Topic: 6.3mm TRS Jacks for FF400

I bought a used FF400 from an artist acquaintance, and discovered the 10 analog input and output jacks at the rear panel have all suffered some corrosion on the metal conductors inside, and making very poor contact.  The unit is otherwise working fine.  I have tried cleaning the corrosion with contact cleaner (DeoxIT) but the results are not satisfactory.

Since this FF400 is out of warranty, I would like to attempt to replace the 6.3mm TRS jacks myself.  I have extensive soldering/de-soldering experience and proper equipment (Metcal temp-controlled iron, Hakko vacuum de-soldering gun, etc.)

Can RME sell me exact replacements for the TRS jacks, or provide me the part number?  I will need 11 replacement jacks, to cover for 10 jacks at the rear and the front headphone jack.  I am located in the USA.

Many thanks!
scan80269

Re: 6.3mm TRS Jacks for FF400

This issue will be fixed on a warranty basis regardless of the unit's age. Please contact Synthax US.

[EDIT: This is now no longer valid, sorry]

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am also having an issue with corrosion on the input jacks on my FF400. I purchased the unit new in 2006. It is well beyond warranty. As with the earlier post, I would be interested to learn the availability of parts so I can replace these (myself). Are you able to provide part numbers which would allow me to find replacements for the 11 x 6.3mm TRS jacks?

I live in Australia, in case that matters.

Thank you.

4 (edited by panatrope 2018-01-24 06:53:54)

Mine had the same problem and the whole assembly (flow-soldered circuit board) was exchanged. Self replacement is not a good idea - unless you are really qualified for surface mount circuit board repair.  And identical parts may not be available. (The problem arose from a faulty batch of sockets included in manufacture - which is why repair was offered even out of the normal warranty - very responsible of RME to do so). Note also that cleaning is not an effective solution. And that plugs inserted into these jacks may be contaminated as well.

Contact Steve at Innovative Music Australia (Melbourne) to confirm repair possibilities.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

For the record: While the issue will still be fixed, I'm afraid it is no longer carried out on a warranty basis now.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, Daniel

If as stated, the unit was purchased new in Australia and this is the original purchaser, our Australian Consumer Protection laws will apply, which can offer a broader base of protection outside the scope of normal product warranty.

Which is why I suggested that Hopeful contact  IMA to discuss remediation possibilities, as Steve will be aware of the company's obligations under the law, including any precedents that may be applicable in these circumstances.

Otherwise, I offer no opinion as to what is an appropriate outcome in the particular case.  And no disrespect to RME and the quality of its customer support.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum