Topic: Logic + Fireface 800 and Monitoring

Hello,

Apologies if this seems like a repeat question, but I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for and therefore felt I should ask the question to confirm...

I am working with a fireface 800 in a live venue where I have the in ear monitors of a singer going through the fireface. The total mix software is great because latency isnt an issue for her because she can hear herself perfectly.

What i want to confirm however, is if I set up a Logic Pro 9 project to record the gig, is it still possible that I can maintain the zero latency for the singer, while recording the rest of the band? Does the total mix routing work as a virtual patchbay without latency?

If I set the buffer size of both logic and the total mix to it's minimal state (I think it's 32), will that still appear to her as no latency? Additionally, I've noticed some users suggesting to turn of the software monitoring in logic - is this a reasonable suggestion?

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I thought as I had not found my answer to check.

Craig

Re: Logic + Fireface 800 and Monitoring

Hi Craig,

Totalmix and Logic work independently. Any routing/mixing done in TotalMix does not have any effect on the audio passed to software. Personally, I would disable software monitoring in Logic and continue using the Fireface Mixer as you have been. In this configuration you can have larger buffers in Logic (which is safer for recording without clicks and pops) and no problem with your in-ear mixes.

If your computer can handle it, you could do the mix in Logic (with effects), and ignore TotalMix, but this will require a powerful computer to keep up. 32 or 64 sample buffer should be fine for this purpose.

Just be aware that you can use hardware monitoring (TotalMix) or software monitoring (Logic) but not both. When both are active you will get phasing/echo on the in-ears and the musicians will not be pleased.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Logic + Fireface 800 and Monitoring

Jeff,

This is what I was hoping for - you have literally made my evening worry free :-)!

Thank you so very much for your help and comments.

Craig