Topic: ADI-2 Remote V 2.0 – we can't stop!

ADI-2 Series Remote for Mac, iPad and Windows, v 2.0

Prologue
In June 2023 RME surprised everyone by releasing the ADI-2 Series Remote for Windows, macOS and iOS, with the updated release 1.3 then available in September.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38074

Version 1.3 already supported ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 Pro (all versions) and ADI-2/4 Pro SE. Customer feedback was outstanding and extremely positive. This encouraged us to make the app even better. Here comes ADI-2 Remote v 2.0, and if you were blown away by version 1.3 then take a deep breath – it's getting exciting again!

Important
All ADI-2 units need a firmware update to support all new functions correctly.  See below, section System Requirements.

New in version 2.0 (Part 1)
With version 1.3 there were situations where the app and the unit did not act in total sync. Simply because the very complicated operation rules inside the unit can not be easily replicated by sending a few remote commands. It takes additional, detailed status feedback plus knowledge on how the unit acts in various situations to let the app mirror the unit in all and every way. That’s exactly what we achieved in version 2.0, and one reason for another firmware update, as we had to add lots of status information that the app can request and read.

While this had been weeks of work some might not even notice it. For those we added a bunch of easy to notice goodies:

- The current sample rate was added to the window title

- The current input is shown in Auto mode below the Source button

- DC in signal is shown beside the Volume knob, and DC signal detected when the output is muted

- The EQ plot now has dB and Hz scales

- Features that are not available at higher sample rates are now properly shown as inactive. Buttons are greyed out then (not changed to Off), EQ curves are shown as inactive. This change affects PEQ, B/T, Loudness and CF. In case of B/T not only will the button be shown in grey, but the B/T part is also removed from the EQ plot (as it happens at 768 kHz).

- Similar improvements can be found in other places of the GUI. For example the Mute vs. buttons are greyed out depending on Dual Phones and Toggle states.

- When no unit is found the app will start with the last state instead of Demo mode. That last state is stored in two separate files (one device setup, one app settings) automatically.

- Under Windows the serial number is now used to differ between same models (already done on Mac). So using multiple DAC or Pro they will have individual settings and windows.

Volume Control (Part 2)
RME’s ADI series includes ground-breaking and unique measures to prevent excessive volume accidents, like slow volume ramp up, plug detection, Hi-Power warnings and operating help directly on screen. ADI-2 Remote v 2.0 brings that kind of expertise to an unprecedented app level. Our new measures and features:

- Dragging the Volume knob with the mouse has been made much slower. This prevents a quick change from mute to full volume by accident.

- Changing the Volume via mouse wheel is now disabled by default. If you insist on doing that go to the new Settings panel (F2) and enable it in there. Options are Off, Volume and All Controls.

- Mice might have ‘over-travel’ or free-wheeling, which is terrible with volume controls. It’s especially bad with Apple’s Magic (touch) Mouse. For that one there exists a new option ‘Prevent Magic Mouse over-travel’ in the macOS app, which is on by default.

- For very cautious people and people with disabilities we added Limit volume rise speed. It turns a ‘louder’ mouse drag into a slow ramp-up (as shown by the dB numbers beside the app’s Volume knob). ‘Quieter’ drags are not affected, so a right-drag too far can be easily fixed by releasing the mouse button - ramping-up will stop then.

- In the lower section of the Settings panel the analog outputs got individual Recall and Limit Volume settings. A Recall button has been added to all output pages on top of the Lock button. Now setting a predefined volume  is only one mouse click away. Limit Volume sets the maximum volume. Defined in dBu, the desired dBu value can be read out in the Status window (see below). If the volume is turned up too high in the app, the message Limit reached! appears at the volume knob.

The State Overview Window (Part 3)
All very impressive, but…oh wait – here comes the State Overview window! This one is already impressive with the DAC, but on 2 Pro and even more 2/4 Pro it’s a mixture of life saver and education. The Status window gives you an easy to understand, fully detailed yet comprehensive overview of everything going on in the unit, with clear information what input signal is processed how and goes where. It’s absolutely brilliant! (Sorry that we’re so excited).

Hit F6 and put the State Overview window beside the main window. Change options on the pages or in the Device section and see in real-time what happens. The State Overview window includes three sections:

- Hardware State and Digital Input State basically show the same as the State Overview on the unit’s display. Non-audio and emphasis warnings are also shown here, as well as passed bit tests (Bit test passed).

- The Output State is packed with useful information. It shows the complete signal path and status of each analog output. The following information appears:

- Status: On, Off, plugged, unplugged. Includes Pentaconn state, Balanced mode, Rear TRS 3/4 and DC warnings.

- Source: USB 1/2, USB 3/4, Analog, AES, SPDIF optical, SPDIF coaxial

- Reference: the current reference level like +13 dBu, with Phones Lo-, Hi-Power and IEM.

- Volume: The current set volume value in dB. The display can be switched to dBu and dBr independently of the current mode using the buttons above. The dBu setting can also be used to read out the value for the Limit Volume option.

- DSP Functions: Lists the DSP FX activated at the respective output: PEQ (EQ), Bass/Treble (B/T), Loudness (LD) and Crossfeed (CF).

For 2 Pro and 2/4 Pro:
- The section Digital Output State holds the same information as the analog outputs..The digital outputs normally have 0 dB as volume and no DSP effects. With Digital Out Source - Main Out the table mirrors the status of the Line output

So this is ADI-2 Remote v 2.0. We hope you like it as much as we do! The available download for Windows and macOS is now the release version with installer and updated help.

Downloads Windows
Windows Firmware Update Tool (FUT): https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_win.zip
Windows app with installer, v2.1: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2remote_win.zip

Downloads Mac
Mac Firmware Update Tool (FUT): https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_mac.zip
Mac app with installer, v2.1: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2remote_mac.zip

Updated ADI-2 Remote 2.0 manuals
English: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2remote_e.pdf
German: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2remote_d.pdf

Note: The extended MIDI protocol will be available soon as download.

Note 2: the ADI-2 Remote 2.1 iPad is available in Apple's AppStore.

System Requirements
The app uses the same graphics engine as DigiCheck NG, so the same system requirements apply: Windows 10 or higher, and a graphics card that supports Direct3D 12. This might exclude some older computers, even when running Windows 10, for example with Intel integrated graphics HD4600 and HD4000.

Current (and  required) Firmware versions:
ADI-2 DAC: USB=81, DSP=62
ADI-2 Pro: USB=267, DSP=128
ADI-2/4 Pro SE (Hw Rev 6): USB=72, DSP=40
ADI-2/4 Pro SE (Hw Rev.7): USB=209, DSP=40

Infos on the update to beta 4 are here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 40#p215540

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: ADI-2 Remote V 2.0 – we can't stop!

Some pics for this wall of text.

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/adi2dac_lineout2.png

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/adi2remote_settings.png

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/adi24_status.png

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The firmware updates also bring other improvements. From the FUT readme:

ADI-2 Pro and 2/4 Pro SE: In Quad Speed, the one possible stereo PEQ is dynamically assigned to the active channel. In Dig Thru mode, ADAT is looped through.

ADI-2 Pro AKM: In DSD Direct mode, the volume encoder no longer changes the PCM volume in the background.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by ramses 2024-03-02 00:30:26)

Great! I am impressed, very nice work. :-)

I think one thing should be changed in terms of ear protection.

I limited the volume rise speed to 5 dB/s. This is a very nice feature. But there is a problem!
You are missing the control over the volume as mouse movement and volume increase is now decoupled from each other and the mouse movement is kind of "buffered / remembered".

What I mean: If you move the mouse too much, then it continues increasing the volume even if you release the left mouse button. The expectation is, that increasing the volume stops as soon as you release the mouse button.
But then it continues increasing the volume based on your prior mouse movement.

I think this is dangerous if the volume change "runs after" (nachläuft) and you have no control over it.

Could that please be addressed, to stop increase or decrease in volume once you release the left mouse button?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Wow @MC ! Thank you and the team for each impressive upgrade.
The State Overview window is magical. So impressed.

Cheers!

I am a happy owner of the ADI-2 DAC for about six years now. Just went through communication with support to find this:

"P.s.: Es wäre schön, wenn man dem ADI-2 Parameter vom Rechner aus mitteilen könnte. Das gilt insbesondere für den Equalizer (Room Equalization Wizard, Accurate-Filter…), aber auch für sonstige Settings" (April 30th, 2018)

Took some time, but we got so much more than I asked for back then. Not to mention feature and performance upgrades that were done over the years. Money well spent. Thank you!

Viel Dank, wie immer problemlose Installation auf dem Mac.

This is superb - thank you RME!!

A small thing (macOS): when closing / reopening, the last state of the windows is not remembered; it always starts up at 100% Zoom and on the left of the screen. Not sure if this is intentional - I liked it better in 1.3 because the window always opened up in the same place / size.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

9 (edited by splitting_ears 2024-03-02 11:30:16)

Thank you very much for the ongoing improvements to the ADI-2 range. These additions to the Remote App are very well thought out, and everything seems to be working smoothly so far. Congratulations to the team!

10 (edited by Data 2024-03-02 13:07:56)

MC wrote:

That is not intentional, we'll check.

I just rechecked - this only seems to happen when the state overview was open and resized

That is expected. The Status Window remembers its position but not size.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That is expected. The Status Window remembers its position but not size.

Yes, but the main window also does not remember its size in that case

Thanks, looking forward to trying it out.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

Thanks for the product! I absolutely enjoy both of my RME ADI-2 DACs. Wonderful piece of hardware and engineering.
Thank you so much!

Setup 1: RME ADI-2->Hegel H160->SA Pandion 5
Setup 2: RME ADI-2 Pro->Hegel H80->SA Pandion 5

Ah, I think I just found a small bug.

I'm currently using the PH 1/2 output at -60dBr, with Dual Phones mode enabled. Here is my settings window:

https://i.imgur.com/PPOuhHJ.png

And here's what happens when I close and reopen the Remote App:

https://i.imgur.com/b6tdGZz.gif

If I play music while closing and reopening the app, the actual sound level doesn't change, but the displayed value is then wrong and jumps when I change it.

16 (edited by Kalkant 2024-03-02 18:17:48)

There seems to be a short delay when altering volume level with the volume knob of my ADI-2 DAC Fs by a small amount. I did not observe this with version 1.3 of ADI-2 remote app (Disable mouse wheel operation = ON). Is this part of the new features? At first moment this behavior is irritating.

But nevertheless: I love this app. It made the (complicated) operation on the device mostly uneccessary.

splitting_ears wrote:

If I play music while closing and reopening the app, the actual sound level doesn't change, but the displayed value is then wrong and jumps when I change it.

All you have to do is Toggle or use the Volume knob at the unit to cause this. Thanks, will be fixed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

18 (edited by Data 2024-03-03 18:07:58)

From a UX perspective a button on the main window that opens the status window might be useful. Now the status overview feels rather "hidden" and you have to know where to look for it.

The additions to the device operation are great, especially the dBFS/dBu + (F6) functions!
Thanks

Maybe an addition to #15
ADI-2 DAC
Settings:
Disable Mouse wheel operation: Off
Volume Options ADI-2 DAC (3): are not activated
Limit volume rise speed: Off

When switching between dBFS or dBu, the mouse wheel no longer works for VOL. A single horizontal or vertical change of VOL with the mouse activates the scroll wheel - but it seems to work with any other change in the remote window as well.

Nice to have:
Balance unequal <C>: Changing the grey colour of Lnn/Rnn

weme wrote:

Maybe an addition to #15
ADI-2 DAC
Settings:

I have no clue what you mean.

weme wrote:

When switching between dBFS or dBu, the mouse wheel no longer works for VOL. A single horizontal or vertical change of VOL with the mouse activates the scroll wheel - but it seems to work with any other change in the remote window as well.

The mouse only works when the window is in focus...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
weme wrote:

Maybe an addition to #15
ADI-2 DAC
Settings:

I have no clue what you mean.

weme wrote:

That's right - it's not an error:
Calling up the window "Show Status Window" deactivates the main window of Remote *), I had overlooked that.

I mainly work with Linux and there are no such restrictions with the programmes I use.

*)
Just tried it with Notepad++ (v8.6):
Calling up "Einstellungen" | "Sprache" shows a second window ("Optionen") with three selection boxes.

The mouse wheel can be used in both windows (text/selection boxes) without activating the window before. Even after a change in the window "Optionen".

There might be tricks to do that even in Windows, like X-mouse behavior (mouse for windows in background). But that would seriously violate any kind of safety that we tried to add in this version regarding volume control. So we won't change that, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

weme wrote:

The mouse wheel can be used in both windows (text/selection boxes) without activating the window before. Even after a change in the window "Optionen".

I had asked about this behavior before and MC explained that it won't be changed.

Concerning usability, I also would like to see an option to minimize/close the app window to the system tray on Windows.

I seem to be having install issue, after unpacking the driver_madiface_win_09833.zip and then installing, I get a message saying ready to use but theres no shortcut on desktop or start menu, searching for rme in the start menu, and looking in the program files dir no results, same issue on 2 different windows 11 home machines, am i missing something?

25 (edited by barstoolbluz 2024-03-04 06:28:09)

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a new user. I just got my ADI 2 Pro FS R BE last month. Still learning.

I use it primarily as a DAC, playing via ASIO (over USB) from a headless Windows 11 system.

The Remote doesn't work for me. It has never worked for me. It doesn't see / discover the device and says only "Disconnected."

I just tried the new beta release and still cannot connect to the device.

It is not my intention to hijack this thread. I've gone through other threads here looking for useful information. It's not you, it's me. But I don't know quite what I have to do to get this working. Thanks for all y'all's patience.

https://imgur.com/a/EELuVbg

Did you install the required latest firmware?

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

And checked the MIDI port setting as described in earlier threads and the current manual?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I really like the limits feature.
Volume control is also very reliable.
Thanks for the work.

MC wrote:

And checked the MIDI port setting as described in earlier threads and the current manual?

That was it. Thank you. Had to download a newer version of the manual. Apologies for interrupting the thread. Now I'm going to not do work and play with this!

david.gildersleeve wrote:

I seem to be having install issue, after unpacking the driver_madiface_win_09833.zip and then installing, I get a message saying ready to use but theres no shortcut on desktop or start menu, searching for rme in the start menu, and looking in the program files dir no results, same issue on 2 different windows 11 home machines, am i missing something?

Anti-virus running mad...

Edit: This thread is not about driver installation. The driver does not install anything to desktop or start menu. See manual!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great job! big_smile  Thank you!

What a numpty, fixed, unlike v1.3 where the driver and app was packaged as one install then the firmware as a second download, there is now a total off 3 files to download ie drivers, firmware and the app itself, not had chance to play with it yet but look forward to checking it out on the weekend, many thanks

Hi, thanks a lot for this nice work! I can't wait to test it tonight smile
The v1 remote app is so convenient in daily usage...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

34 (edited by weme 2024-03-05 16:32:58)

ramses wrote:

Great! I am impressed, very nice work. :-)

I think one thing should be changed in terms of ear protection.

I limited the volume rise speed to 5 dB/s. This is a very nice feature. But there is a problem!
You are missing the control over the volume as mouse movement and volume increase is now decoupled from each other and the mouse movement is kind of "buffered / remembered".

What I mean: If you move the mouse too much, then it continues increasing the volume even if you release the left mouse button. The expectation is, that increasing the volume stops as soon as you release the mouse button.
But then it continues increasing the volume based on your prior mouse movement.

I think this is dangerous if the volume change "runs after" (nachläuft) and you have no control over it.

Could that please be addressed, to stop increase or decrease in volume once you release the left mouse button?

Just a few additions to the perfect description:

I tested it with the setting "Limit volume rise speed: 2 dB/s" and I was very surprised:

(ADI-2 DAC / OS: WIN10)
A fast horizontal movement in the VOL circle with the mouse to the left or right (louder) - or alternatively an analogue use of the mouse wheel - leads to different high deviations from a fixed initial value. The lag to higher volumes is astonishingly long, completely surprising and not without danger!

Whether this extreme test was an impermissible operation of the device, a spontaneous action (cramp, ...) of the operator or had a technical background (mouse, programme or both) would be decided by a judge in a dispute.
If there are no technical possibilities to prevent such reactions of the Remote APP, perhaps this idea for an emergency switch could help:

For example, muting the Remote APP by pressing the space bar.

The reason why I buy RME....ongoing support. Ok, and performance and compatibility. I've never had a problem in any Windows box I've owned while using RME products, even my old firewire models. Thank you!

36 (edited by paulnajar 2024-03-05 23:45:13)

Another great update thanks Matthias.

I may have missed it but in the past there has been talk about the remote software being a MIDI bridge to remote control or even direct MIDI communication with the ADI's. My ADI-2 Pro FS R does indeed create a MIDI port on my Mac system but all I've been able to find is a sysex document regarding implementation. Any news regarding MIDI remote control via CC's and other more common message types?

Kind regards

That is not on our schedule, sorry. Basically it is possible to map simple MIDI commands to the SysEx ones that we use, but that would be a task (app) for someone else.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That is not on our schedule, sorry. Basically it is possible to map simple MIDI commands to the SysEx ones that we use, but that would be a task (app) for someone else.

Thanks for the reply Matthias and no worries. Just making sure I didn’t miss something

MC wrote:

ADI-2 Series Remote for Mac, iPad and Windows, v 2.0

Prologue
In June 2023 RME surprised everyone by releasing the ADI-2 Series Remote for Windows, macOS and iOS, with the updated release 1.3 then available in September.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38074

Version 1.3 already supported ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 Pro (all versions) and ADI-2/4 Pro SE. Customer feedback was outstanding and extremely positive. This encouraged us to make the app even better. Here comes ADI-2 Remote v 2.0, and if you were blown away by version 1.3 then take a deep breath – it's getting exciting again!

This is great and well worth the effort.  If the Remote did not exist, I would not be able to enjoy the product as much as I do, would be frustrated by it, probably not use it properly, and probably would not have just purchased an ADI-2/4 Pro SE as an upgrade / additional unit from my ADI-2 DAC FS that I already own. 

Keep it up!

Now just add power controls and the visualizer from digicheck to a new panel and we're golden! (seriously though, great job!!)

Waiting for ios-update every day
It should be this app, or is it a different one
https://apps.apple.com/at/app/adi-2-rem … 6449708476
Is this correct?

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Viennacalling wrote:

Waiting for ios-update every day
It should be this app, or is it a different one
https://apps.apple.com/at/app/adi-2-rem … 6449708476
Is this correct?

Yes.

Question regarding ipad app, anyone know if the app is compatible with an ipad mini 2 and advice on cable required, many thanks in advance

44 (edited by KaiS 2024-03-08 21:47:05)

david.gildersleeve wrote:

Question regarding ipad app, anyone know if the app is compatible with an ipad mini 2 and advice on cable required, …

Should work if you have at least iOS (iPadOS) 12.4 installed.
iPad Mini 2 supports up to iOS 12.5.4.

I‘m not sure about iPadOS vs iOS.

