Topic: Digital clocking question

Hello,

Currently I am using the Fireface 400 with a digital preamplifier that has an AES-3 output. The preamplifier is connected to the S/PDIF input of the FF400. In this case, the FF400 is set to Autosync mode and preferred reference clock is set to S/PDIF, so the FF400 is slave and the preamplifier is master. This works very well.

I plan on getting an ADAT 8-input 8-output converter. Can I set it to slave mode, plug it to the ADAT sockets of the FF400, and everything will work correctly (still using the preamplifier as master clock)?

Best regards
-j

Re: Digital clocking question

Sure, if the AD/DA is able to sync to ADAT input. You can always take Word Clock out of the FF400 as well (still running the preamp as clock master).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Digital clocking question

Thanks for your answer. Actually it looked logical, but as I never tried using both S/PDIF and ADAT at the same time I preferred asking before.

The AD/DA is a second hand Marian ADcon that a friend is selling. It does not have any Word Clock socket but anyway from the manual it can sync to a valid ADAT clock signal:

"The ?Mode? switch changes the operation mode of your ADCON:
(...)
In ?AD/DA? position, the ADCON synchronizes to the sampling rate of the existing ADAT signal and works as clock slave."

-j