Topic: Fireface version 3 driver bluescreen issue

I have a problem using the new version 3 drivers for the Fireface 400. My machine is intermittantly crashing to Bluescreen citing fireface_64.sys as the cause. Usually it happens when I move the knob on the front panel no matter how small or large I rotate it. I dont even need to be running any DAW or audio to it and it will still do it.

It was fine on 2.999.2 drivers and as soon as I upgraded to 3.033.0 it started happening. Also happening with 3.034.0 drivers.
I'm running Windows 7 x64 Pro on an Intel DP965LT motherboard with Texas instruments Firewire controller and it has worked perfectly up until the latest drivers. I have rolled back to the 2.999.2 drivers and seems to be working fine again.

Any ideas?

2 (edited by Timur 2011-02-07 17:43:08)

Re: Fireface version 3 driver bluescreen issue

Assault, do the Blue Screens happen sporadically or are they connected with a specific action or software?

Did you try to set your Windows power profile to "High Performance"?

3 (edited by assault 2011-02-08 06:43:09)

As stated previously the bluescreens usually happen when I adjust the knob on the front panel of the Fireface. Not always, but quite often. It is not related to any software or specific action in windows. I can come out of standby, turn on the fireface, open IE, go to youtube play a video (through the onboard soundcard which connects to Fireface analogue input to play through my monitors), audio comes through the fireface no problem, then as soon as I touch the knob to adjust volume, bluescreen.

I run a customised power profile, I'll give high performance a go but I doubt it will help.

It works perfectly with the 2.9992 drivers, no bluescreens, no other changes.

Change the "PCI Express" -> "Link State Power" setting to "OFF" in your power profile. Both Medium and Maximum lead to Blue Screens with the FW based Firefaces.

Thanks for your reply's Timur. I have turned power profile to "High Performance" and the "PCI express" "link power state" setting was set to "off" but unfortunately it still bluescreens.

I believe the issue must lie in the new driver as the old driver has no problems.

The encoder uses the same data transfer as the level meters in TotalMix. Can you open that one and see input levels without crashing? Does audio work if you close TM and don't touch the encoder? Did you try to use the legacy FW driver?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I did some more troubleshooting. I can open totalmix and adjust levels without issue. Audio will play no problem. But as soon as the knob is adjusted it crashes.

Turns out the legacy FireWire driver seems to work o.k.

Its a bit disappointing that I now have to run the legacy firewire driver with version 3 drivers, I would have thought RME would be moving forward with windows 7 instead of backward.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 903#p51903

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME