Topic: Digicheck Monitoring options

Hi
My name is Mikael Korner and I must say that I really like the Digicheck feature that came with my Fireface 800.
I use ProTools Le with Digi 002R together with a FF800 and a ADI8DS with presets made in Totalmix so I can easily shift between different output levels/speakers etc all controlled by an Euphonix MC.

My question is:
Would it be possible to tell DIGIcheck to monitor the software playback?

Right now I use ADAT to send 5.1 audio from ProTools to my FF800 so I monitor ADAT1 in Digicheck and that work perfectly BUT if I for example play a movie in VLC then I can't choose a hardware input so I can't monitor the audio in the Totalyser.

I know about the "loopback mode" but I haven't really figured out how it works and I have so much gear connected

/Mikael

BTW! Is there a specific Digicheck Manual pdf file? I only have the FF800 and I have searched the RME site without any luck

Re: Digicheck Monitoring options

Any stereo input free? Then set up a mixdown on these channels of all possible sources and activate Loopback. That way you will see all the signals, no matter who plays what.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias
Thanx a lot for the fast reply. Right now I have the 2nd ADAT input completely unused but as soon as Digidesign will release their new hardware I'm hoping they will support dualspeed for 96kHz on ADAT!

However I will definitely try it out and perhaps I can find some kind of workaround because it's really handy to have the DigiCheck analyser up all the time and like I said it works perfect from ProTools to FF800 via ADAT.

Cheers / Mike

Hello
Just tried to monitor VLC with 5.1 sound using the 2nd Adat and loopback and it works like a dream! Guess I should have read the help file earlier...

thanx / Mike

Funny, Digicheck has allowed WINDOWS users to monitor the outputs for years. So why has RME failed to make this work on mac! Grrrrrrrr. Instead of first off offering a workaround.

Just make it work!! (Please :-)

TuckerMix wrote:

Funny, Digicheck has allowed WINDOWS users to monitor the outputs for years. So why has RME failed to make this work on mac! Grrrrrrrr. Instead of first off offering a workaround.

Just make it work!! (Please :-)

Ummm, maybe ASIO vs Core audio?

You need to do some research before making statements like that.

Isaac.

Oh great! So the problem has been identified. So the firmware & drivers cannot be updated to address this limitation? I guess FF800 is a legacy product now anyway so shouldn't get my hopes up.

It's just ironic that you'd want to use this app to analyze the audio you are working on in the box... but you can't.

Thanks for the info! Cheers.

Tucker, honestly - don't spread such BS around, please...

DC rules!

Tuckermix... what tha?   It's been working great for sometime now on the Mac!!!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

10 (edited by TuckerMix 2010-11-27 04:23:44)

I'm seriously not trying to be rude or insulting in any way. And I apologize if I've come across that way.

I guess what I'm looking for is somebody to chime in and say there is a technical limitation to adding this functionality by either a firmware or driver (or both) upgrade? It has always work on windows. If its not possible on mac then fine.

I'd also like to correct myself, Fireface 800 is not deprecated by Fireface UFX, hence not legacy as I assumed in my last post.

Mattrixx,
OUTPUT cannot be selected in Digicheck on mac. You can only monitor INPUTS. And please correct me if I'm missing something. The only way to use digicheck to monitor audio going OUT of your RME is to patch in back in with a cable.

TuckerMix wrote:

And please correct me if I'm missing something. The only way to use digicheck to monitor audio going OUT of your RME is to patch in back in with a cable.

Check the Manual for (digital) Loopback Mode.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

Ok, thanks redlogic. This is good to know. "To activate this function, click on the white label in the third row while holding down the Ctrl-key."

It's unfortunate that this feature comes at the expense of inputs 1 & 2. On windows all I had to do was select outputs 1&2 in the digicheck audio setup dialog and not other functionality was lost.

