Topic: New user, need some advice on how to midi control FF800 with BCF2000

Hi all,
I've been following the instructions on the FF800 manual, but I dont manage to get it to work. I've set my Behringer BCF2000 to Mackie for Steinberg control. Its midied in an out directly into the Fireface.
I'm on a Mac G5 running system 10.4.10.
Can someone who is using the BCF2000 let me know their settings and how they got it to work?
Many thanks in advance
Andrea

2 (edited by S-E Hansson 2007-07-21 16:24:22)

Re: New user, need some advice on how to midi control FF800 with BCF2000

Hi,

In TotalMixer/FirefaceMixer app
tick and use "Enable Midi Control" in the Options menu
even check Midi cable In/Out

I believe there's a problem with midi control with the latest Fireface driver (2.73).

S-E Hansson wrote:

Hi,

In TotalMixer/FirefaceMixer app
tick and use "Enable Midi Control" in the Options menu
even check Midi cable In/Out

Thanks, I've done that, still no luck. Looks like there really might be a problem with the driver.

What MIDI ports did you choose via F3?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by babymicrobe 2007-07-23 15:18:32)

MC wrote:

What MIDI ports did you choose via F3?

In the preferences I have MIDI input: FF (c00) Port1, MIDI output FF (C00) Port1. I have Enable Midi Control checked.
The FF800 seems to receive midi commands (the midi i/o led lights up), but the BCF2000 behaves erraticaly, faders slowly resetting themselves to the default position.

Regards
AR

7 (edited by Sander 2007-07-23 20:33:38)

Does midi remote work in standalone mode? (FF800 disconnected from the MAC)
First "enable midi control" in totalmix and then "flash current mixerstate".

are you using output port-A on the bcf?

btw.
I got it to work by following the instructions in both the ff manual and the bcf manual.

8 (edited by babymicrobe 2007-07-23 22:46:15)

Sander wrote:

Does midi remote work in standalone mode? (FF800 disconnected from the MAC)
First "enable midi control" in totalmix and then "flash current mixerstate".

are you using output port-A on the bcf?

btw.
I got it to work by following the instructions in both the ff manual and the bcf manual.

For some reason, if the BCF200 is switched on "Enable Midi Control " will not check now. I am using bank A. Could you kindly let me know the settings you have on the BCF2000? Mine is on MC C ( Mackie for Steinberg) using stand alone mode 1.
The firmware is 1.10.
Many thanks in advance!
Andrea

Hello,

We tested this and it works.

There are a few things to take into account:

The BCF must be in Mackie Control Mode. When switching it on, "MC C" must be displayed after the firmware version (which must be at least 1.07).

MIDI/USB configuration must be correct and cabled accordingly. This is somewhat complicated and requires in-depth study of the manual.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

10 (edited by babymicrobe 2007-07-24 20:46:11)

RME Support wrote:

Hello,

We tested this and it works.

There are a few things to take into account:

The BCF must be in Mackie Control Mode. When switching it on, "MC C" must be displayed after the firmware version (which must be at least 1.07).

MIDI/USB configuration must be correct and cabled accordingly. This is somewhat complicated and requires in-depth study of the manual.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have read the BCF2000 manual inside out. smile
As I said in the posts above my settings are: "MC C", Stand Alone Mode S-1 (no USB), and the midi cabling goes from BCF2000 OUT  A to the Fireface800 IN and Fireface OUT to BCF2000 IN.   
The firmware is 1.10, so that should be alright then.
Could you kindly let me know which setting you used?
Many thanks in advance
Andrea

Ok, its done. The key is to use USB (with the BCF set to USB mode 1, rather than S-1), not a midi connection  - the manual threw me off because it talks about midi ports. Then it works flawlessly.

You have to use S-4, not S-1. Then it works without USB as well. Obviously it can't work correctly when you use a configuration that includes a MIDI loop.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey guys,

RME/users - I need your help to resolve this before I go insane!

I've had a BCF2000 for a few days and I'm ready to destroy it! I've read in detail all of the above and numerous online sites but STILL can't get it to control my FF400...

I have MIDI connected (or USB connected ready in case). I have the same set up as 'babymicrobe' my settings are: "MC C" (after holding down the top 2nd from left most button on power up) , and the midi cabling goes from BCF OUT A to the FF400 IN and FF400 OUT to BCF IN.   
The firmware is 1.10. I've tried using it as described but the only way I've found to get anything working (and even then incorrectly!) is to connect FF out to BCF out b/thru and FF in to BCF out a... the faders on the BCF move the totalmix faders but then snap back to zero position... Why this works I don't know but it not right! :s

The BCF works in Logic 8 as a controller in LC and MC C modes via USB and MIDI but not as a controller for the FF400. I love the FF and I only bought the BCF to control totalmix for quick talk back functions and levels... PLEASE ANYONE HELP ! Thanks in advance.

MY setup is; iMac 24" 2.8ghz, 4Gigs RAM, FF400 piggybacked from various drives connected via FF800 port. Logic 8.

Acomagreen wrote:

I've tried using it as described but the only way I've found to get anything working (and even then incorrectly!) is to connect FF out to BCF out b/thru and FF in to BCF out a... the faders on the BCF move the totalmix faders but then snap back to zero position... Why this works I don't know but it not right! :s

I am having the same problem. my bcf2000 is usb connected, using operating mode u-1, with MC C emulation mode selected. in my ff8 options i have midi enabled, and have selected the bcf2000 for both midi input and output. I have no feedback to the bcf2000 when controlling faders via mouse, and when I use the bcf2000 faders they do control the totalmix faders but then the bcf2000 motorised faders snap back to their original position.

cheers daniel