Topic: BabyFace Pro Fs Output Gain Issue

Good day, I recently acquired a used Fs, I have noticed that when connecting directly to an external Mixer or device the gain does not match, for example when the gain coming out of the Fs is @ 0 the input gain on the UCX is -17.5, and this is without any pad or cable problem ( I have tried with different cables) Is this normal or is there a possibility that the used Fs has a problem. I appreciate your help, I have asked in different places, gotten different fixes  suggestions and no change in results, thanks in advance.

Mike

2 (edited by waedi 2024-09-26 02:51:01)

Re: BabyFace Pro Fs Output Gain Issue

How did you measure ? Where have you seen the -17,5 ? sure the input gain knob of this input is fully closed in Totalmix UCX ?
Edit :
On the bottom side of the Babyface is a little switch +4 or +19, try out +19

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

How did you measure ? Where have you seen the -17,5 ? sure the input gain knob of this input is fully closed in Totalmix UCX ?

I'm taking this measurement from the input level of the UCX, and I know I'm going out of the BabyFace with 0, I am not adding any makeup gain on the UCX, I just want to know if this is normal, -17 from 0 is pretty drastic, that's why I'm asking, I'll send it right back I still have time.

4 (edited by waedi 2024-09-26 02:55:47)

See my edit above

A test that I would do : Cable Loopback
An XLR cable from Output to input on the Babyface only and looking the signal in Totalmix.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by ramses 2024-09-26 07:04:07)

Check reference levels on analog output of Babyface Pro FS and analog input of the UCX.

Maybe you set consumer level on the sending side and are using Studio level on the analog input of the other side, which gives you moreEDIT: headrooml, but then you have of course a weaker input signal.

I would 1st of all use the correct analog signal levels before fiddling around with digital gain.

Babyface Pro FS has a switch on the underside where you can set the maximum XLR output level to either +19 dBu (default) or +4 dBu. This alone is a difference of 15 dB for the output level.

The rear inputs of the UCX can be switched between 3 different reference levels or "input sensitivities" in other words:
Lo Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ Lo Gain: +19 dBu
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

The reference level settings for the UCX (in this case for the inputs) you find in TotalMix FX behind the wrench symbol in the top row (HW inputs).

You might have set +4 dBu on the Babyface Pro FS analog output and perhaps a lower sensitivity +19 dBu on the analog input of the UCX.

Check also fader position in TM FX of the analog output of the Babyface Pro FS whether it is set to 0dB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by mikytron 2024-09-26 04:11:08)

waedi wrote:

Edit :
On the bottom side of the Babyface is a little switch +4 or +19, try out +19

Yup that did it, thank you sir I appreciate your help

Now its just @ -2.2  from a signal coming in @ 0, still better

ramses wrote:

Check reference levels on analog output of Babyface Pro FS and analog input of the UCX.

Maybe you set consumer level on the sending side and are using Studio level on the analog input of the other side, which gives you more threshold well, but then you have of course a weaker input signal.

I would 1st of all use the correct analog signal levels before fiddling around with digital gain.

Babyface Pro FS has a switch on the underside where you can set the maximum XLR output level to either +19 dBu (default) or +4 dBu. This alone is a difference of 15 dB for the output level.

The rear inputs of the UCX can be switched between 3 different reference levels or "input sensitivities" in other words:
Lo Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ Lo Gain: +19 dBu
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

The reference level settings for the UCX (in this case for the inputs) you find in TotalMix FX behind the wrench symbol in the top row (HW inputs).

You might have set +4 dBu on the Babyface Pro FS analog output and perhaps a lower sensitivity +19 dBu on the analog input of the UCX.

Check also fader position in TM FX of the analog output of the Babyface Pro FS whether it is set to 0dB.

Thank you, I appreciate your help

What's the level you see at the hardware output? You are referring to the output gain/fader setting, but not to the actual audio level. What kind of signal did you test this with?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME