Topic: ADI-642 not sending good signal at 44.1

I have this weird problem. My DAC (dCS Debussy) is able to lock when ADI-642 sends AES out at 48k but not at 44.1k. When set at 44.1k, DAC continuously tries to lock and produces the clocking-locking sound continuously at very high speed.

My setup is as follows.

Win 10 Computer > MADIFace USB > Fiber optic cable > ADI-642 > AES out > DAC

I did my diagnosis and my conclusion is that something is wrong with ADI-642 because -

a. It produces the locking-clicking sound continuously even after my computer and MADIFace USB is off.

b. I fed my DAC with another 44.1k source and it is able to lock and play the music.

Any help/insight would be a great help.

Re: ADI-642 not sending good signal at 44.1

What sample rate is the Madiface set ? Try different

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

As I mentioned earlier, the problem occurs even when MADIFace USB is off. But when I run it, it is set at 44.1.

With 48k, everything runs smooth.

4 (edited by waedi 2024-05-25 06:30:54)

But you didn't mention how the clock settings are in the Madiface.
And at the ADI642 front panel what is selected for clock ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

The ADI-642 settings are the only relevant info here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by hifimckinney 2024-05-25 15:00:37)

On ADI-642, when I choose 44.1, DAC cannot lock the signal however; I can hear music coming out of headphones out of ADI-642 but the DAC is not able to lock. But when I set to 48k, DAC can lock.

Please note that I understand that frequency must be same all across. This arrangement has been working for years, the problem started occurring recently.

The 642 gets the signal from MADI and should be slave to the MADIface USB. So in the Clock section it must be set to MADI input - no sample rate, and also not DS/QS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME