Topic: Babyface balanced output is NOT servobalanced

With the Babyface already on the road for delivery, I've got a question concerning the connection of my Babyface to my mixer (Yamaha MG 16-6 FX).

This mixer has balanced mic inputs (XLR) and unbalanced line inputs (1/4'' jacks). On the other hand, the two analog outputs of the Babyface (XLR) are NOT servosymmetric ("Die elektronische Ausgangsschaltung arbeitet nicht servosymmetrisch! Bei Anschluss unsymmetrischer Ger?te ist daher unbedingt darauf zu achten, dass der Pin 3 des XLR-Ausgangs frei bleibt. Eine Verbindung mit Masse f?hrt zu erh?htem Klirrfaktor!", cf. Babyface Manual v1.2, page 74).

So, I am wondering what the optimal connection would be:

1.) Use of two XLR mic inputs (2 x mono = stereo) of the Yamaha mixer? (What about the mic preamplifiers of the mixer? Is it possible NOT to use them? Gain setting = 0? Is the sound getting worse by this approach?)

2.) Use of the unbalanced line inputs of the Yamaha mixer? (In this case I would use an XLR-to-1/4'' jack adapter to plug in my balanced XLR cable? Is this a problem since the Babyface output is NOT servosymmetric?)

Any comments of the experienced studio users out there is highly appreciated!! Thank you!

P.S. I already own the unbalanced breakout cable of the Babyface. So I could use the Cinch connections. However, I would pretty much prefer to use my high-quality XLR cables (Vovox Protect XLR-XLR).

Re: Babyface balanced output is NOT servobalanced

More than 100 views but no comments!

Can somebody give me an advice? Knut?

All that means is don't short the Babyface's XLR "Pin 3" to ground for unbalanced connections.

So: XLR Pin 2 to 1/4" "Tip", XLR pin 1 to 1/4" "Sleeve", and XLR Pin 3 is not connected.  An off the shelf XLR to TRS would probably work assuming the Yamaha doesn't short the TRS Ring to ground (sleeve).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thank you, Randyman, for your help!

I understand the theory/physics. But in real life, which adapter should I use for my balanced XLR cable to plug into the unbalanced line input of my mixer:

* XLR female to Jack male (mono)
http://www.thomann.de/de/neutrik_na_2_fp.htm

OR

* XLR female to Jack male (stereo = TRS)
http://www.thomann.de/de/neutrik_na3fp_adapter.htm

I don't know the wiring inside these Neutrik adapters!

And what about my second scenario:

Use of two XLR mic inputs (2 x mono = stereo) of the Yamaha mixer? I plug the XLR male from the analog output of the babyface directly into the XLR female of the mic inputs of my mixer.
What about the mic preamplifiers of the mixer? Is it possible NOT to use them? Gain setting = 0? Is the sound getting worse by this approach?

Thanks a lot for your help!

5 (edited by Randyman... 2010-11-17 21:18:14)

The wiring isn't specified on those links - so I can't tell you either.

If your Yamaha's 1/4" unbalanced inputs won't short the Ring (On a TRS) to Sleeve (ground), then a regular "off the shelf" XLR to TRS cable will work fine.  Check your Yamaha manual for that info...

Using the Yamaha's XLR Mic inputs will likely work fine assuming the gain staging won't introduce undue noise.  If the Mic inputs have pads - you'll likely need to engage them...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8