Topic: 9632+ADI-2 - rhythmic clicking noises

Hi!

I have connected an ADI-2 to a 9632 via coaxial (AES/EBU) and optical.
Both connections play sound. BUT:
both are also playing constant clicking noises in a ~1sec rhythm as well!
I tried to change buffers in 9632's options and in the players I'm using.
Nothing! The rhythmic clicking doesn't disappear.
If I listen directly through the 9632 everything's fine.
The clicking only occurs through ADI-2, no matter what connection.
There are not too many options to choose from in the software and on ADI-2.
I set Vista to a different primary device and disabled system sounds in Vista and XP.
Nothing helps.

Can't find anything helpful on the forums - here or elsewhere.
WHAT'S WRONG?
Please, please help.
ADI-2's sound seems to be very convincing otherwise...

Thanks.
Eunegis

Re: 9632+ADI-2 - rhythmic clicking noises

Clocking seems to be set wrong. What are your settings in the HDSP settings app and the front panel of the ADI-2? Do you have connections for Out and In between the ADI and HDSP?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by Eunegis 2011-04-21 20:48:36)

Hammerfall settings shows 44,1 (due to settings in the player - Hammerfall adjusts automatically).
ADI-2 ist set to 44,1 as well - but its blinking...
I have both in and out connected on both devices (kind of crosswise: red is out in the RO968 breakout but out as well on the ADI-2).

Your reply does not answer the question completely, but it seems like you have both devices running as Master clock. Set the ADI-2 to sync to input instead. The flashing LED indicates clocking setup is wrong.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I've set 9632 to Clock Mode AutoSync.
That alone makes me expect to let it adjust automatically as a master or slave, just as needed.
I don't know how to set ADI-2's clock behaviour. There is no such switch. I believe its always a master.
Both devices are st to professional AES/EBU protocol, but consumer doesn't make a difference.
By the way: clicking speed is faster than 1/sec, probably 4/sec.

Hold on - I've made it, I guess!
Set ADI-2 to let the right upper lamp of the clock settings shine alone. It doesn't blink.
But I don't really understand it. I intended to use the ADI-2 as a master.
Doesn't that mean right now that the 9632 is the master (if synced to input it is in my emagination synced to 9632's clock)?

Just to be sure. If you want the ADI to be master you also need a connection from the ADI digital out to the HDSP in.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

8 (edited by Eunegis 2011-04-21 21:43:01)

Yes Vincent, that's the case: I've connected both ins and outs adequately (if 9632 -> ADI-2 were connected wrong there would be no sound, so ADI-2 -> 9632 must be connected right, and both directions ARE connected).

I'm using coax at the moment, so it should be AES/EBU automatically, right?! There's no switch to choose from in that regard.
And with AES/EBU using the ADI-2 as a master should be advantageous (at least in theory).
But is ADI-2 the master right now? What would tell me it REALLY is if 9632 is set to AutoSync, but ADI-2 is set to sync to input?

HDSP 9632
SPDIF In: Coaxial
SPDIF Out: nothing selected
Clock Mode: Autosync
Pref. Sync Ref.: SPDIF In

ADI-2 set clock to 44.1 or 48 kHz, use DS or QS to multiply for higher clock rates.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes Jeff, did that.
Looks like it works now.

Why has ticking Professional in SPDIF out (9632) no noticable effect?
I thought it should be the same as in ADI-2.

And what about the AES/EBU function?
Is it automatically used by ADI-2?
If I tick it in 9632 the 9632 becomes master.

All is explained in the manual. You are using SPDIF, not AES/EBU.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Okay, reread it.

How can I use AES/EBU with ADI-2 as a master then?
Can't find anything concerning that in the manual.

Only 9632 as a master seems to provide AES/EBU, as far as I can extract it.

I think you may be a bit confused about the digital formats. SPDIF and AES/EBU are essentially the same, except SPDIF uses unbalanced cable and AES/EBU uses balanced cable. Also, AES/EBU runs at a higher output voltage.

Since both the 9632 and ADI-2 natively support optical SPDIF, coaxial SPDIF, and ADAT, just use one of these. There would be absolutely no benefit to AES/EBU over any of these other formats.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

14 (edited by Eunegis 2011-04-22 10:17:12)

I understand that AES/EBU is kind of a subcategory of SPDIF, providing additional information or capabilities.
In theory there should be an advantage using AES/EBU - in real world I don't know yet.
But I wanted to try it.

In the manuals (e.g. ADI-2: page 9) there is explained, as far as I understand it, how to use the cinch connections of the ADI-2 together with balanced output of the 9632. I conclude that even though the inlets of the ADI-2 look like being unbalanced cinch connections they can accept balanced AES/EBU from the 9632 if I use RME's digital brakeout cables (e.g. RO968), even though on the RO968 its cinch-outs are used: I expect the pin-connections of the 9-pole DIN plug of the RO968 to be set in such a way that a balanced AES/EBU signal can be sent from 9632 to ADI-2 using cinch out on RO968 (at least thats my understanding of the pin-usage explanation on page 9 of the ADI-2 manual).
That had been confirmed by Matthias in this forum (see http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10925).

Otherwise I'd need an adapter XLR->cinch from 9632 to ADI-2 which I would have to build myself paying attention to the pin-usage explanations on page 9 of ADI-2's manual for sending AES/EBU from 9632 via RO968 (using its XLR line) to ADI-2 (using its cinch input).

I'm trying to understand it at the moment. If all that will be beneficial is another discussion that I don't mean to have here.

Thanks

In the manuals (e.g. ADI-2: page 9) there is explained, as far as I understand it, how to use the cinch connections of the ADI-2 together with balanced output of the 9632.

This information in the manual is provided to allow use of the ADI-2 with a device that has AES/EBU only. Since the diagram is showing you how to make an adapter to change balanced AES/EBU to unbalanced SPDIF, you might as well just use SPDIF to begin with.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes, connecting through plain SPDIF is what I did. Works.
But my intention is to use ADI-2 as a master and connect to the slave using AES\EBU.
Can I conclude that this is not possible (with ADI-2 and 9632)?