitalen Output vom Adi-2 Pro auf ADAT und den Betriebsmodus auf Dig Through gestellt. Wenn ich mit dem Babyface einen physischen Loopback mit Toslink-Kabel über den digitalen Aus- und Eingang mache, erhalte ich alle 8 ADAT Kanäle wieder als digitale Inputs zurück. Wenn ich aber den Adi-2 Pro dazwischenschalte, dann gehen nur die ersten 2 Kanäle durch, 3-8 wird nicht an das Babyface zurück geloopt.

Was wird wo/wie genau "dazwischengeschaltet"? Woher kommen denn 8 Kanäle, bzw. deren Audiosignal? Was genau zeigt Totalmix an?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

12 (edited by artburda 2023-06-21 15:50:32)

RME Support wrote:

Was wird wo/wie genau "dazwischengeschaltet"? Woher kommen denn 8 Kanäle, bzw. deren Audiosignal? Was genau zeigt Totalmix an?

Hier ein Beispiel mit 4 Kanälen. In Totalmix sende ich z.B. den Playback Channel AN1/2 an die digitalen Ausgänge AS1/2 und ADAT3/4. Wenn ich nun mit einem Toslink Kabel die Signale aus dem Babyface wieder zurück ins Babyface loope, dann sehe ich in Totalmix bei den digitalen Eingängen AS1/2 und ADAT3/4 jeweils das gleiche Eingangssignal, welches ich jetzt an die analogen Ausgänge routen kann. Das funktioniert tip top. Wenn ich jetzt aber den Adi-2 Pro dazwischenschalte, d.h. Babyface Toslink Out -> Adi-2 Pro Toslink In (Dig Thru, optical=ADAT) -> Babyface Toslink In, dann erhalte ich nur ein Signal im Eingang AS1/2, aber nicht mehr in ADAT3/4. Aber gemäss Benützerhandbuch müsste ja der Adi-2 Pro im ADAT Modus mehr als 2 Kanäle weiterleiten können, wenn er auf Dig Thru eingestellt wird.

Das funktioniert tatsächlich nicht. Hat es aber vermutlich irgendwann, sonst würde es nicht im Handbuch stehen. Wir schauen mal ob man das zurückbringen kann.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Super, besten Dank.

Es funktioniert nun mit der neuen Firmware für den ADI-2 Pro: USB=267, DSP=126

Gerade woillte ich es posten wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME