1 (edited by Gordon cole 2024-03-24 08:44:14)

Topic: Totalmix FX & Logic Pro X Please Help!

Hi,

I'm still struggling to understand TMFX. I've tried youtube and guides but I just can't grasp the concept.
I bought my RME UCX about 7 years ago and have never gotten around to using it with TMFX because i just end up overwhelmed.
I also have a learning disability which makes it a bit harder. Is there a step by step guide that's simple and with pictures/diagrams?
I just want to get set up with my keyboard and start recording. I am using logic pro x with a midi keyboard controller. That's it at the moment.

All drivers and firmware are up to date on hardware and logic and mac

I would love to start recording as soon as possible and any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks GC

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.4
2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Fireface RME UCX
Firmware - Fireface UCX: USB 49, DSP 260, FW 27, Class Compliant 14
Driver 4.10

Novation Launchkey 49 MIDI Keyboard Controller USB powered

Logic Pro X
Version 10.7.9

Re: Totalmix FX & Logic Pro X Please Help!

Hi Gordon.

Please look at this posting, that I wrote some years ago:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

It contains useful information about the basic concept of TotalMix routing and recommended information resources.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Gordon cole 2024-03-24 09:24:34)

Thankyou, just had a look. It's a lot of information. As i said, it's all a bit much for my brain. Does TMFX have any influence over latency when i am recording my keyboard? Is there a way to monitor the keys (virtual instrument) through TMFX with reduced latency, so i dont get all the pops and crackles? or is that a logic/mac problem?

I wish i never bought this thing, it's obviously way out of my ability to learn. I feel like frodo right now..off on an epic journey to Mordor, to throw ucx into the fiery gaping maw of mount doom.

Thanks GC

4 (edited by waedi 2024-03-24 10:01:32)

No, Totalmix can not lower the latency from Logic and involved software plugins and instruments.
yes it's a DAW/Computer problem, not only Logic and Macs, this is a technical difficulty of all systems.

Adjust the buffer size and your workflow, use low-CPU software-instruments for monitoring during recording (record only Midi from the keyboard), render later with the high-CPU-instruments.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks, Waedi!

6 (edited by ramses 2024-03-24 10:22:10)

The operating concept of TotalMix FX is actually "quite simple".

It supports you—among other things—to get an optimum routing for monitoring your audio.
So that not everything needs to be routed through the DAW (with higher latency over USB etc).
You can route audio for some use cases with less latency directly from an input to an output.
Any combination is possible:
audio from inputs and/or from the PC (top and middle row in TM FX)  to any Output (Bottom Row in TM FX).

Let me try to summarize the essential information in simple sentences:

Each output has its own submix.

You can configure what you want to hear at each output:
  Option A) Either audio from the hardware inputs (faders in the top row of TotalMix) or
  Option B) Audio from the PC (faders in the middle row).

The metering helps you see where an audio signal is coming from that you might want to hear at that output.

All you have to do is to
— click on an HW Output in TM bottom row
— move the fader of top and middle row (inputs and audio from PC)
to create the needed submix for *** this particular output ****

Do this for every output, where you need a special submix (monitors, headphones, …).

The rest is just the usual daily operation that you need to learn step by step.

Here are just two examples:

a) Bringing active monitors and headphones into the Control Room via the "Assign" function so that Control Room functions are available for your monitoring (e.g., DIM, etc.).
b) Saving your most frequently used routings, such as routing audio to active monitors or headphones. These are the 8 snapshots "slots" on the right side for saving and recalling the routings.

You should make backups of your settings to your computer using TM FX -> Save Workspace As ...

There are various reasons for audio drops and this is a topic of its own.
Especially VSTi can be CPU intensive, did you ensure to use high enough buffer settings in the application or DAW?
You need to balance buffer settings and latency.
The higher the buffers the lower the likeliness for audio loss, but the higher the latency.

But Apple also had issues in the past with audio drops, but this is something which is difficult to summarize in a few sentences. And the root cause in your case can also be another one. First I would try to adjust the buffer for audio as I suggested to find the sweetspot between safety and latency.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

In my opinion the first step to learn how TotalMix works is to understand, that all the digital mixing processes happen on the hardware itself, so within the Fireface UCX in your case.
The app on the computer is only there to control it.

Also important to know is the fact, TotalMix has no influence on the recording path of a particular audio signal.
There can be some exceptions, but normally it is:
Analog input (microphone, instrument…) -> AD converter -> USB -> computer / DAW.

At the same time, the signal can be monitored directly through TotalMix (no USB, no computer):
Analog input -> AD -> TotalMix routing within interface -> DA -> analog hardware output.

The signals coming from the computer/ DAW also can be mixed and routed within TotalMix:
Computer / DAW -> USB -> TotalMix routing within interface -> DA -> analog hardware output.

You can see the UCX with integrated TotalMix as a digital mixer which is connected over USB (or FireWire) to the computer for
A: controlling the processes over the TotalMix FX app
B: recording and playback applications (e.g. Logic pro)

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

8 (edited by ramses 2024-03-24 11:42:30)

No matter how and what you write, people should realize that it takes some time to learn new things.

There is already enough information that gives you an intro and points you to useful sources of information.
Whatever you or me try to explain "the most important is this or that ... ".

The *really* important thing is to take the needed time and to read the available information to build up knowledge.

Olli, you, others and me wrote already so many times about TM FX and answered questions...

The sticky posting which I wrote some time ago was an attempt to give everybody a good guidance and pre-briefing what the objective is and where to find good source of information.

Every so often it appears to me that people think, that it is not necessary to read information, be it manual/text or video and have the expectation that everything has to be easy and self explaining.
But this is not the case. You need to learn the stuff like every other thing in life.

ramses wrote:

The sticky posting which I wrote some time ago was an attempt to give everybody a good guidance and pre-briefing what the objective is and where to find good source of information.

And it's clear that you put a lot of time and effort into it, which i'm sure i would appreciate more if i didn't have learning difficulties/adhd etc..and mind you we all learn and connect differently to content and how it's delivered too. A lot at play.

thanks for helping smile

ramses wrote:

No matter how and what you write, people should realize that it takes some time to learn new things.

There is already enough information that gives you an intro and points you to useful sources of information.

The *really* important thing is to take the needed time and to read the available information to build up knowledge.

Olli, you, others and me wrote already so many times about TM FX and answered questions...

Maybe it’s good to know I didn’t see your post nr. 6 before, I think I was just on the way to write mine (nr. 7) in the meantime.
The other thing is: Gordon stated it’s not easy for him to read and understand long and complicated texts, so I’ve tried to keep it short and simple…
As a long time experienced music (percussion) teacher I know that there are many individual ways to learn something. So maybe we really can’t stop repeating to explain the same things over and over, but we have always to search for new ways to do that.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:
ramses wrote:

Maybe it’s good to know I didn’t see your post nr. 6 before, I think I was just on the way to write mine (nr. 7) in the meantime.
The other thing is: Gordon stated it’s not easy for him to read and understand long and complicated texts, so I’ve tried to keep it short and simple…
As a long time experienced music (percussion) teacher I know that there are many individual ways to learn something. So maybe we really can’t stop repeating to explain the same things over and over, but we have always to search for new ways to do that.

Appreciate this! BTW your prev post no.7 was helpful thanks again.