Topic: TotalMix Fx Midi Control of Software Playback Fader

Hello RME,

I am able to setup successful midi commands for Inputs and Outputs. But the software playback fader that I control is always linked to the SPDIF output. When I select e.g. AN1/2 I can control the software playback manual by the playback fader via mouse, but not by midi. Only if I select the SPDIF output I see the faders moving (tested with chan5, cc102).

Is that a user (misunderstanding) error e.g. what is the function "Submixes linked to midi control"? or is this a fix setting?

Thanks
Sascha

Re: TotalMix Fx Midi Control of Software Playback Fader

The channels are controlled this way because for MIDI remote your current submix is set to SPDIF. To change that select a MIDI out port via F3, so that you can see the 8-channel block under MIDI control. The position of this block doesn't matter. Now select the submix that you want to control, then set the MIDI out port back to None.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I changed MIDI out to that controller as well, but I can?t see any new block (panel?) that appears where I can select the submix. Please give me a hint.

There is no new panel. 8 channels will get a different coloured label if Mackie Control is activated. And this happens when you set a MIDI output port and MIDI remote is enabled.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay, after I enable "Submixes linked to midi control" it worked like you mention. But how can I control the level of playback for all submixes. Disable  "Submixes linked to midi control" did not help.

Also I like to control the input of two submixes, e.g. Output AN1/2 from input AN1/2+3/4 (2 midi faders) and Output AN3/4 from Input 5/6+7/8 (2 midi faders)

Is that possible? Or is MIDI Input+Playback always link to one output (submix). To control the Input +Playback level for all submixes would be fine for me as well.

B.t.w., thanks for you incredible fast response!!!

Sascha

At this time (mentioned in the manual) MIDI remote is based on the Submix view.

Controlling all submixes (via faders of channel rows 1 and 2) is done with the new Trim function. You can activate TrimGains, means Global Trim mode, with MIDI note 2D / 45 / A2 (hex / decimal / keys). Active TrimGain mode is only displayed in the TM FX surface when you assign a real or fake MIDI out port, but the function works always. I think the non-working display will be fixed soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Some things are still not easy to understand with that topic. I am sure it is so because of all the features you can use...

I have still the following issue:

I setup submix 1. e.g. SW-Playback 1/2 to HW-Output 1/2 and  2. e.g. SW-Playback 3/4 to HW-Output 3/4.
Set the 8 channel block is under midi control.
Enable trim gain via note 45.

I can control now SW-Playback 1/2 via chan5/102 and 3/4 via chan5/104, but when I move the fader to zero, the fader stops working and stay at zero.

If I don?t move the fader and leave the midi control (midi output to none) it is the same. Enable trim gain via note 45 even without display work, but either for the single submix or trim gain until fader is down as well.

How to continuous trim gain 0-100% with midi contol without loosing control (after set fader to zero, it stops working)?
How does the function: "Submix linked to midi control" work?

Thanks
Sascha

Your example makes no real sense as TrimGain is not needed in it. And MIDI control does not stop working on my system, I can move the fader wherever I want and continue to do so. Which version of TM FX are you using? How are you sending the cc commands, I mean with what device? You can use SendSX to view if you really continue to send MIDI notes into the MIDI input? Just let it run in parallel to TM FX. And don't worry, we'll get it running.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am using driver 0.961 and totalmixfx 0.915.

My Controller is an ICon (www.icon-global.com) I-Controls V1.01. They have a little Windows tool, called I-Map where you can setup the USB Midi-Device. Also Mackie Control is possible.

So to make the trim-gain issue (if it is one?) more easy to understand. Here are my steps.

1.) Exit TotalMix FX
2.) I reset Total Mix FX to defaults (delete AppData\Local\TotalMixFX\*.xml)
3.) Start TotlaMix FX, Set MIDI-in to ICons Controller, Enable MIDI Control.
4.) I can now control the inputs of the default submix Out AN1/2, e.g. chan 1, 102 = AN1. I can move the fader from 0-100% without any issue.
5.) I set the fader, chan 1, 102 = AN1 to 100%, then I setup a button on the I-Controls to chan 1, 45 for the trim-gain function.
6.) I enable trim gain with that button (even if I can?t see it, it work!)
7.) Now I move the fader from AN1 from 100% to any other value via midi without any problem, except 0%. Whenever I reached 0% the fader stops moving at all --> the current issue!
8.) If I disable trim gain by 45 again, I can move the fader as before. Enable trim gain agin works again until 0% is reached.

I hope my explanation is understandable.

