Topic: Fireface 400 and new MAC Powerbook pro M3

Hello,
before to buy (for a music studio update) a new Mac Powerbook pro with processor M3 (operating system MacOS Ventura), I'm asking to someone if the Fireface 400 that I'm still using is working on this machine or not.

I saw on https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads.html that RME officially release the last version:
Version 3.41, for macOS 11/12 only. Supports Intel and M1.

But the new Powerbook has Mac Os Ventura is 13 and the new processor M3.

Any suggestion?
I read here at the forum https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36970 that someone have no trouble on M2 processor and Ventura 13 using the official Apple Train cables (firewire/usb/usbC).

Someone can confirm works also on new M3 Processors?
Many thank for the replies.

Re: Fireface 400 and new MAC Powerbook pro M3

I have it working fine with the two dongle. Firewire 800 to thunderbolt 2, thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3. But I am running into a strange thing. Previously FF400 was booting up as soon as I switched it on. TotalMix launched and RME settings too. Now it seems I have to restart MacBook Pro for it to be recognised. Once working it is solid. Hope this helps

Laennec wrote:

I have it working fine with the two dongle. Firewire 800 to thunderbolt 2, thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3. But I am running into a strange thing. Previously FF400 was booting up as soon as I switched it on. TotalMix launched and RME settings too. Now it seems I have to restart MacBook Pro for it to be recognised. Once working it is solid. Hope this helps

what OS are you on I have Mac Book pro M3 on MacOS 14.1    Fireface settings app won't open and Fireface 800 isn't recognized

acarakawa wrote:
Laennec wrote:

what OS are you on I have Mac Book pro M3 on MacOS 14.1    Fireface settings app won't open and Fireface 800 isn't recognized

Probably the problem is the OS 14 Sonoma...with Ventura should be no trouble like Laennec says...
Some other suggestions before to update to this new expensive machine? May be is it possible to downgrade to OS 13 on that?

Sounds to me like an unsuccessful driver install.
Did you make sure to follow the correct install procedure for kernel extensions? Reducing security standards and also allow it in the security preferences during install? Often this does not pop up automatically... And even then... I had M1 and M2 machines which needed several tries of repeated installs, but once recognised it always worked fine.
However, I didn't try M3 or Sonoma, but I suppose it should be similar.

I have Sonoma 14.3 running. The only thing is that the unit is not plug and play as it was under high Sierra I need to restart the MacBook Pro M3

acarakawa wrote:
Laennec wrote:

Happy to report that Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter  > Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire 800 adapter > Fireface 800 works on my Windows 11 laptop on it's Thunderbolt 4 port.

It's a shame that Apple stopped producing the Tbolt 2 to FW800 device.

8 (edited by aldube36 2024-03-28 15:19:28)

lardinoi wrote:

Happy to report that Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter  > Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire 800 adapter > Fireface 800 works on my Windows 11 laptop on it's Thunderbolt 4 port.

It's a shame that Apple stopped producing the Tbolt 2 to FW800 device.

By curiosity which laptop do u use for it ?

Kind regards