1 (edited by chapitil 2024-07-13 17:33:51)

Topic: [Solved] Headphone output not recognized by computer ?

Hi, I'm in the process of setting up the RME adi 2/4 pro SE.
I download the driver, and flash updated the firmware.

I'm connect via USB to my PC (windows 10). 2 analog inputs are plugged in, as well my headphone jack in the 3/4 output, as instructed in the manual.

However my computer doesn't recognize the headphone output, it only sees the analog inputs (in the windows 10 output settings).

In the SETUP > OPTIONS > PHONES menu, here is how it's set up :

Dual Phones > OFF
Bal TRS Ph mode > OFF
Toggle Ph/Line > OFF
Mute v. Ph 1/2 > ON
Mute v. Ph 3/4 > ON

In the I/O > Phones out 3/4 menu, here is how it's set up:

Source > Auto
Ref Level > Lo Power
Auto ref level > OFF
MONO > OFF
Width > 1
M/S Proc > OFF
Phase Invert > OFF
Crossfeed > OFF
DA filter > Sharp
De-emphasis < Auto
Dual EQ > OFF
Volume > -15 dB
Lock Volume > OFF
Balance > <C>
Mute > OFF
Dim > OFF
Loopback > OFF
Dig DC Protection > Filter
Rear TRS Source > Line 1/2

If I change the Source to Analog, at least I get to see a signal in the interface (why did the interface not see it by itself in auto mode btw ??), but still not detected by my computer anyway, so it doesn't fix the problem.

I could simply plug my headphones into my computer directly, and it works using the computer's own crappy amp, however the volume there is too weak to monitor the analog signal, and is not good quality.

I just want to be able to plug into the 3/4 phone output and monitor from there what's happening in my DAW and in my computer, similarly to how it works on the UCX II.

2 (edited by ericseaberg 2024-07-13 17:33:56)

Re: [Solved] Headphone output not recognized by computer ?

I'm on a Mac with the ADI-2 Pro, not 2/4, and my computer has NEVER seen the HP output... it sees the inputs and outputs available and that's it.  Switching to headphones needs to be done on the device itself, or get the ADI-2 Remote software to run on your desktop if you don't want to select on the device itself.

Remote is available here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=39029

3 (edited by chapitil 2024-07-13 17:46:48)

ericseaberg wrote:

I'm on a Mac with the ADI-2 Pro, not 2/4, and my computer has NEVER seen the HP output... it sees the inputs and outputs available and that's it.  Switching to headphones needs to be done on the device itself, or get the ADI-2 Remote software to run on your desktop if you don't want to select on the device itself.

Remote is available here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=39029

Thanks, but I'm confused. How do you monitor your output in your DAW if your computer doesn't recognizes it ?
Also, you mention "switching to heaphones needs to be done on the device itself". How do I do that ? I'm out of ideas, given the settings I already configured.

Here are the device settings I get, when I open the remote software. And PH 34 settings.

4 (edited by ramses 2024-07-13 17:59:08)

So you installed the MADIface ASIO driver and made in the windows sound setting either analog 1/2 or phones 3/4 to your standard audio device, so that you can hear system sound and audio from applications without ASIO support (Windows, Firefox, etc).

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ppzoy63iiqnxgds4u2ocg/2024-07-13-ADI-2-Pro-Std-Audio-Device.jpg?rlkey=c8l7383n3veczff52eb6avzan&amp;dl=1

And for applications which support an ASIO driver ...
Did you load the RME MADIface ASIO driver? MusicBee player as example ...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2b7eevcsckbxpj99h8x7r/2024-07-13-MusicBee-MADIface-ASIO-driver-1-of-2.jpg?rlkey=fd052rwrebye26b6yjcl9dqcn&amp;dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/cou5zdl48ikrmhy3ya6qk/2024-07-13-MusicBee-MADIface-ASIO-driver-2-of-2.jpg?rlkey=6gqim6iox6luw5faoyextco29&amp;dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

chapitil wrote:

How do you monitor your output in your DAW if your computer doesn't recognizes it ?
Also, you mention "switching to heaphones needs to be done on the device itself". How do I do that ? I'm out of ideas, given the settings I already configured.

Here are the device settings I get, when I open the remote software. And PH 34 settings.

My DAW is ProTools and is sees the Analogue outs of the ADI, as well as SPDIF and AES output. The ADI-2 must be setup in MULTI MODE to see these. Originally I had setup the headphones as another output, but it makes more sense for me to switch on the ADI-2.  This can be done but PUSHING the volume knob on the ADI-2 which switches output between outs 1 & 2 on the rear, and headphones 3 & 4 on the front.  I also use the parametric EQ in the unit to compensate for my headphone EQ differences (BeyerDynamic DT1990 Pro).

I'm sure there are many Windows users here who can help you further.

Thank you guys for your help.
Yes the ASIO driver was installed and loaded.

The problem was simply that I selected "Analog" as my source for the headphone 3/4 output, whereas USB 1/2 needed to be selected for it to work.
My bad.