To understand my requirements better and maybe to have another better idea for the setup. Here it is:

I am one of two DJ?s which working always togehter. We are using 2 PC?s. One for DJ, one for VJ. RME Babyface (hope i come next week) will be for the DJ-Set, 3 chan musicsoftware, 1 chan microphone (Echo etc.). The babyface will go via adat to fireface input. fireface drive also max.9 chan musicsoftware. The 3 Stereo outputs of fireface will go to one analog mixer (the mixer is mainly for plan B, and EQ settings, due to RME not support this via MIDI yet.)

Now I need to control via the I-Control MIDI 3 submixes which are the 3 Stereo outputs of fireface. That mean, I need to control the 8 Hardware Inputs (ADAT from DJ-Set) and all Software Inputs of the Fireface UC.

I understand during your support that it is not possible to control the inputs of 3 submixes via MIDI. Now I see light at the end of the tunnel to use Trim gain for it. That is possible for me, because there is only a 1:1 link between input and submix.

I am open to any new idea!

Thanks
Sascha

Before I recheck the error let me first point out a misunderstanding. TrimGains will controll all routings of ONE input or playback channel to whatever number of hardware outputs, at the same time. This is not what you described. What you need is a simple ganging of faders. Like you would use the group feature in TM FX. And this would also be your solution, as long as you don't use the unit offline (means stand-alone). Just set up a group for the faders then when moving one by MIDI the others will follow.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

okay, this is a missunderstandig. I need e.g. one fader at my midi control for ADAT chan1 in, one for SW playpack 1 etc. So if I trim gain of SW playpack 1 it will effect e.g. only Stereo output 1. This because the input is only linked to one output. So trim gain is what helps me.

The group feature would be one fader, several moving of other faders. This could be used as Master, but not for my requirement, right?

Thanks
Sascha

It works like this without TrimGains active. Again: If you route sw playback 1 to hardware oputput 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 etc then TrimGain will allow you to change all output levels at the same time by just moving the fader of SW playback 1.

In your example

> I setup submix 1. e.g. SW-Playback 1/2 to HW-Output 1/2 and  2. e.g. SW-Playback 3/4 to HW-Output 3/4.

TrimGains would just do nothing. For it to have a function the routing must be like

SW-Playback 1/2 to HW-Output 1/2 and  2. e.g. SW-Playback 1/2 to HW-Output 3/4

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And we found indeed two issues that could explain your problems. Please set a MIDI Out port so that the unit is in Mackie mode, everything should work then. Update coming...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe that explain that I had sometimes also an exception in TotalMix FX (in normal mode, no midi-out). I was not able really to reproduce that, so I didn?t tell you.

I also have to confess you something. You remember that I had problem to become the 8 channel block under midi control (being yellow with 5pin DIN connector display). I was not able to see that when I select as midi out to the I-Controls. I don?t know why? Just by mistake, I set midi out to "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth". That enable midi control (block yellow) and I was able to change the submix from SPDIF to something other. So my "workaround" helps me. But I am for sure not able to leave it that way, bacause then I see also a strange behavoiur on one input signal. And it is not a "right" operation.

I will wait for news from you...

Sorry, I didn?t see your message from 08:00.

Trim-Gain will work, I saw it until the faders reach 0%.

Fader One attached to SW-Playback 1/2 which is submixed to HW-Output 1/2.
Fader Two attached to SW-Playback 3/4 which is submixed to HW-Output 3/4.

So I really control the SW-Playback 1/2 by one fader to a different output (1/2) than the other fader of SW-Playback 3/4 (3/4).

Without trim gain the the faders attached to SW-Playback will only affect on the same output (submix).

I did not need to attach one input to two outputs like you mention with "SW-Playback 1/2 to HW-Output 1/2 and  2. e.g. SW-Playback 1/2 to HW-Output 3/4". As I mention 1:1 or N:1 link.

Maybe this makes it more clear:
At the end I will have e.g. SW-Playback 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 controlled by 3 faders to out1/2 and
SW-Playback 7/8, SPDIF, ADAT1, ADAT2 controlled by 4 faders to out 3/4

Out 1/2 go analog to one channel of a DJ mixer, out 3/4 go to another channel of a DJ mixer.

I am sorry that we need some time to have a common understanding. I am not really a studio-expert, so my thinking might be different.

Please tell me if this is clear now or if you have further questions.

Sascha

Any update available? Maybe this week? I like to test the trim-gain live (friday) and the fake Mackie mode by my controller will not make me happy...

Thanks!

Sascha

Are the necessary fixes included in the beta 0.922?

Best regards
Sascha

Please try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I can confirm it work. The strange behaviour with the faders stopping working at 0% is gone!

Thanks to the RME team!!!

If you ever plan to control other function like the EQ via MIDI, please let me know. This would replace for me the last piece of Hardware (Mixer) between RME and AMP.