Topic: ADI-648 word clock + ADAT sync

Hi.

I have an ADI-648 which I at the moment use to sync a MOTU audio interface via word clock. From the MOTU I use its ADAT outs to sync 5 PC's. My question is, since I would like to free up some of those ADAT outs, can I just as well continue to sync the MOTU via word clock, but sync the PC's directly from the ADI-648 ADAT outs at the same time, or will these two syncs not be... in sync? Which is the best way? To keep the MOTU syncing all the other PC's via ADAT or use the ADAT outs from the ADI-648?

Thanks.

Simon

2 (edited by roon 2009-10-31 20:49:54)

Re: ADI-648 word clock + ADAT sync

Without knowing what soundcards are the 5 PCs and what motu interface, it is difficult to tell. Maybe the wordclock connections are redundant and all can be synced via ADAT alone.

To see what this hardware can really do i would recommend a MADI card, to replace the MOTU. How does 64 input channels from those 5 pc samplers sound?

It sounds amazing!

best

johann.

Anyway, rme products gives really very good wordclock. So why not using an rme product as the master of the wordclock ?
you must ear the difference betweeen rme and other products as master clock, you have to hear something different (larger stereo, precise hi freq, and ...). Do the test and get back to this thread please !

Best regards

roon wrote:

Without knowing what soundcards are the 5 PCs and what motu interface, it is difficult to tell. Maybe the wordclock connections are redundant and all can be synced via ADAT alone.

To see what this hardware can really do i would recommend a MADI card, to replace the MOTU. How does 64 input channels from those 5 pc samplers sound?

It sounds amazing!

best

johann.

1) I don't understand why you need to know what soundcards I have in those PC's? I said that they were all hooked up via ADAT. Anyway, they are RME cards, mostly Digi9632.

2) I already have 64 input channels. Actually more with the MOTU if I need it. I had a PCI RME MADI card, but was disappointed that RME offered no upgrade path from PCI to PCIe and they charge even more for their PCIe MADI card - also, when I first needed a solution for my Mac Pro, the PCIe version wasn't available yet. So I went for MOTU.

Grag38 wrote:

Anyway, rme products gives really very good wordclock. So why not using an rme product as the master of the wordclock ?
you must ear the difference betweeen rme and other products as master clock, you have to hear something different (larger stereo, precise hi freq, and ...). Do the test and get back to this thread please !

Best regards

Uhm.. I am already syncing (the MOTU) from the RME wordclock? Please read my question again...:)

So you are using the ADI-648 simply as a master BNC wordclock at the moment (and not for any MADI>ADAT conversion)?  I haven't used the ADI-648, but if it presents a clock on the ADAT output ports even w/o any MADI connections, then it should work.  I believe Sync should line up without issues assuming the MOTU isn't doing anything weird to the clock (the MOTU's ADAT clock should still be in sync with the MOTU's BNC input, therefore also be in sync with the ADI-648's ADAT ports).  I prefer Wordclock/BNC to sync multiple units, but your Digi9632's don't have WC BNC IIRC.

Just curious - which MOTU interface has 5 ADAT output ports?  I'm assuming you have multiple MOTU BOB's on a single MOTU card?  Sounds like a flexible and powerful setup you've got there smile

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

7 (edited by Simon R. 2009-11-05 10:09:31)

Randyman... wrote:

So you are using the ADI-648 simply as a master BNC wordclock at the moment (and not for any MADI>ADAT conversion)?  I haven't used the ADI-648, but if it presents a clock on the ADAT output ports even w/o any MADI connections, then it should work.  I believe Sync should line up without issues assuming the MOTU isn't doing anything weird to the clock (the MOTU's ADAT clock should still be in sync with the MOTU's BNC input, therefore also be in sync with the ADI-648's ADAT ports).  I prefer Wordclock/BNC to sync multiple units, but your Digi9632's don't have WC BNC IIRC.

Just curious - which MOTU interface has 5 ADAT output ports?  I'm assuming you have multiple MOTU BOB's on a single MOTU card?  Sounds like a flexible and powerful setup you've got there smile

cool

Yes, the ADI-648 is only providing wordclock for the MOTU interface(s) right now, but I would like to explore the possibility to use the ADI's ADAT outputs to sync the PC's that are now sync'ed by the MOTU's ADAT outs. And yes, I believe the ADI-648 provides sync on the ADAT, since it is also meant for stand-alone use and has internal/external clock capabilities etc.

Right, wordclock on all machines would be the best but I can't equip all the PC's with WC unfortunately.

I use a PCI-424e card which has three firewire connection going out to  3 MOTU 2408's. Each of the 2408'ss have three ADAT in/outs.

Thanks.

Simon