1 (edited by Rev2010 2022-02-20 18:21:13)

Topic: Why doesn't mute work at all?

I have the Babyface Pro FS and yesterday was testing a new microphone. I noticed that no matter even if I mute every single input/output I still hear the mic through my headphones. Doesn't matter if I have Cubase open or not. I also noticed the channel slider doesn't raise or lower the monitoring volume unless I click the "T" trim button.

I've had the Babyface for a while now, been working great as the interface for my guitar, I don't use mics too often. I came from a Mackie Onyx and with that mixer/interface the mute button mutes the mic. I tried everything I could think of in Total Mix and it seems like the mute/solo buttons don't actually do anything and that any channel levels & panning also only ever do anything when I engage the "T" trim button.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong without saying to read the manual? Outside of those issues I'm able to use the monitoring effects with no issue at all, love them! At one point though I clicked something and I wasn't getting FX anymore then realized the return knob got turned all the way down lol.

Re: Why doesn't mute work at all?

When Mute and Solo don't work on an input then the Mute and Solo Master button are not pressed. Top right in TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Rev2010 2022-02-21 18:13:42)

MC wrote:

When Mute and Solo don't work on an input then the Mute and Solo Master button are not pressed. Top right in TM FX.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! That's what I was missing. Very much appreciated smile

BTW I have cousins in Deutschland, one is named Matthias and the other is named Carsten.

Nowhere on the software interface does it indicate those buttons are for that. To make things even more confusing, for example, when you attempt to mute your control room routes without the "Master Mute" NOT engaged, the master mute button will still light up blue as if it's engaged properly.

The mute button can have three different color.
Grey - not pressed
blue - pressed but not active
bright blue - active
you can see flipping blue to bright blue when toggle the master mute button.
I have to admit it can be confusing for beginners. Take your time and learn it right, confusion will disappear quick.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The mute button can have three different color.
Grey - not pressed
blue - pressed but not active
bright blue - active
you can see flipping blue to bright blue when toggle the master mute button.
I have to admit it can be confusing for beginners. Take your time and learn it right, confusion will disappear quick.

I’ve been using Total Mix for close to 3 years now and it really didn’t take me too long to dig around to figure out the solution. The purpose of my critique is to point out one of the many funky little quirks Total Mix brings to the table. SO robust, but I feel with some UI tweaks it could be a bit more friendly upon first approach.

I work in a studio production environment so a lot of my setups are a “create it once and leave it” scenario, but the critical times I need to change things up I find myself having to “get back into it” and re-learn the approach instead of getting the feeling of jumping on your bike after a long winter and picking it right back up. If that makes sense lol

You call it a quirk, other would call it great feature.
A master mute button to switch on/off all mute is a feature like having air in the bike tires.

waedi wrote:

You call it a quirk, other would call it great feature.
A master mute button to switch on/off all mute is a feature like having air in the bike tires.

lol I agree! Good analogy.

I’m not talking about the actual function. If the master mute function WASN’T there, it’d be an issue for me. I’m talking specifically about the UI design choice of blue vs. “bright” blue as a way to differentiate between two different states of operation and the general location of the Master Section and its lack of what I think are basic industry agreed upon ideas of how things should be labeled and or located etc. [I can’t seem to think of a good bike analogy for this lol]

What are your thoughts? Anything you’d tweak?

9 (edited by waedi 2024-05-08 18:06:10)

No, I wouldn't change anything as I'm familiar with it.

You can adjust either Contrast of your monitor, or the Brightness correction in TMFX directly.

For advanced users:
You can even modify the included resources (*.bmp) Files of TM. ButtonsMute*.bmp. And customize the the Mute on color in pink ;-) with gimp or ps. But on Mac you have to codesign the app again.
So-> make a Backup before experimenting with that.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard