Topic: Babyface Pro - loud crackling on M2 Macbook Pro/Ventura

Everything was working fine, until it wasn't. Problem came out of nowhere - no changes in Mac OS or RME software, but suddenly playing any sound at all through the Babyface led to earsplitting crackling.

So I updated the firmware and the driver, and it's just got worse.  Any ideas?

Babyface Pro: Firmware v206, Driver v4.08
Macbook Pro 16",
M2 processor
Ventura 13.5.1

Re: Babyface Pro - loud crackling on M2 Macbook Pro/Ventura

Cable?

Can you try a different computer? Mac or PC doesn't matter.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

A lot of people seem to have Mac problems fixed by upgrading to the Sonoma beta, although it wouldn't be the first thing I try.

According to the OPs description it would be useless. The issue here is far above 'some clicks', and came out of nowhere without changes.

Question is more like had there been a change that was overlooked - like the BF had been used with a different USB port before, or a dock or dongle had been added to the setup etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by peterfalconer 2023-09-27 15:38:38)

Allo!

Thanks all for your suggestions.  A full shutdown and restart seemed to fix things apart from the odd CLICK every few days, but I was so bogged down I didn't come back to report it. 

However, now it's come back; shutting down and restarting doesn't do anything.

Can confirm that nothing has been changed in terms of the USB connection ports/cables, anything like that.  Set up is exactly the same each time.

peterfalconer wrote:

Allo!

Thanks all for your suggestions.  A full shutdown and restart seemed to fix things apart from the odd CLICK every few days, but I was so bogged down I didn't come back to report it. 

However, now it's come back; shutting down and restarting doesn't do anything.

Can confirm that nothing has been changed in terms of the USB connection ports/cables, anything like that.  Set up is exactly the same each time.

Is your computer still on Ventura ? If upgrade is possible I would do. Sonoma is now official online (no longer beta ).
I did the upgrade and it's all fine.
RME interface and all audio software is running as wanted.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Is your computer still on Ventura ? If upgrade is possible I would do. Sonoma is now official online (no longer beta ).
I did the upgrade and it's all fine.
RME interface and all audio software is running as wanted.

Ah thanks, I'll do that in the morning.

9 (edited by waedi 2023-09-28 02:46:17)

Good luck and please report if a success happens.
Also a new driver version 409 is online, you may update this too for being complete up-to-date.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 63#p208363

My computer was inadvertently updated to Ventura Since then I have been experiencing frequent audio glitches. The glitch pauses the audio playback and crackles are heard. It seems to be related to RAM (anywhere near the 55/64 GB limit), and closing RAM intensive programs is one way to initiate the crackles.

I have the same machine, but with a M1 Max processor.

ufx ii / bfp

wderganc wrote:

My computer was inadvertently updated to Ventura Since then I have been experiencing frequent audio glitches. The glitch pauses the audio playback and crackles are heard. It seems to be related to RAM (anywhere near the 55/64 GB limit), and closing RAM intensive programs is one way to initiate the crackles.

I have the same machine, but with a M1 Max processor.

This is the Memory Pressure Problem, which should be improved or solved in Sonoma.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Still seeing it around 30/64 GB range with memory pressure low. It will stutter for ~2 seconds from application switching, closing safari tabs, etc.

Could this lead to the earsplitting noise issue from the first post?

ufx ii / bfp

Still getting this from time to time.  It gradually calms down, but I have to go through about 10 minutes of CRACK! CRACKALAKALAK! first. 

Particularly cracks when I open up a new window in safari or even change tabs, so I did think it might be a processor/RAM problem... but neither the memory pressor nor the CPU are remotely close to being overworked.

Hello Peter, sorry to hear that.
To keep it up to date, is the computer on Sonoma 14.1 and the driver 4.09 ?

I also have this stutter problem with Sonoma, try this: start computer in safe mode, then restart.

Juan José Salazar
Sonic Animal Music
RME Babyface, Win 10, Mac Catalina, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Ableton

I moved to Sonomo and haven't seen any relief. It's happening on my computer with almost no RAM usage. It's surprising that this issue isn't talked about more. Could this be an issue with some individual machines / is RME seeing many of these complaints?

No issues whatsoever with onboard audio, but when using USB audio through either of my interfaces random dropout glitches occur. Safe mode did not solve it. Apple was also of no help.

ufx ii / bfp

wderganc wrote:

I moved to Sonomo and haven't seen any relief. It's happening on my computer with almost no RAM usage. It's surprising that this issue isn't talked about more. Could this be an issue with some individual machines / is RME seeing many of these complaints?

No issues whatsoever with onboard audio, but when using USB audio through either of my interfaces random dropout glitches occur. Safe mode did not solve it. Apple was also of no help.

I'm also struggling with this issue. Would be good to have an update from RME about this issue.

This is probably unrelated, but I happen to have encountered the same problem on the Linux side with a UXF+ device. Could it be a coincidence, or is the mechanism of the problem the same?