Topic: Firewire compatability in Windows 7 64 bit

Hi guys

I stupidly upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64 bit yesterday without doing my research. Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that Windows 7 64 bit does not support firewire correctley. After spending nearly the whole of last night doing some extensive research, there are no reccomended cards which are guaranteed to work. If anyone actually does have a firewire card which works and windows 7 64 bit running please let me know.

Many thanks

Re: Firewire compatability in Windows 7 64 bit

You have to use driver 3.XXX and make a flash update.

Hey guys

Sorry to post again. Since installing windows 7 64 bit yesterday on an new pc I couldn't get the fireface 400 working, even when using the legacy driver it could not see the fireface. Feeling rather frustrated by this I installed windows XP only to find the same problem, firewire card detected and installed fine but it cannot detect the fireface 400, there is nothing in the device manager and nothing happens when you plug it in. I'm really confused now it was working absolutely fine on my old windows XP machine. The only thing which changed was the computer, so essentially it is now running on a brand new computer. What the fireface comes on the host light is red and it seems to have remembered the last setting I was using with it, so perhaps is there some kind of hard reset I could do to make it default to factory settings?

Many thanks

Can you test the FF with another computer?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have tested the firewire card with another device, a video camera and it works fine. So there is nothing wrong with the firewire card/cable, the problem must be with the fireface 400. Is there any reason it will not detect? for example it may think it is paired with the old computer as it seems to have the original settings when plugged in, for example Line 1 is set to 35.

Can you test the Fireface with another computer?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi

Just plugged into another pc, same problem.

Did you try both bus powered and with the PSU? Is the switch in the correct position?
If nothing helps, something seems to have happened to the unit... You may need to send it in.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Just an update, I managed to fix it. Quite simply the original firewire card can't have been properly compatible with the new motherboard. So I bought a new firewire card and vola! it worked. Unfortunately the only card I could get was VIA chipset but it seems to work fine. Hopefully this will help someone else.

10 (edited by big_cheesius 2011-01-02 04:18:25)

I have this problem but the computer is the same. I upgraded to W7 and I have a lot of issues.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9739

Please don't tell me that I need to buy a new motherboard because I upgraded to W7...