I've been using RME for 10+ years and have convinced many people (can think of 7 people off hand) to invest in RME's extremely stable platform. In other words I'm a huge fan. Since my switch to Mac shortly after Apple's intel switchover I've been waiting for this feature to come back in some form, as I constantly used digicheck on my output on Windows. At least now I have work around on mac even though it requires a bit more workflow.

Thanks, cheers.

You can use any I/O channels for this (SPDIF, for example), as long as they are otherwise unused. You don't have to block the Analog inputs.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

But if I want to monitor my 2 mix coming out channels 1,2 I have to use loopback on 1,2 thus blocking input 1,2 mic, line correct?

Not necessarily. You can use the mixer/matrix to route these playback channels (the 2 mix) to any or all (bottom row) outputs, along with the AN 1+2 outputs.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I've gone back and reviewed the manual. Here are a couple of points.

1)
The fireface 800 manual "fface800_e" under "DigiCheck Mac" on page 46 states "Completely multi-client. Open as many measurement windows as you like, on any chan-
nels and inputs or outputs!"

That is basically incorrect as Digicheck Mac cannot select any OUTPUTs as a source for the measurement tools. Digicheck Windows can.

2)
After reviewing the manual "Recording a subgroup" on page 75, the only way NOT to loose the associated input channels (1&2) while using the Loopback feature on a pair of outputs (1&2) is to MIX the associated input channels (1&2) with another pair of loopback'ed output channels (lets say 3&4) which would result in inputs 1&2 being recorded with inputs 3&4 simultaneously on a record track. This may be undesirable in most cases.   

Page 75 of the fface800_e manual states "As each of the 28 hardware outputs can be routed to the record software, and none of these hardware inputs get lost" which is true but they're not LOST they have to be MIXED to be salvaged which in most cases would be undesirable.

CONCLUSION:
Sooooo, long story short, this is all less then desirable when on windows the user can just select an output from the digicheck preferences. This is the feature request. Make mac behave like windows so all this is much easier.

Again, all this is meant with great respect and admiration of RME, no insults or slights intended :-) 
And PLEASE correct me if anything I've stated here is not correct.

Thanks much!

#2 is true only if you are already using ALL physical outputs or inputs (Analog + 2x ADAT + SPDIF)

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

It all comes down to the fact that we stated numerous times that this feature is complicated on the Mac and therefore needs time and therefore will come but later. For all our hardware that is also currently supported by DC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Excellent! Thanks much. A link to a thread where this was previously stated would have sufficed, but thanks for baring with me.

Thanks again, cheers.

20 (edited by Khazul 2011-03-15 20:45:14)

Matthias - do you have any rough idea when you guys might start to address output monitoring for OSX? (At least for the UFX) - just curious when I have have the looped outs and ins back smile

I guess you have to consider extending the audio driver to provides some additional virtual inputs that are just local loopbacks of perhaps the first 2-8 outputs (accoridng to stereo/surround mode) or some similar hack?

I have wondered for a while if there might not actually be some merit in all the device drivers (for all platforms) supporting more ins and/or outs than physyical ins and outs on the interface just to support pure virtual submixes going back to the host computer, or physical submixes of multi-virtual channels from the computer being presented to a phsyical out. I guess total I/O bandwidth is ultimately the limiting factor unless the kind of switching available in FW mode could be extended (ADAT 1 on/off, ADAT 2 on/off, Virtual 1-8 out on/off, Virtual 1-8 in on/off for eg) and made avalail for USB mode as well. Just a thought...

The rough idea is to start it after the UFX is finished. Means USB recording and TM FX fully working.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I can't frigg'n wait...

Hey guys,
I see there is a massive success with the UFX & UCX  -
which probably means that USB recording and TM FX are fully working...

Any news about the output section with the MAC users?

FritzC wrote:

Any news about the output section with the MAC users?

I am waiting for that too...

25 (edited by ocelot12 2017-02-25 13:28:04)

7 years later and still waiting smile.....