Topic: FF800 output to Bluetooth speaker?

Win 10
FF800
Reaper
Total Mix Driver version 3.125/Hardware revision 2.77

I'm not sure if this is possible, but is there any way to send a signal from my DAW to a Bluetooth speaker connected to Win10?

Re: FF800 output to Bluetooth speaker?

From the FF800, you cannot plug a cable into "the air" (Bluetooth).

You could load the Bluetooth driver into the DAW, but as the DAW (like any other audio application) can only load one audio driver at a time, you would lose the connectivity to the FF800.

This might be possible using ASIO4ALL because it adds a driver layer over any other audio driver (be it ASIO or WDM or whatnot) and communicates to the application using ASIO. But I can't recommend this to you. This leads to an unsupported setup and is against the principle of ASIO drivers having direct access to the audio hardware (FF800) with highest stability and least latency in mind.

Another point is, if you send audio from FF800 to the bluetooth device then the two different devices would need to be clock synchronized. But this is not possible. You would need a digital connection between FF800 and the Bluetooth device (or word clock).

Even if you sacrifice to have a supported setup etc bla and would use ASIO4ALL. I doubt that this leads to stable audio without any issues.

You can try to install audio. For professional work simply load the RME ASIO driver. For all these workarounds load the ASIO4ALL driver. You can control it in your DAW, which driver you want to choose.

Or simply use the Bluetooth driver if it is the only purpose to play music from the DAW directly to Bluetooth.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

One could use "virtual audio cable" to route output of RME driver to BT audio driver. I have never tried, but it could work.

https://vb-audio.com/Cable/

or more complex

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

From, what I have heard, it is way better than ASIO4ALL.

I did use a Bluetooth transmitter for pairing with a bluetooth speaker.
Works fine and sound quality was surprisingly good.
The transmitter is connected to analog outputs at the interface.

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/oe … r-14520044

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

I did use a Bluetooth transmitter for pairing with a bluetooth speaker.
Works fine and sound quality was surprisingly good.
The transmitter is connected to analog outputs at the interface.

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/oe … r-14520044

BTW .. this is an older product, the latest release has BT 5.1

https://oehlbach.com/de/btr-evolution-5.1/

https://www.tcl.com/de/de/blog/guides/b … comparison

If you want higher Bluetooth standards like 5.2 then these is this USB based product available:
https://oehlbach.com/de/bluetooth-trans … .2-d1c6054

Then you need to think again about other solutions like ASIO4ALL or virtual cable.

You would need to test what is more beneficial to use ASIO4ALL or virtual cable in terms of latency.
Maybe there is a different since ASIO4ALL might be a driver running in the kernel, which could be more efficient,
where virtual cable sounds more like a software based version most likely running as a user program. Try it out.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by ramses 2024-04-14 07:31:50)

@Miscreant:

May I ask for what use case you need the connection between FF800 and BT speaker?
Is it really needed to work with both in parallel, FF800 and your active Monitors plus Bluetooth in addition?
What purpose has a Bluetooth speaker in a recording setup?

From gut feeling, it sounds a little bit as if you want to combine things that do not belong together.
Maybe there are better solutions for what you would like to achieve.

Bluetooth, AFAIR, also does not provide lossless audio and Bluetooth speakers are at best consumer devices but have nothing to do with anything like "studio quality". So why this combination?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38901

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

@Miscreant:

May I ask for what use case you need the connection between FF800 and BT speaker?
Is it really needed to work with both in parallel, FF800 and your active Monitors plus Bluetooth in addition?
What purpose has a Bluetooth speaker in a recording setup?

From gut feeling, it sounds a little bit as if you want to combine things that do not belong together.
Maybe there are better solutions for what you would like to achieve.

Bluetooth, AFAIR, also does not provide lossless audio and Bluetooth speakers are at best consumer devices but have nothing to do with anything like "studio quality". So why this combination?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The use case is 'radical' A/B'ing when mixing. So many people today listen to music via tiny portable bluetooth speakers. A lot of them are also mono.

I'd like to be able to toggle between my actual studio monitors and this B speaker without having to print out a copy of my track and then play it through, say, VLC player and select my output via Windows' native sound card.

These are standard Windows procedures.

- Make sure you have at least 1 WDM devcice activated in the UFX Settings dialog

- Open Windows Sound panel, tab Record, select the UFX WDM input device, button down right Properties

- Tab Monitor, check 'use this device as playback source'

- Select your BlueTooth phones as playback target (all these names and text in these dialogs are horribly wrong in German, totally confusing)

- In TotalMix FX hit Loopback on the output channel that equals the WDM device. Make sure your mix is sent there.

Voila. This setup/setting works with everything. It uses Windows own mixer for rerouting a record signal to any playback device.

All Windows names/lables might be a bit different (I just tried to translate the German ones).

Thanks for this. Yes, I saw it and found myself confused, thinking it might apply only to the UFX. Tried again with a fresh head and I'm better understanding the instructions.

A few q's: 

1. In Sounds>Recording I don't see what you're calling the 'UFX WDM device,' even though I have exactly 1 activated in my FF800 settings.

2. How do I determine/configure what output channel in TotalMix equals the WDM device?

Miscreant wrote:

These are standard Windows procedures.

- Make sure you have at least 1 WDM devcice activated in the UFX Settings dialog

- Open Windows Sound panel, tab Record, select the UFX WDM input device, button down right Properties

- Tab Monitor, check 'use this device as playback source'

- Select your BlueTooth phones as playback target (all these names and text in these dialogs are horribly wrong in German, totally confusing)

- In TotalMix FX hit Loopback on the output channel that equals the WDM device. Make sure your mix is sent there.

Voila. This setup/setting works with everything. It uses Windows own mixer for rerouting a record signal to any playback device.

All Windows names/lables might be a bit different (I just tried to translate the German ones).

Thanks for this. Yes, I saw it and found myself confused, thinking it might apply only to the UFX. Tried again with a fresh head and I'm better understanding the instructions.

A few q's: 

1. In Sounds>Recording I don't see what you're calling the 'UFX WDM device,' even though I have exactly 1 activated in my FF800 settings.

2. How do I determine/configure what output channel in TotalMix equals the WDM device?

Please ignore. Figured it out. Thanks!