Go to the Appstore, look for ADI-2 Remote and you will immediately find out.
ADI-2 Remote runs without connection to ADI-2 in demo-mode.

For connection you need an USB-A to USB-B cable (like the one supplied with ADI-2) and one of those Apple CCK adapters:

https://www.apple.com/de/shop/product/M … ra-adapter

https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/4668/as-images.apple.com/is/MD821?wid=1144&amp;hei=1144&amp;fmt=jpeg&amp;qlt=95&amp;.v=0

https://www.apple.com/de/shop/product/M … ra-adapter
This one supports charging in use:

https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/4668/as-images.apple.com/is/MK0W2?wid=1144&amp;hei=1144&amp;fmt=jpeg&amp;qlt=90&amp;.v=1479496994382

45 (edited by driver 2024-03-09 00:34:00)

Hello all, it's my very first post here:)
I just discovered, that

System Requirements
The app uses the same graphics engine as DigiCheck NG, so the same system requirements apply: Windows 10 or higher, and a graphics card that supports Direct3D 12. This might exclude some older computers, even when running Windows 10, for example with Intel integrated graphics HD4600 and HD4000.

it's not necessery truth.
ADI-2 Remote V 2.0 is running on my HD4600 in Windows 10 with ease. Workaround is on Intel website:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en … phics.html
You need to manually downgrade driver. Download the second file from Intel's website (.zip), then unpack and manually update (downgrade in this case) driver by select driver location in Downloads\win64_15.40.42.5063\Graphics.
The Remote app will run, BUT Your coumputer will have potential security vulnerability with this driver. Intel fixed vulnerability by damaging directX12 compatibility.

I updated the first post with the latest firmware DSP127 for the Pro, and the new beta 4 download links for the ADI-2 Remote 2.0 app, Windows and macOS.

In beta 4 we fixed all issues that we still found, and the ones that were reported, like:

- Limit volume rise speed now works as suggested by Ramses. The rising volume stops the moment the mouse key is released.

- The 5 dB offset issue reported here (only Pro, Phones 1/2) has been fixed. This one also requires an update of the Pro's firmware to DSP 127.

- Status Overview renamed to State Overview.

- Several entries on the State Overview window have been further improved

- Added a button SOV on the top right to open the State Overview window. This was necessary for the iPad version, but is also useful in the Win/Mac app (remember F6 works as well).

- Position of the State Overview window is now saved correctly. Note: size is not saved, this is a task for a later version, as is the ability to close and open both at the same time.

Enjoy!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great Matthias, many thanks :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is excellent - thank you! I already love the new SOV button :-)

49 (edited by Data 2024-03-09 10:55:07)

A possible idea for a future version: using the Loudness function changes the EQ curve, depending on volume. How about showing this in the EQ graph, maybe with a dotted line / shaded area?

50 (edited by ramses 2024-03-09 08:32:26)

One observation when restoring a config.
It doesn't show the name of the PEQ setting that was stored.

I stored the config with "Slow Comp 44."

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/37cwtcd70lgdlhlyd5ylw/2024-03-09-ADI-2-Remote-Save-Restore-PEQ-Setting-Part-1.jpg?rlkey=cjqu8uubryd91q32203n3xnph&amp;dl=1

Immediately after restoring, the config is shows "Manual (last dialed)".
Expectation: it should show the actual name of the PEQ setting "Slow Comp 44."

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/37cwtcd70lgdlhlyd5ylw/2024-03-09-ADI-2-Remote-Save-Restore-PEQ-Setting-Part-1.jpg?rlkey=cjqu8uubryd91q32203n3xnph&amp;dl=1

Showing "Manual (last dialed)" after restore is irritating because
a) it looks as if you changed something manually, which is not the fact
b) it doesn't support me to see whether this is really the correct PEQ setting

I think it is important, that the device and ADI-2 Remote software reflect the actual state after restore.

I would be happy if this could be changed.