Topic: FFUC "Fireface USB Settings" icon at lower right task bar disappears

Hi!

When handling the FFUC box along with the PC, i.e. powering the FFUC ON/OFF, USB cable insert/remove, setting PC in sleep mode, etc.

Problem description:
1.  Suddenly the "Fireface USB Settings" short-cut disappears from the lower right taskbar. Where to find it?
2.  It can't be found at the RME software installation, which is CRAP. When inserting the RME CD which came with the FFUC box, browsing "Fireface UC Win" folder, there it is. It can only be found on the RME CD.
3.  The "Fireface USB Settings" window appears, but with a second instance in the same window. Instead of 4 tabs which is normal, a set of 3 tabs appears, like this: Fireface UC(1), Gain(1), LTC(1), Fireface UC(2), Gain(2), LTC(2), About.
4.  After a restart of the PC, the "Fireface USB Settings" short-cut appears again in the lower right task bar.
5.  This has happened several times and gives a feeling of bad quality. This must be corrected.
6.  Besides, when handling the FFUC box as described above, suddenly an Error message appears.

This is of course not acceptable, RME stuffs should be good stuff, not crappy stuff. Handling FFUC MUST NOT REQUIRE PC RESTART ALL THE TIME.

regards Birger

Re: FFUC "Fireface USB Settings" icon at lower right task bar disappears

Hello,

thank you for your kind and friendly words. It's always a pleasure to help... cool

Birger wrote:

Problem description:
1.  Suddenly the "Fireface USB Settings" short-cut disappears from the lower right taskbar. Where to find it?

Sometimes inactive icons are hidden. This is something that Windows will do. Right-click on the taskbar and select properties, then you will find a setting to change the behaviour of inactive icons. Further guidance can be found here: http://malektips.com/xp_taskbar_start_0038.html

2.  It can't be found at the RME software installation, which is CRAP. When inserting the RME CD which came with the FFUC box, browsing "Fireface UC Win" folder, there it is. It can only be found on the RME CD.

We always appreciate constructive criticism... Why is the installation "Crap"? Besides that, the actual application is in Windows/System32, should you need to start it manually. But probably it's just a hidden icon. This has been discussed on this forum before, by the way.

3.  The "Fireface USB Settings" window appears, but with a second instance in the same window. Instead of 4 tabs which is normal, a set of 3 tabs appears, like this: Fireface UC(1), Gain(1), LTC(1), Fireface UC(2), Gain(2), LTC(2), About.

When does this happen? When you manually start the application from the CD?

4.  After a restart of the PC, the "Fireface USB Settings" short-cut appears again in the lower right task bar.

So it probably just hides after some time.

5.  This has happened several times and gives a feeling of bad quality. This must be corrected.

Indeed, you are right. Just change the Windows setting and you will experience a feeling of good quality.

6.  Besides, when handling the FFUC box as described above, suddenly an Error message appears.

What is the exact nature of this error message?

This is of course not acceptable, RME stuffs should be good stuff, not crappy stuff. Handling FFUC MUST NOT REQUIRE PC RESTART ALL THE TIME.

Certainly. We will have to talk to Microsoft about this...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

While it it possible that this is just "hiding" behavior it could also be the same behavior I had with the FF400 on Vista 64-bit where both the FF Settings and Totalmix kept being removed from memory (including Tray-Icon) out of the blue. It did not happen with the UC on the very same setup though.

Restarting them by simply running their respective .exe files usually helped. I did not see that kind of behavior on Windows 7 64-bit yet.

Hi everybody,
I seem to have the same problem , at first it seemed a one time thing.
I'm running the FFUC on XP-Lite (definitely something PC users should try ,since we're talking Microsoft here, there's always something)

I've tried the 'hidden icons' part but after 2 restarts it still remains .
I'm going to check the recommended website but I don't expect to find anything useful.

Hi back again....problem solved.It was indeed the hidden icons.Thanx