Topic: Wavelab and RME 2/4 SE routing problem

Having a routing problem

My headphones are plugged into 3/4 on the front

But i can only hear through the headphones when 1/2 is selected in wavelab, not 3/4 (silence)

Multichannel mode is on

Any ideas?

Also i can't seem to send a signal to the hardware chain, due to this same issue (1/2 into gear, 1/2 back from gear, 3/4 monitor playback)

Thank you!

2 (edited by ramses 2024-04-20 16:32:48)

Re: Wavelab and RME 2/4 SE routing problem

conor wrote:

Having a routing problem

My headphones are plugged into 3/4 on the front

But i can only hear through the headphones when 1/2 is selected in wavelab, not 3/4 (silence)

Multichannel mode is on

Any ideas?

Also i can't seem to send a signal to the hardware chain, due to this same issue (1/2 into gear, 1/2 back from gear, 3/4 monitor playback)

Thank you!

One new thing in the ADI-2/4 Pro SE's design is that the rear TRS outputs can be assigned to channels 3/4 as independent 2nd line output / play out path.

You need to find the setting, to assign outputs 3/4 again to the phones outputs in the front.

Check the manual, maybe you start looking at the block diagrams of the different routing modes.
I do not know from memory in what chapter this information is in, but should be no rocket science after my explanation with what this has to deal with.

A good chance to become acquainted with the manual wink
Or maybe you find it "intuitively" using the ADI-2 Remote application.. Store the current settings to a user profile to be able to come back to this state well and then ... clickediclick(tm) ...

waedi wrote:

You have to use Totalmix and route the desired channels to the headphone, pull up the second fader in the middle row when the headphone output Phones1 is selected (click into it)

RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE is a reference converter and does not have TotalMix FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by conor 2024-04-20 17:04:25)

edited post: phones 3/4 issue resolved:

Next problem below

4 (edited by conor 2024-04-20 17:04:58)

Ok found the magic button in ADI-Remote to switch phones 3/4 to Usb 3/4

Great. Now i can monitor on 3/4 phones

However, i can't seem to send a signal from 1/2 into the hardware gear for some reason, connected with XLR from 1/2 on the back and back on 1/2 inputs on the back

Lineout "source" is locked (it's on auto)

Any ideas?

5 (edited by ramses 2024-04-20 17:12:26)

conor wrote:

Ok found the magic button in ADI-Remote to switch phones 3/4 to Usb 3/4
Great. Now i can monitor on 3/4 phones

This information was quick to find in the manual.

If you look into the table of content you find quickly chapter 21 which is about analog outputs.
There in 21.2 "Line out TRS 1/2 (3/4)" you find a reference to 12.3 "Phones Output 1/2 and 3/4".
There you find this information in Source. Took only a few minutes.

You need to get acquainted with the manual and work with it. The big benefit, it is well organized and following a logic structure, so you really find something by either chapter or by searching for a keyword.

conor wrote:

However, i can't seem to send a signal from 1/2 into the hardware gear for some reason, connected with XLR from 1/2 on the back and back on 1/2 inputs on the back.
Any ideas?

I would look 1st of all into the block diagrams in terms of routing.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by conor 2024-04-20 17:34:42)

i looked into the manual and block diagrams, and didn't find a solution, that's why i'm coming here to hopefully get some advice

Line out seems to be stuck on USB 1/2 and i can't change that, it's locked, could this be the issue maybe?

I don't understand the problem, but the manual also clearly says that Line Out Source can be freely set in different Basic Modes than USB. And then you will need the block diagrams to understand the routing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-22 06:16:51)

conor wrote:

… i can't seem to send a signal from 1/2 into the hardware gear for some reason, connected with XLR from 1/2 on the back and back on 1/2 inputs on the back

• To change from Class Compliant Stereo- to CC Multichannel- Mode, USB has to be unplugged.
As you‘re using the USB linked ADI-2 Remote App you probably haven‘t done that.
Unplug and set “Class Compliant Multichannel Mode” on the device’s menu, then replug USB:

- Unplug USB
- SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: USB
- SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / CC-Mode: Multichannel
- Replug USB

• In CC-Multichannel Mode analog XLR out is permanently linked to USB Playback 1/2, like you want it.
Block diagram manual page 43.

• On ADI-2 Remote App, set:
- Device / Phones / Toggle Ph./Line: OFF
- Device / Phones / Mute Line vs. Phones / 3/4: OFF
- Device / Phones / Mute Line vs. Phones / 1/2: OFF, or ON if you like to temporarily plug phones into PH 1/2 with their own setting, while automatically muting analog XLR.

That should be it.

KaiS wrote:
conor wrote:

… i can't seem to send a signal from 1/2 into the hardware gear for some reason, connected with XLR from 1/2 on the back and back on 1/2 inputs on the back

• To change from Class Compliant Stereo- to CC Multichannel- Mode, USB has to be unplugged.
As you‘re using the USB linked ADI-2 Remote App you probably haven‘t done that.
Unplug and set “Class Compliant Multichannel Mode” on the devices menu, then replug USB:

- Unplug USB
- SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: USB
- SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / CC-Mode: Multichannel
- Replug USB

• In CC-Multichannel Mode analog XLR out is permanently linked to USB Playback 1/2, like you want it.
Block diagram manual page 43.

• On ADI-2 Remote App, set:
- Device / Phones / Toggle Ph./Line: OFF
- Device / Phones / Mute Line vs. Phones / 3/4: OFF
- Device / Phones / Mute Line vs. Phones / 1/2: OFF, or ON if you like to temporarily plug phones into PH 1/2 with their own setting, while automatically muting analog XLR.

That should be it.

This was it

Thank you so much!

That was very helpful, not sure i would have figured that out otherwise!

@kais: he must have been in Multichannel mode, otherwise would not be able to change Ph3/4 source to 3/4, as he did in post #4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

@kais: he must have been in Multichannel mode, otherwise would not be able to change Ph3/4 source to 3/4, as he did in post #4.

Probably “Toggle Ph./Line” was the one.